Light-O-Rama Forums

Large Channel Count / File Size Issues

rlw162

I have 15K channels and heading to 20K channels this year.

The grouping is fantastic, couldnt sequence without it.

Now if only the visualizer can show what I want I'll be in 7th heaven.

My matrix alone is 4000 chans, I'll be able to visualize a quarter of it lol.

If you are going to use Groups and I highly recommend it because you  will wonder why that is not step one in learning sequences,

Right click on your first channel and CREATE a Group and choose all of your channels.  MAKE SURE YOU CHECK LEAVE ALL CHANNELS IN EXISTING LOCATION  and select a name for your Group.

Once the Group is created right click on the Group and MOVE it to a New Track.   THIS WAY YOUR MASTER TRACK STAYS IN ORDER  VERY IMPORTANT not to disturb your master track.

Now go to the new track. Once its on the new track you can now break it down into smaller groups that you want to use for Chases or Colors or Sweeps etc. .  Again leave the channels in their existing locations so that you can choose them over again to be apart of several groups if you want.

Then you can arrange things the way you want and not screw up the master track.

You will see how much easier it is to sequence and  this will allow you to expand your display for the future without causing a great deal of pain as you update every year.

thank you for the info.. couple of questions...

I tried superstar, great for the RGB Pixels, but not for standard LOR. :(

With grouping in the new track, I tried to specify the red trees, I think I figured that one out move the item by colors and sizes together. Can one do sub grouping within the grouping? I just grouped all the large trees in red as 1 group. Do you have to move things around constantly to create the groups? I think I am missing a piece of the puzzle here. :)

I didn't see much with LOR's site on the groupings and didn't seem to find much with google. any help is sure appreciated otherwise, some songs that are sequenced will take days to do.

How the heck do you define 1000's of pixels easily?  I cannot imagine going though the channel configuration tools for that many pixels! 

I tried building a VB program to create the LCC file (that worked!) first up to 170 RGB, then expanded it, but it stops defining channels at 240 RGB pixels.  I can't see any differences in the XML between RGB channels 240 and 241, but it won't import beyond 240, and I'm trying to hit 480.  Am I missing sumthin?  (Like some maximum channel count that doesn't apply to rwl162?  Do you need to split them up into groups/tracks?  (And I am splitting up the DMX universes into appropriately sized channels...)

Edited by scubabeme

thank you for the info.. couple of questions...

I tried superstar, great for the RGB Pixels, but not for standard LOR. :(

With grouping in the new track, I tried to specify the red trees, I think I figured that one out move the item by colors and sizes together. Can one do sub grouping within the grouping? I just grouped all the large trees in red as 1 group. Do you have to move things around constantly to create the groups? I think I am missing a piece of the puzzle here. :)

I didn't see much with LOR's site on the groupings and didn't seem to find much with google. any help is sure appreciated otherwise, some songs that are sequenced will take days to do.

You can have as many groups as you want with what ever channel combination you want.  Example you can have tree in a group for all red, and in group for size and in a group for sweep, chases..... and leave them there,  So yes just make more groups from the new track and leave the channels in their original location. You can have Sub grouping or just drag the group out of the sub and make it a main group  

Oh and when in a group, play with turning ON the group with the group colapsed and check out the results and expand the group. Then with the group expanded sequence like normal for a different effect.

Also check out Step 3    http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/30693-4-step-sequencing-tutorial/?p=282412   they are all real good but step 3 should answer questions.

Edited by Grinch

Hey Scubabeme,

The website below has tools for LOR to inject channels... especially RGB. There are also a lot of other neat tools on the site:

http://itsmebob.com/SD.html

Grinch,

thank you for the info. this is a great help in sequences. Next question here and then I think I will be good for a few days til something else pops in the brain. Timings: I know what the beat wizard, vu, and Tapper.

I have seen where people use Audacity with the VAMP Plugins to have audacity generate the Timings based on notes. I am wondering why one would have multiple timings in a sequence. Timings seems to be the one other gray area. I have been using the beat wizard sometimes, and others just using a .10th of a second grid (which allows for more expression).

thank you

Hey Scubabeme,

The website below has tools for LOR to inject channels... especially RGB. There are also a lot of other neat tools on the site:

http://itsmebob.com/SD.html

Grinch,

thank you for the info. this is a great help in sequences. Next question here and then I think I will be good for a few days til something else pops in the brain. Timings: I know what the beat wizard, vu, and Tapper.

I have seen where people use Audacity with the VAMP Plugins to have audacity generate the Timings based on notes. I am wondering why one would have multiple timings in a sequence. Timings seems to be the one other gray area. I have been using the beat wizard sometimes, and others just using a .10th of a second grid (which allows for more expression).

thank you

Having multiple timings will take your sequence to the next level as far as being right on the beat or highlighting lets say an orchestra note which might not always fall perfect on the beat mark.  Or there is a quick repeat of a note inside the beat timing marks you made.

Try this, use the beat master to get the overall markings.  Then in one of the channel cells just right click on SUBDIVIDE TIMING  you will be presented with a box that will divide that cell column into as many sections as you want. Lets pick 4 and enter.  Now you have more control over the expression in that timing mark, where you may not need that for other cells.  If you choose the right sub division you can hit it perfect.  I just eyeball the divison and if its not perfect I use the undo and choose another number.  

Sorry I am no Music Major and I always say I am tone deaf in one ear and can't hear from the other so I rely heavily on the wave form to sequence.  I have not used Audacity for timing marks yet so I have no comment on that.  

Hope this helps.

Grinch

The reason for using more than one timing grid is so you can more easily fit a sweep from, say, a seven segment arch perfectly in a timing and also fit a sweep of a nine-segment pole into the exact same time interval.

If you're already using the Beat Wizard, I'd suggest using that to create your various freeform timing grids. (Beat x 2,4,7, etc.) It's easier than subdividing timings and doesn't mess up the timing grid like subdividing does. You can swap different timing grids in and out very easily. Another tool that can very quickly become a good friend for getting an effect into a particular time frame is the "stretch to fit" paste option.

Grinch and George, thank you! I will take a look at this also tonight. 

Grinch: I did play with the groupings last night. I can see how this will help especially with items like trees all at red...Looking forward to starting Party Anthem in the sequencer with the new setup. 

George: I haven't gotten to the level you are at... but I am headed there. :) My house just won't hold a cool face. :)

thx

Kip