Light-O-Rama Forums

What do I need for RGB?

musicman130

RGB's dumb and smart as well as pixels are going to make a huge appearance next year.

Smart RGB is another way of saying pixels.

II make a LOR to DMX cat5 cable can I continue my daisy chain from the LOR controllers to the DMX controllers?

No, an ESTA to LOR cable (ESTA is the standard pinout for DMX, orange, orange with white stripe and green wires) you can't connect your LOR stuff to DMX devices. LOR controllers can understand DMX, but DMX devices can't understand LOR.

If you run your controllers in DMX mode, you can.

Also, if you are going to have more than 170 pixels, you should use E1.31, DMX over ethernet. Only 170 pixels can be put into one DMX universe (A DMX network is called a universe), but over E1.31 you can have loads and loads of universes.

What are the strips that you have already purchased?

Also, in the future, please don't post on really old threads and start a new one.

Anything older than a month, start a new thread. This is several years old.

Can I start my RGB line with 3 E682 SanDevice controllers daisy chained together for the pixels and then continue the chain with several more CMB24D for the dumb RGB's? I am trying to limit the number of data connections going back to the PC. I am under the impression that the E682 is E1.31 over Ethernet. Will someone please set me straight, I would like to pull the trigger on getting some of the hardware ordered so I can start getting familiar with programming and sequencing.

Thanks, Z

Can I start my RGB line with 3 E682 SanDevice controllers daisy chained together for the pixels and then continue the chain with several more CMB24D for the dumb RGB's? I am trying to limit the number of data connections going back to the PC. I am under the impression that the E682 is E1.31 over Ethernet. Will someone please set me straight, I would like to pull the trigger on getting some of the hardware ordered so I can start getting familiar with programming and sequencing.

Thanks, Z

Sort of.  The E682s are ethernet devices and therefore each E682 needs a connection to a network switch.  The only way to daisy chain them would be to have a small network switch at each E682.  At each location where there is an E682, you would have a switch that would have one port used for ethernet up the chain, one port for ethernet down the chain, and a third port for the E682 at that location.  Yes, there are some small DC powered switches that would be practical for this.  BTW, yes, you could have several E682s feed from one of the switches (particularly good if you have more than one E682 at the same location).

The CMB24D is an RS-485 device that can operate with either LOR or DMX protocol over the RS-485.  Since the E682 can output DMX over RS-485, you could output DMX over RS-485 from an output on one of the E682s to drive your CMB24Ds.  That way you could run all your E682s and CMB24Ds from a single ethernet connection to your computer.

Take care not to mix up the cables.  Plugging in an RS-485 device to an ethernet device risks letting out the magic blue smoke from one or the other of the devices.  My suggestion is to use different color cables.  For example, I use purple Cat-5 cables for RS-485 network and green Cat-5 cable for my E1.31 network.

As I posted earlier I am purchasing RGB strips from various vendors for testing and sequencing etc to see what I like the best before committing to a large order. Today I received a 5 meter strip with 60 leds per meter. The cut line is every 3 leds and the strip has 5 wires coming off of it. There is a black, white, red, blue , and green. This is the first strip that I've gotten with 5 leads and was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks, Z

... and the strip has 5 wires coming off of it. There is a black, white, red, blue , and green. This is the first strip that I've gotten with 5 leads and was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks, Z

If I were to hazard a guess, the black and white are both common positive voltage.  Should be easy enough to tell with a DVM or just looking at which terminal the wires are soldered to on the strip.

When I got home tonight I decided to explore the 5 wire RGB strip I got today.  It turns out that the black is the positive lead, the white lights up every other led white, and the red, green, and blue light up every other led their respective colors and any other combination they can make. Unusual but could probably find a place in the show aside from finding 5 pin waterproof connectors for them.  Just thought I would drop and update.

Z

• The topic was locked