Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you get the streetlights turned off?

oilmoney

Hi! I'm a first year light guy, didn't have enough time last year to learn and install. Most of my lights are up ( before the snow ) and one small detail I'm concerned about is the ugly streetlight in my front yard. I notice in most youtube vids I watch it's pretty dark for the shows. Do you guys collaborate with city council or the municipality to get the lights turned off during showtime or over a set amount of days over the holidays? I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success by approaching them and how'd you go about it. Thanks in advance...

Chad

There is a streetlight on both corners of my property.  If you look at any of my videos, you don't even notice them and they do not effect the show at all.   Actually they are good for safety and help people see to walk when things go "dark" between songs.

• Like 1

a green laser pointer aimed correctly can shut them off...  :rolleyes:

Some people have a laser permanently pointed at the street light sensor and it's connected to a LOR channel; as soon as the sequence starts, the street light goes off. Comes back on when the show is over.

Been lotsa heated discussions about this in the past, tho.

• Like 1

Some people have a laser permanently pointed at the street light sensor and it's connected to a LOR channel; as soon as the sequence starts, the street light goes off. Comes back on when the show is over.

Been lotsa heated discussions about this in the past, tho.

It might work, don't know.  Aiming a laser pointer up is generally not a good idea.  It can temporarily blind pilots it is hits the cockpit.

Jerry

• Like 2

An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model BB Gun with a Compass in the Stock....but don't shoot your eye out. ;) 

• Like 3

I am not recommending that you do this in any way, but...........

most lights have a cover plate at the base, a well insulated wire cutter and a couple of wire nuts (only cut one wire) and the light goes out.

DO NOT try and turn off a light yourself my any means.  If there is an accident or a child gets hit in the street YOU will be liable for the accident.

Wow, i wondered what everyone else did about street lights that do not have the resource I have. My brother is a journeyman lineman so i just ask him to disable the one in front of my house when he is on call and has the truck. He told me if any neighbor calls in, because it is out, then the electric company will come and fix it or turn it back on. They are normally 100 to 250 watts lamps and most work on photocells (he just diables the photocell at top of pole).

I did want to be able to turn it on and off for safety between songs and shows. Even had a thought of trying to add it to the show, but my brother didn't think turn it on and off would be good, especially a shimmer (which i wouldn't do anyway). Those bulbs get really hot.

Just add more lights and leave it alone, unless you have a good attorney. Once the cars start lining up you will be better off with it on. Not to mention kids are running across the street all the time.  

• Like 1

After reading all your responses............... the devil on the one shoulder really likes the idea of the green laser but the voice of reason says safety is more of a priority than having a streetlight gone. Thanks for all your input everyone.

Chad

The way I do it.......My street lamp has 4 sides Like a lantern I just use a piece of cardboard painted black and using double stick tape and temporarly cover the side facing my house, that blocks the street light from going on my lights but the street is still illuminated.

Or you can get get a Official Red Rider Carbine Double Action BB Gun, But be careful not to shoot your eye out.......

Where did I get that idea????

Edited by gmac

Well, maybe you should try talking to the city and simply ask them if they'll turn it off for the Christmas season? Maybe offer to pay for them to do it and add that it'll save the city a hair of money for electricity.

I have been told by the municipality to request to speak at the next city council meeting but the chance of being legally responsible if someone were to get hurt or worse is enough deterrent to make me change my mind. Can't keep buying lights if you get sued not to mention running a great light show from your prison cell. I could just see it,,,some great big tattooed prisoner complementing me on how nice the rope light looks on the cell door.......lol...

Well, maybe you should try talking to the city and simply ask them if they'll turn it off for the Christmas season? Maybe offer to pay for them to do it and add that it'll save the city a hair of money for electricity.

A lot of cities will put a "shroud" around the light to point it downward...especially if you complain of "light pollution" coming into your windows...