Light-O-Rama Forums

Tips for stringing lights in trees

Klayfish

Tomorrow is day one of the multiple days I will take off of work (plus all my weekends) to get my display up and running.  One thing I'm still struggling with is how to string the lights in my trees.  Several years ago, the trees were only 8' high, so a simple ladder worked fine.  Now, they're a good 15' tall.  I told my wife that next spring I want to have a landscaper come and pull them out...I have zero desire to have really tall trees in my yard.  Anyhow, I have to put lights in these things.  I only have a 6' ladder.  Even if I got a taller one, it would be a pain.  I'm not a fan of ladders, and I'd have to climb up...string lights as far as I can reach, get down and move the ladder 2' over, then go back up and do it again.  Seems like it would take forever.  I'm not concerned if I can't get lights all the way to the top, but would like to get up decently high.  Anyone tried using some kind of extension pole to hang lights in trees?  Any tips would be appreciated. 

Extender poles is where it's at. I have one of the ones from Home Depot but I usually use an extendable boat hook with a wrench taped to it. It's much heavier duty.

Get a light weight (aluminum) extendable painters pole. Mine has three extendable lengths to go to 15'. I taped a trident-like prong on the end. I previously used a hook end but found sometimes the light strings slid off. Also with your arms over your head most times, the lighter the pole the better. My first year I used a 16' steel pole and my arms felt like lead after a few hours.

Awesome, I was thinking an extension pole is the trick.  Can any of you share a photo or link to what you bought to use as the hook/trident end? 

The holiday light extension pole for 19 bucks at HD, Lowes, Target, is a must have...the hook head that is on it is sufficient, yes, you can modify and make it extra sturdy, but at 15 feet, you should be golden with it, just as is! 

Get a coil of fence wire.  I think its about 6 guage galvanized wire.  It's very stiff and use a hack saw to cut to score and then bend/break the wire.  Many great uses for it, stiff hooks, staking extension cords and props, fishing electrical wire, etc...

Go here and this is what you will be looking for.

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/16'-Christmas-Decorating-Pole-with-Adapter-Greenery-Installation-Accessories--21236--756.htm

Then go to Lowes or Home Depot to get it there, it is around $12. You can to to the paint section and get any length pole you want to get the lights in the trees. I suggest getting the extension poles with the fiberglass main pole to lessen any chance of getting the shock of your life/death in the event you make connection with a live circuit. I have used the 24 foot extension for many years and if you do not overload the pole it works great.

Anthony

I tried the link and it does not go to the correct page.

Try this one instead

http://www.christmas-decorations-gifts-store.com/store/PPF/parameters/3181_49/more_info.asp

Anthony

I have three of these.. OK... had three.. I ran over one with my 10k lbs bucket truck. #@$^$@%^   I now have two of them.. They are priceless!