Light-O-Rama Forums

monster quartet qs

crowninb

I have a problem with leaving everything to the last minute but i think that give its some excitment. last year i decided to buy LOR and create a 6 ccr tree in 3 days! and only a week before xmas. let me tell you it was a hit but also a learning experience.

this year i decided to do the same and have purchased the monster quartet from holiday coro. i have read the posts and most pertain to sequencing for them and had a few questions.

First off for the lights i will keep it simple this year and may just do all white. i assume since each monster is 8 channels i will need 8 strands of lights for each of the 4? i am curious where people buy there lights since some of the number of lights for each monster are all over the place like 46 85 etc. do you just buy 100 light strands and hide the remaining ones behind the coro, with out and bleed through? next year ill get orange etc for better monsters

secondly do you just pop the lights through or do you acutaly hot glue them in? how does this work with storage?

thirdly with all the experience out there i am assuming i will receive the coro slap on a wood frame slap in the lights, plug them into the corrosponding plugs on my LOR 16 channel unit and then drop in some sequences. it sounds easy but was wondering if anyone out there ran into any problems i need a heads up with?

thanks and hope all of your halloween stuff is going great

Brice

Brice,

I've been building the monsters for the last few months. and was surprised how many lights these take. I started by building the frames and painting them black. mounted the coro and then pushing the lights through. M6 mini lights work great, tight with no glue needed. make sure you follow the directions and mount the coro with black facing out (outlines in). I spent some time fixing mine.

I buy all my lights from Holiday Light Express and they work great, no bleed through. I tape the unused lights with black electrical tape so I don't see them. DO NOT buy lights on ebay I bought a bunch to finish mine and they are garbage. and to save money you can buy a 50 count for the mouth O and some 70 count for one middle mouth and some eyes. just remember the space between the eyes where it calls for 50 lights a 50 count wont work but on monster #4 the eyes call for 48  a 50 will. just my 2 cents.

also start soon. I hit it hard one day and got burned out quick.

hope this helped just stuff I learned building mine.

Thanks Ryan..

ryan, 

thanks for the reply and that sounds very interesting in your building process. once i saw the pic online of the back of one of these things with all the lights in them i to was amazed as to how many and also the jungle of wires. Do you do anything special with the colors for different monsters etc? can you further explain what you mean by the 50 count wont work for the monsters but i will for the 48 on monster 4? So looking at that site i see you went with the LED lights. do you feel for the money those are worth it? seems that they would be 2-3x as much.

also some of the light sights ive been on have different spacing 2.5 3 3.5 4 are there any suggestions on which one works best?

thanks 

brice 

Edited by crowninb

Brice,

I did change up the colors quite a bit two monsters are outlined in purple and two in white. and two monsters have red eyes, one has green eyes and one has orange. all the mouths are white. and sorry for the confusion on the eyes. but if the eyes call for 25 per eye then a 50 count will not work cuz you need to go from one eye to the other and the space between would take up a bulb maybey two. and I use led lights for everything including my Christmas display. so its what I had but they are super bright. but I love em. and I don't think the spacing matters a whole lot, I just go for the number of bulbs cuz everything is so close. the good thing is the big box stores have lights in stock now so it shouldn't be hard to grab lights at a cheaper price.