Light-O-Rama Forums

Large Channel Count / File Size Issues

rlw162

This is my first year with a high channel count (>13,000) due to a pixel tree and I am having problems playing the display. I have about 25 minutes of sequences that are about 9.5 GIGAbyte total file size. When I run the display I get error messages in the Status window that say "DMX listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10053". I also get an error that states "Cannot allocate memory for play event nodes." It seems like the sequences play, but there is a long delay between each song. Any advice?

• Like 1

I have been able to decrease the lag time between sequences by using compressed sequences and by selecting to load the sequences before starting the show.  I made sure I have all the drivers, I will try the memory patch.  

I should add I am also projecting video with the sequences, so now I have 12 universes on E1.31, (5) 3 channel floods on DMX, and a few older LOR controllers. 

Thanks for the quick responses -- rlw162 sorry for hijacking your thread, you had just posted what I had been dealing with for the last few hours.

Happy Halloween

Mike

Edited by Techster

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first year with a high channel count (>13,000) due to a pixel tree and I am having problems playing the display. I have about 25 minutes of sequences that are about 9.5 GIGAbyte total file size. When I run the display I get error messages in the Status window that say "DMX listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10053". I also get an error that states "Cannot allocate memory for play event nodes." It seems like the sequences play, but there is a long delay between each song. Any advice?

Were you able to resolve this. I am testing tonight and am seeing the exact same errors.

I saw this same issue last night when I was running a sequence and stopped it. Then I unloaded LOR control panel while watching the Listener and saw the error. Reloaded the control panel and checked it again and saw the same. I am not seeing this while the show is playing only when I am undocking control panel.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

9.5GB sequence file size?????????  I never heard of a sequence that large before.  I heard of 1-2GB file sizes.

9.5 is the size of  all sequences in the show from what I am reading... I am getting delays between songs as well, one night  its pretty good, the next night, its not.  I unload and restart everything...most times that works great, last night, I did it and didn't solve the problem...I figure if people are that impatient and can't wait a minute or so between songs...then have a great night!

Oops, sorry about that!  You're both right, the entire show is 9.5GB, not just one sequence!

But still, that is one large show!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the really long delayed reply. My whole show is 9.5GB (20 minutes long). I am using X-Lights this year to run the show and have not had any problems with lag. I really hope LOR does something about the way these sequences are saved. File sizes go through the roof when channel counts get really large.

• Like 1

I think I may need to look into having xLights run the show.  LOR software just doesn't seem all that great with large file sizes. 

Thanks for the t

• 2 weeks later...

I have always liked LOR.   However LOR needs to make some major improvements to the software on channel count.   Today I was testing a 4800 Channel Pixel tree and added the butterfly effect for an entire song.  Just to run it at full steam in Xlights.  I converted Xlights 20MB file to a LOR file and its over 680MB.    LOR Crashed every time while copying to my LOR file with all my LOR products.  The 4GB patch doesn't seem to work.  I watch my memory on the task manager and it goes over 5gb and then crashes LOR.       I would pay more money for LOR to have a software that can handle both LOR products and DMX but not be so big on the file.    I know we have talked about this before in the past and nothing has been said.    I really need to make my decision in the next few months on all my plans.   I waited last year and had to run the same show because I was waiting to long for something big to come out.  If LOR wants to stay in the game without so many jumping ship I think we need to know if LOR is going to make some major changes and when.   I truly like LOR and the visualizer but it cant hold us back forever.        

• Like 3

As I said in another thread- With the explosion of 'pixels', channel counts are increasing exponentially. Once I passed 30k channels and added any effects, I can't even right-click to change a name or grouping. Dan has always been on top of any problem, with the best customer service anywhere. I realize that we may have outgrown the file structure, and changing that would be virtually impossible. Surely there is some solution though that will allow us to continue to sequence and play shows in LOR. I would assume that the bulk of revenue has been from the sale of hardware. I'm also assuming the rise of low cost DMX devices has cut into that. It's great to see LOR jumping in with new products like the CMD24B. When I first started, it was great to be able to download free software to start learning on. Now, I'm spending more money on lights than I ever dreamed. I'm sure there is a lot of us who are exploding channel counts, and don't mind paying for a 'super advanced' license to keep this going.

• Like 1

+1.....  I can only agree that the channel counts are going up and I am not replacing amy of my AC stuff. I have 32 LOR boxes ready for next year and will add another 7500 channels this year. I have not started sequencing this year and waiting to layout my props first. Nativity Scene will be all pixels this year!!!!

Jeff

I too will be adding more pixels this year.  I would love right now to draw them out in visualizer but due to that dang 1024 fixture limit I cant do it the way I want to.

The only way is to have about 5 diff .lee files which will drive me nuts.

Like frisky I stuck with LOR hoping something with change, it didnt.  Granted my show worked but this year will be different.  Would really like to know what changes they intend to make.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a question on the channel count topics... I noticed that there is a way to group the channels, one as RGB and the other is a Group. How are you guys doing sequencing with the large channel counts?

I've designed next years display in the sequencer (lets hope the $ is there to support the dreams.. LOL)  and the channel count has gone bonkers. I have 5  10 ft real trees that will have Red Green blue and white lights, each on it's own channel. The Deck has 16 sets of Red, Green ,Blue, White Netlights...each with their own channel, the roofline is the same and then each crystral Star Globe- 9 (have 6 DMX channels) and the floods 7 have 3 each....

I'm overwelmed with just 150 channels... LOL I see some of you have the thousand level

I'm not seeing too much about the grouping feature in Lor and how it works... especially with the RGB stuff.

Kip

Grouping channels allows you to organize your channels to aid in sequencing such as having all of your reds next to each other or having all the trees together etc.. It just speeds up programming by not having to scroll as much, or aids when you want to do chase or sweeps across the yard. 

Some people are using Instant Sequence in SuperStar and some are playing with the options in SuperStar for the effects they want and then some have gone to Nutcracker.