Light-O-Rama Forums

Cannot get LOR and E682 to work together

deej012160

I am in initial stage of trying to "run" my E682 via LOR S3.  I am not able to get LOR S3 to control the E682.  I can go to the E682's webpage and "see" the packets getting to the E682, but no RGB actions from LOR S3.  I have LOR and the E682 both set on multicast E1.31 with 3 universes setup with my (individual pixels) RGB elements setup in LOR.  I have my PC hooked directly to the E682 via a hardline LAN cable.  When I run test sine waves from SACNVIEW, the RGBs work just fine.  Also, when I run my sequences from xlights/nutcracker (I have been using xlights to develop the effects then dumping them into LOR S3 with cut/paste), my RGBs work just fine.  Any ideas as to what I might be missing in my LOR S3 setup or something?  I am 100% that I had "control lights" turned "on" by the way.  Have been bit by that one before....  Thanks very much in advance.

yeah i had to restart the control panel a few times and then commlistener opened. also that port thing is really important they are both set to the same number, i thought they might be different ports so i left them different.... ohhh the wooohs of 1.31

good luck, but make sure you control panel is running with shows disabled and the USB dongle is attached even though it just goes no where...

-chris

• Like 1

Make sure the "controll lights" check mark is staying marked.  You will need to have the USB 485 adapter plugged in to you computer (even if it is not connected to a controller).  There is a way to side step this but it is more trouble than it is worth.

Make sure the "controll lights" check mark is staying marked.  You will need to have the USB 485 adapter plugged in to you computer (even if it is not connected to a controller).  There is a way to side step this but it is more trouble than it is worth.

Ok..Several of us have tried to clear this misconception up before but it has not reached everyone quite yet.  You DO NOT need the USB-458 adapter plugged in to get the E1.31 to work. 

Go to your "Network Preferences" click on the LOR tab and put "none" in the "Port" column for all the ports.  Click OK and your are good.  Not that much trouble.  Just remember to put that port back on when you do connect the LOR dongle. 

If you are losing the "control lights" check mark it is most likely because you have the HU open and it doesn't like to share.  There may be other reasons but I am not aware of them at the moment.

Thanks for your quick replies!!

No----I have not had the USB dongle installed.

Yes---I have checked & rechecked to assure "control lights" is on & remained on.  That has bitten me before, so I look for it each time.

Yes---verified Commlistener is "on".

Yes---verified port set to 5568

No----Don't drink coffee.  LOL

I will go back in tonight after work and disable shows, as I enabled shows when I initially didn't get any response via LOR S3.  I will report out what happens or doesn't happen.  Jim at SanDevices also suggested verifying the network activity with SACNVIEW to see if maybe LOR is sending all zeroes to E682, so I will do that tonight, also as I continue troubleshooting.

I have found that if I do not have a dongle attached and the USB port is called out in network pref. Then I can not keep the control lights checked...

This is true.. If you turn the LOR networks off in the Network Preferences however you don't need that USB dongle..

Ya I missed your earlier post Plasma. I really hate the idea of telling people to turn off their USB adapter in the network pref screen. Cause later they will forget that they did this and then wont be able to get the USB adapter to work and then here we are running around in circles telling them to turn it back on. Much easier to just remember to plug the damn thing in when ever working with LOR. Nothing more to remember, ever...

Soldering & RTVing RGB strips tonight.  Will try plugging in dongle tomorrow and see if that will make any difference.  Will monitor using SACNVIEW and will see what commlistener thinks as I am trying to run an LOR sequence into my E682.  Thanks so much.  will post whatever I find out.  Since E682 working with SACNVIEW signals and xlights sequences, I am sure I am missing some little button click somewhere in LOR....

• Like 1

Max,  I agree that if someone forgets... it would be a head scratcher for sure.   I did say to remember to put it back on when you go to use the dongle, but I am sure by that time everyone might have long forgotten that I said that part.

So as the default, I agree.. just "plug the damn thing in when ever working with LOR"  Good advice

Success!!  LOR is finally controlling my E682.  I believe "control lights" was not remaining "on", as I am having to turn it on everytime I run a sequence.  I also plugged in the LOR USB dongle and turned off firewall, to cover ALL bases!  I then turned firewall back on and that did not impact the RGB.  I also unplugged the dongle & plugged it back in; that didn't seem to make any difference either.  Anyway, wanted to report success and tell everyone who gave me ideas THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Deej, I'm waiting on the arrival of my 682 any day. I've been very nervous about getting LOR to run it and my LOR controllers together. Encouraged to hear you've got it working successfully. I may be hitting you up for some pointers in the next week or so if that's okay. Are you running the 682 plus some LOR controllers?

Edited by Duckie24

Well Darn,   I'm having the same problem.  I have followed this topic closely.  Same as deej12160, I cannot get "Control Lights" to stay ON.  I do not have Hardware Utility open.

Any Suggestions?  (PLEASE!)

Check your LOR network config and if you have a blue bulb running in the bottom right disable your show and the bulb turns red. Open up a sequence click on control lights and hit play. Good luck and let us know the out come.

Duckie24--would be glad to help out anyway I can.  I am learning RGB from scratch this year and it is my first year to synch.  Yes--I will be running one 16 channel LOR CTB16PC along with the E682.  Jim has been very helpful at SanDevices; I have had a lot of newbie questions.  Turns out it is fairly straightforward.  I am just not familiar (but getting there now) with network stuff.  That is a little bit intimidating to me...  but workable.

Best of luck!   Sometimes I think maybe I have bitten more than I can even think about chewing...  Then I get a breakthrough like yesterday and I just know that the RGBs are going to be so awesome that they are worth whatever heartaches they have caused me...

SoCalJimH--once I hooked up my LOR CTB16PC & turned it on, I haven't had to fight with that FRUSTRATING feature where LOR turns off "control lights"...

Edited by deej012160

Very nice duckie.   I would encourage you to go ahead & get your E682 up & running, learn how to use the browser commands, etc.  By the way, mine had a different version of firmware on it so the original instructions did not work at all.  Had to get a new firmware PDF then all was good.  Anyway, there is a little bit of setup with the browser but not all that much.  Just one thing to check off the old list....