Light-O-Rama Forums

Another one burnt from a WH transmitter - Help

need lights

I have a WH2 FM transmitter (whoops). So I figured out how to finally get clear sound everywhere I need it, but there is some distortion on certain parts of songs. Almost sounds like static distortion at the moment a certain note will hit. So I want to know if there are any options for FM transmitters that will give superior sound quality with zero distortion. Again, range is not an issue with the transmitter I have now(you know the mystery switch and long wire). I get sound with no background noise for about 2-3 blocks. I just want the sound to be like it is when played on the computer (or source) with perfect clarity. is that even possible? (Forget about trying to put that WH transmitter on stereo mode, then every high note is distorted every time.

I don't really want to build anything, I prefer plug it in and go. Price below 120, if possible. 

One last question, does it matter if the transmitter has a headphone jack line in or could that be why I get distortion? I really want to understand.

Try turning the pc volume down slightly. It is possible you are "over-driving" the transmitter, which will produce distortion, most notable on the loud / high passages.

Regards,

Alan.

I found on my EDM, sometimes I get better sound turning up the source but I've got an attenuator in-line too that I can adjust. When it was too low, I got static type sound but sounded a lot better when I turned up the source. Another issue would be the gain levels of songs, being different from each other. There's a free program for fixing that called MP3gain. Play with various levels to see what works best for you.

Thanks for the replies. I tried lowering the pc volume before, it does eliminate that static distortion(which is only most noticeable on a couple of high notes on one song). The problem is if I do that, you have to turn up the car radio way too much. I also tried adjusting the volume on the Whole House FM Transmitter 2 along with lowering the PC volume and I get similar results on those high notes(twice as bad if I put the transmitter on stereo mode). If I raise the transmitter volume too much above 50% it will introduce audio clarity issues. My main problem seems to be audio clarity, it sounds okay (but dull - I have to use the computer equalizer to get any crisp sound) right now, satisfactory range for my application and has no background static, but I am looking for perfect clarity along with not needing to turn the car radio all the way up. I want loudness and clarity. I would rather avoid purchasing and assembling an EDM model this year. Would I be wasting money purchasing another transmitter, or is it possible to get a transmitter inexpensive that will deliver these results? I was looking at a few different transmitters that I was hoping someone may be using and could give feedback or if anyone knows the difference between them.  Here are the links:

http://www.amazon.com/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/184-3628375-4997114

http://www.radioddity.com/us/czh-05b-0-5w-fm-transmitter.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZH-5C-5w-silver-FM-stereo-PLL-broadcast-transmitter-76-108mhz-Stereo-/221130461696?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

http://www.dagcoelectronics.com/store/500-mw-rangestar-wireless-music-long-range-fm-transmitter-2?utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=products

http://www.sainsonic.com/sainsonic-0-5w-long-range-10km-dual-mode-stereo-broadcast-fm-radio-transmitter-fashion-black.html?___store=en&___store=en

Any other suggestions would be helpful too. I know some model numbers vary by a letter at the end (AX-05B or AX-5c)(CZH-05B or 5-C)

Thanks in advance.

Plug and play?  Including the antenna?  Excellent sound quality?  The CZH05B in your first link is your best bet.

I've used EDM since my first year and have nothing bad to say about them.  Not exactly plug-n-play, but close.  Mine is/was matched up with a j-pole antenna.  Superior sound quality, but 99 out of 100 probably wouldn't know the difference between EDM and CZH models.

• Like 1

Plug and play?  Including the antenna?  Excellent sound quality?  The CZH05B in your first link is your best bet.

I've used EDM since my first year and have nothing bad to say about them.  Not exactly plug-n-play, but close.  Mine is/was matched up with a j-pole antenna.  Superior sound quality, but 99 out of 100 probably wouldn't know the difference between EDM and CZH models.

what he said!!

I have my eyeballs on the EDM RDS model to super geek out pushing data to car radios. But I have found better use for that money and all the other costs that are involved with EDM transmitters.

Been using the CZH all October without a hitch. It is on low output (limits the range and not level of sound) and get about 1.5 blocks of range in STEREO without any distortion. Bought mine from amazon for $79 I think. 2 day delivery included.

Still eyeballing that EDM RDS model though. One day I will have the extra cash.....one day.

I have my eyeballs on the EDM RDS model to super geek out pushing data to car radios. 

Yeah, I'm using the EDM-RDS. Seems to work nice but only get about a block of signal which is fine.

i used the mobile black box mbb-v600 last year. not happy.at all. it only worked right in front of my house and had to be directly in one spot. i think i need a better model.

did i wire this thing wrong or is it just junk?

