Light-O-Rama Forums

Icicle lights

olduffer

Just got down off the ladder, fully disgusted :angry:  with the way my icicle lights hang..tried to straighten the dang things out, and they just curl back up. So....thought I would ask the great people on here what brand they use that do not curl up and hang straight. Any opinions are appreciated! Thanks! 

Personally, I don't worry about it. They will mostly straighten out as they hang in the sun. I've heard of some people who hang fishing weights from each drop to hold them straight.

I shouldnt worry bout it either, just bugs me-lol. I found some a long time ago on a search that are supposed to hang straight, but I cant seem to find them again. Thanks for the reply!

Hairdryer. Do it to all of mine. Warms um up, then gently pull straight. They'll be arrow straight when your done. Everyone knows your crazy already, just shimmy back up there and give er a try. Dont worry about what others may say, theyll look purdy soon.

I tie wrapped each and every itty bitty bulb against the down wire. Keeps them all lined up pointing down. Kept me off the streets for several nights too. Be sure to tie wrap the socket, not the bulb, or you'll say bad words when you have to change a bulb.

Never thought about applying heat. I'll have to try that before I put these up.

Let's see. That's a hundred ties per string... times the number of strings... times one beer for every other string... :P

You too Bob. I think that is the reason the wife lets me do a show. She knows that between sequencing and putting up and taking down the lights I will be safe and off of the streets so that I dont scare all of the little girls. At my age they call me the sick old pervert. :D  Just joking folks, dont have to call the DFS on me...

Thanks guys, I think I'll try the heat method first-lol I don't drink a lot of beer, southern comfort is my preference, so if I try the second method, well, lets just say the cop across the street might pay a visit.

I have some that hang straight. The are LEDs from Philips. They are called hang straight out something like that. I got them at Menards two or three years ago. I'll try to remember to take a picture of the box tonight when I get home.

It Is funny that all you guys want straight icicles. I think they look funny and would rather have ones that are more crinkled. :)

The trick is.......wait for it..................................... learn to want curly icicles and then they will fall straight every time!

It Is funny that all you guys want straight icicles. I think they look funny and would rather have ones that are more crinkled. :)

I'm with you on this one LORi, I don't care if they're crinkled. You can't tell at night anyways.

Blow dryin icicles and hangin weights on them is way more work than fun IMHO. Just hang the darn things and be done.

Besides, my neighbors think I'm nuts already without doin all that.

Edited by Santas Helper

I'm with you on this one LORi, I don't care if they're crinkled. You can't tell at night anyways.

Blow dryin icicles and hangin weights on them is way more work than fun IMHO. Just hang the darn things and be done.

Besides, my neighbors think I'm nuts already without doin all that.

Hey Lori, maybe a curling iron would work on yours.  lol.

Jerry

• Like 1

I told my better half about using her blow dryer on them, she just shook her head.. yes... the same one that gets up an hour and a half early so her hair will look good for work-lol

Thanks for all the replies..right now I'm leaning towards getting the blow dryer out, forget about the lights, and just have a drink!  It's the intentions that count, correct?

I told my better half about using her blow dryer on them, she just shook her head.. yes... the same one that gets up an hour and a half early so her hair will look good for work-lol

Thanks for all the replies..right now I'm leaning towards getting the blow dryer out, forget about the lights, and just have a drink!  It's the intentions that count, correct?

I would go in this order. Have a drink, forget about the lights........ and that's pretty much it.

I have some that hang straight. The are LEDs from Philips. They are called hang straight out something like that. I got them at Menards two or three years ago. I'll try to remember to take a picture of the box tonight when I get home.

I feel the vague feeling of a warning point in my future.... This post just way too easy.  I'm not even going to highlight the second to the last sentence....  Caniac I'll let you take it from here.

Funny thing I was at Home Depot last week and there actually was a picture on an icicle box showing off icicles dangling from an eve all bunched up and kinky.    If even a manufacturer can't get them straight, how do they expect the average Joe to do it?  Maybe I have icicle super powers!!!! 

I read in another post that someone hung them in his hot attic all summer and when he takes them down to hang, they are all straight as an arrow.

I feel the vague feeling of a warning point in my future.... This post just way too easy.  I'm not even going to highlight the second to the last sentence....  Caniac I'll let you take it from here.

Funny thing I was at Home Depot last week and there actually was a picture on an icicle box showing off icicles dangling from an eve all bunched up and kinky.    If even a manufacturer can't get them straight, how do they expect the average Joe to do it?  Maybe I have icicle super powers!!!! 

Lol, ok, see if you can send a mental icicle straightening brain wave to my location...cause I hate ladders! (Might turn into a great second income if you can do it-lol)

I just built my own from strips.. then they hang mostly flat.. but they are not as icicle looking as the bunched up ones.. B)

Lol, ok, see if you can send a mental icicle straightening brain wave to my location...cause I hate ladders! (Might turn into a great second income if you can do it-lol)

That's why this year, I will be using scaffolding to put up my lights.  Yes, it's slow.  BUT. I will not be throwing my back out standing on a ladder and then bending backwards to work on the lights over my head.  It also helps when you have a stack of scaffolding on the family farm free for use!