Light-O-Rama Forums

SanDevice E682 - 2811 - Orange

ShaggySS

I am all about Halloween and orange is an important color so you can imaging how disappointed I was last year when the standard LOR orange color looks more yellow than orange.  My sequences were done and I wasn't going to stand out front and try to find a true orange.  This year I pulled out my same strips and updated my E682 controller to the latest firmware and for testing the other day ran my 2012 sequences.  To my surprise I now have orange...  The problem is I only have orange on two of my strips which looks silly when the whole roofline is outlined. The only thing in common is the two strips are attached to the same pixel cluster (1-1 and 1-2)  The rest of the strips are longer which would make you think its a power issue but if that were the case wouldn't the strips closets to the power supply be orange and fade over the length.  The distance from the controller is all about the same and back to the power thing I inject power along the route.  Same setup as last year.  

Not even sure where to start troubleshooting this one so I thought I would see if anyone else experiences this issues.  

The orange is a perfect Halloween orange.  

I doubt the LEDs are binned for color when they make the strips.  Could be just LEDs being different efficiencies. 

I got a response from Jim @ SanDevices.  He said...

"I'm guessing it's the 50-pixel strings that are a different color?

The board will gamma-correct 8-bit pixels if the string length is less
than 55, by slightly tweaking the intensity on each refresh of the pixels.
 This produces a better dimming curve (more incandescent-like) but can
affect color mixing also.  What you will need to do is change the gamma
value to 1.0 which will disable gamma correction and all of your strings
will look the same."

I will test tonight and post results for other who may run across this but since I don't sense a bit of doubt in his response I am pretty confident this is the resolution. 

• Like 2

When you figure out the RGB value for "the perfect" orange, would you mind sharing it here? I have the same struggle.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also having the orange color problem as it turns out yellow.  Also our purple is pink in color.  Can someone post a step by step solution within the E682 web page to correct these colors.  Thank You in advance.

I am having the  same  issues  with  colors. I am very new to the  E682 board, just  received mine  the  other day and I am totally sold on this board. I had it  up and  running in  about 10 mins once I figured out  how  to access the  web server. Is there a color code chart anywhere?

This applies to almost any RGB device. They are a lot of variations from device to device and even lot to lot. Here is what I do to get a decent color. Take a computer out to where you can see the device you are testing. Use the hardware utility for LOR devices or SACNview for E1.31 devices and change levels of the 3 colors to get what you want. It's much easier when you can immediately see the changes.

As I recall my dumb strips in my yard are 100/10/0 for orange. The WS2811 are slightly different and I did not have time to adjust them before Halloween.

• 11 months later...

I am reviving this thread because I am running into an interesting problem and I have Cracker to blame for this one.  He was nice enough to point out the fact that manufactures have been modifying the 2811 strip over the years and graciously pointed out that the newer strips orange is more of a yellow.  Which isn't a big deal if you have the newer strips of if you are like me with a mix of old and new it SUCK!  Having to use two different colors for orange is dumb.  Any idea if a SANDevice or a Sequence editor you can alter the colors\intensities so when sequencing I don't need two different oranges.  Second option which I don't like it to replace all my house strips.  I want to add some vertical strips to my house next to my older strips so the color variation would be very obvious. I discovered this when I was looking at my lawn strips which required lots of patching due to bike tires and you can clearly see the new and old.  Something only I would notice but thats not the point.

My perfect orange is 12, 234, 120  

Kevin was telling me the perfect orange on the new strips is 100% red and 20% green.  I have yet to figure out how to turn that into a custom color but considering mine is more of a 100% red 50% green and 2% blue that should tell you how big the color variation is.