I actually was in a very similar position as you are, need lights. I had the WH FM Transmitter and was getting acceptable range, but the sound was distorted on high/loud notes. Turning down the input (computer) volume helped, but then the music was much too quiet in the car stereo. Then, I saw a post on here about Breakaway Audio Processor and figured I'd give it a try and have had great results. Basically, it's a program that you install on the computer that is playing your sequences and it filters all of the sound coming out of your computer in real-time (live). It improves the clarity of the music and normalizes all the volume, so there is no more peaking on the FM Transmitter. The setup is super simple, the install file is small, and best of all they have a 30-day free-trial. I'm using the $30 version, Breakway Audio Enhancer. So, before you go and spend upwards of $100 on a new transmitter, I recomend you give this a try.

Demos of their products can be found here: http://www.claessonedwards.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95&Itemid=1103

+1

I just started using Breakaway a few days ago.  It it simple to set up and I can watch the program real time as it adjusts the incoming audio.  There is a noticeable "volume" difference if I disable Breakaway.  There are several settings you can adjust, however I left it as is and am quite glad to have spent the $30 for such an improvement.

Great, I will give it a try. Will the program just run automatically anytime you play any audio or do you have to manually open it before the show? Do I have to set up a different audio file path in the sequencer? If I understand correctly, this will increase the loudness/volume at the car radio (compared with not using it) and repair distortion problems (and potentially over modulation?). After reading some front page reviews on Amazon about the Fail-Safe FS-CZH-05B, I am concerned with purchasing it and not achieving better results. Some reviews complained of "dull" sound, over modulation issues, or noise/slight hum in the background (in between songs especially noticeable). Anyone have any comments or experience with that model unit. Better yet, if anyone recently switched to the EDM RDS enabled transmitter and has an old EDM-LCD-CS-EP (with enclosure) transmitter I would buy it for a fair price. I just checked the EDM website and it states 12 business days from "ship date", so add a few more business days for processing, plus any potential delays and that almost puts us into December. Not to mention another 160.00 plus soldering kit(I had to replace 100 strands of LED lights this year because the strands I previously bought are not dimmable, are subject to corrosion, and trip my GFCI outlets every time it rains thanks to their poor construction. I wish I knew half of what I know now before I purchased LED lights).

Does anyone know if the amount of car radios tuned in at the same time has any effect on the signal, especially using the Whole House FM Transmitter 2?

Once running, Breakaway is your default audio processor, therefore it is processing any audio produced on the computer.  It runs in the background automatically.  You can easily switch it off if you choose.  You do not have to set up any different paths in the sequencer.  I installed breakaway as a free trial; very soon afterwards I chose to pay for it as I believe it is well worth the price.  I suggest installing the free trial and see the results for yourself. 

The difference in clarity and volume is noticable on my FM station.  One thing to note:  there is a "FM" mode on Breakaway.  This is the only change I made to the available settings.

I do not know if Breakaway will repair or change modulation as I take care of this by using MP3Gain to remove clipping prior to adding to my sequences.

I have a whole house transmitter too that I bought here on LOR. It wasn't that great then I connected the antenna wire to a radio antenna. Now it comes in clear and goes a half mile, lol.

i used the mobile black box mbb-v600 last year. not happy.at all. it only worked right in front of my house and had to be directly in one spot. i think i need a better model.

I have the MBB Eclipse 4000 {no longer in production} that I bought my 1st year, still using it to this day, great range and great audio.   You may still be able to find one used or contact MBB and ask about a refurbished unit.  I use the magnetic mount telescopic antenna that came with it.  Currently using it inside a METAL shed {antenna INSIDE metal shed and mounted horizontal along the roof line}, still getting great audio and signal out from it.

If I'm not mistaken the model you bought is a mono, not stereo and that makes a difference in sound quality.   Antenna is usually what makes or breaks where the transmitter needs to be located for best results.

b-v600 last year. not happy.at all. it only worked right in front of my house and had to be directly in one spot. i think i need a better model.

Ah, how did you have this transmitter mounted? Where in the house and what antenna? If it is a telescoping antenna, is it fully extended? Is there a furnace, refrig or steel door between the transmitter and the front of the house? One must think out these things to make a good installation.

I placed it in a good spot. Right in front window. Teloscolpic antenna is up fullly! I sent a email to support, they replied connect a copper wire .... I am about to buy a

http://www.czhfm.com/0-990mw-continuously-adjustable-home-fm-transmitter-p-50.html

Or should I work on the one I have?

The antenna it came with is small and radio shack don't have a connecter that fits it to extend the damn thing

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Just to update, I got Breakaway and that helped for a quick and easy fix. Still cant get good reception in stereo mode with the whole house transmitter, but it is clear in mono where i need it, right in front of my house. Next year I will definitely be investing into a new transmitter. Thanks for the info.