Light-O-Rama Forums

Not connectging to board at all

Milwaukee..Chip

Not sure where I should have board ID set at A0 or A1?

board is blinking (Red LED), and will go solid when I upload firmware (Blue Board) but thats it?

What Am I doing wrong?

When I click refresh it finds zero units in Hardware utility., but Automatic Configure

finds it on com 3

But still no conectivity to board.

Sounds like a common problem. I believe you said you uploaded the firmware. Now did you update the utility hardware. Most likely you have an older version of the hardware utility that speak with the newer firmware on the boards. Lots of people have done this one. I did it too.

A board ID of "A0" or "A1" is pretty uncommon. Most people start at a number like "01". Try setting your Unit ID to 01 then do a refresh in the hardware utility. Make sure you are on Com3 ( as indicated by the auto configure ).

The fact that the Auto Configure located the LOR network indicates that you do have good communication with the controller. It also indicates that the firmware is runing reasonabley in the controller. So that means that the Hardware Utility cannot find the unit.

One mistake that is easy to make is the Max Unit setting. Some people will set the Max Units to a low number like 5 BUT then they set their controllers Unit ID to a number higher than 5. The Hardware Utilty will not find that unit becasue it stops looking when it gets to 5.

LightORamaDan wrote:

A board ID of "A0" or "A1" is pretty uncommon. Most people start at a number like "01". Try setting your Unit ID to 01 then do a refresh in the hardware utility. Make sure you are on Com3 ( as indicated by the auto configure ).

The fact that the Auto Configure located the LOR network indicates that you do have good communication with the controller. It also indicates that the firmware is runing reasonabley in the controller. So that means that the Hardware Utility cannot find the unit.

One mistake that is easy to make is the Max Unit setting. Some people will set the Max Units to a low number like 5 BUT then they set their controllers Unit ID to a number higher than 5. The Hardware Utilty will not find that unit becasue it stops looking when it gets to 5.

Make sure that the controller is powered off when you change the Unit ID. Do this for two reason. One is for safety and the other reason is that the controller only reads the Unit ID on startup.

reset unit id to 01 still no solid red light -

The other question I have is to the right of the controllers is a set of 16 pins, and one supplied jumper, where does this jumper go? No real specific in the build kit? Insturctions Would/could this be causing the problem if jumper pin isn't set?

Trying a difrent laptop - to see if that is the issue at hand.

Guest wbottomley

Milwaukee..Chip wrote:

The other question I have is to the right of the controllers is a set of 16 pins, and one supplied jumper, where does this jumper go? No real specific in the build kit? Insturctions Would/could this be causing the problem if jumper pin isn't set?

Try this: http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/Kit_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

Tried 4 difrent computers - same response

Unit will locate on 2 with automatic com port thing, but will not go to steady on.

Still wondering If I missed a jumper setting off to the right of the unit id's?

Anyone have any ideas?

Which board do you have the problem with? If it is the CTB 16, the jumper should be across the top two pins. If you have the Deluxe upgrade of this board, do NOT use the jumper.

You may want to check the setting for your max units in the upper right of the hardware utility. If this value is not set large enough for the unit number your scanning for, it cannot find it. For the two addresses that you mentioned A0 and A1 you need the max units set to 161 or better. A0 in hex is 160 decimal. A1 in hex is 161 in decimal.

Chuck

Denny and Chuck Thanks, Deluxe unit - so no Jumper - just was wondering what the 18 pin thing was, also tested voltage on 5 and 9volt areas, and the voltage is there. , and only one unit thus far, have reset switches to 0 and 1 so unit 01. Will play with it in the am again. Tired and frustrated.

Milwaukee..Chip wrote:

You say there is not a solid red light so I want to go a little further with that.

You say that the Auto Config can find LOR on a specific port so open the Hardware Utility and make sure you are on that port.

With the Controller attached to the PC and powered up, the LED does not go solid on, correct?

Is the LED blinking a steady even on/off pattern OR is is blnking Mostly On / quick off / Mostly on / quick off ....

Dan

Check your solder joints. I had very similar issues and although they did not look bad, I did touch some up.

I also had one kit that i discovered a bad communications chip. I was fortunate enough to have a known good board to remove the U1 chip and swap to proof what I thought was the problem.

Please don't get discouraged, there are plenty of people willing to help and want to see you up and running.

Chuck

It is not normal for U1 to be hot. It sounds like it was operating earlier because you could find the LOR network but if it is hot is not a good sign.

Make sure that the chips for U0 and U1 are not swapped. It has happend a number of times. No perminate damage to the board but it does damage the chips. We will replace them for free if they were inavertently swapped.

The LED blink indicates that the processor thinks that the unit is set to Unit ID 00 not to the 01 that you believe it is set to.... In this condition the unt is continiously resetting and it will not respond (as indicated in the unable to auto config).

Check the solder connections around the Unit ID switches, check the orentation of U3 and R2 and check the soldering on the processor chip. If U3 and R2 do have the correct orrentation then reflow the solder on those parts and on the two Unit ID switches.

Once this has been done check that to see if the LED still has the same pattern. If so then power it off and set the Unit ID to 11 and see if the LED has the same pattern. If the LED goes into a steady blink then set the Hardware Utility MAX UNITS to 240 and do a refresh and see if it locates the unit