Light-O-Rama Forums

Difference between CCB and CCP Controllers?

George Simmons

I was under the impression that the controllers for the CCBs and CCPs were the same.  Within the past few days a source at LOR informed me that they AREN'T the same - they look the same but are configured differently.

Uh-oh...  Not knowing this, I assigned unit IDs to my controllers and blithely put them all together in the same storage tub.  How can I tell the difference?  What happens if I plug CCBs into a CCP controller, or vice versa?

Thanks.

I was under the impression that the controllers for the CCBs and CCPs were the same.  Within the past few days a source at LOR informed me that they AREN'T the same - they look the same but are configured differently.

Uh-oh...  Not knowing this, I assigned unit IDs to my controllers and blithely put them all together in the same storage tub.  How can I tell the difference?  What happens if I plug CCBs into a CCP controller, or vice versa?

Thanks.

Which source told you this?

I don't recall seeing a manual for the Pixels, only the one for the bulbs, which shows both pixels and bulbs in the picture.

FYI - Working to confirm this with LOR.

I know of no differences in the controllers, and am under the same impression George was, that they are the same controller.

Here's the official word I received:

"The CCB and CCP controllers look the same.

In the Hardware Utility they are configured differently.

If the CCP color correction box is checked it is set up as a Pixel controller."

I didn't know that.  I don't recall seeing that anywhere in the manual.  If I've caused anyone any unnecessary concern, you have my apology.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

Without having one handy ... Is the CCP Color Correction box something that shows up on the CCP/B controller, and can be changed?

For anyone who may be following the thread, or those finding this thread later in the future...

Confirmation on George's official word listed above. The controllers are the same, but one option in the HWU called Pixel Color Correction would need to be turned 'on' for those controllers that are controlling pixels. I'm told that, "If you do not set that then the end of the pixel string will get a little pink when on 100% white."

While I'm sure George knows this, posting it here for future reference. All that he would need to do is simply go through the HWU and set this option on those controllers connected to pixel strings. The controllers controlling CCB's would need to have the option turned off.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks worse in this blurry picture than to my eyes.   I have to say this is a least a little pink at full white.  These 12 CCP strings all have pixel 1 then 50 as every other bulb.   The strings go down then back up. 

I would really like to set the color correction but HWU option shows not set and is grayed out.   How to enable the setting?

AlittlePink.jpg

HWUcolorCorrectionGreyed.jpg

Like  ItsMeBobO, mine is grayed out too. Also, once we find out how to get this option checked. Can I change all the controllers that are linked together. It would be a real pain to unscrew all the covers to unplug the cat5 cables to change to this option.

I think that the problem may have to do with the devices file not being updated. I have attached the latest version. This file is located where the LOR binaries are installed. This is usually C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama or C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama. Not sure why it would not be updated. 

LOR_DeviceFile.txt

I think that the problem may have to do with the devices file not being updated. I have attached the latest version. This file is located where the LOR binaries are installed. This is usually C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama or C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama. Not sure why it would not be updated. 

This fixed it!   HWU now allows me to change the setting.    It made an obvious difference.   I want to point out to everyone that the pinkness is more obvious when all pixels are white.   When just pixel 1 and 50 are on white there is no pinkness on 50 even without the color correction.    High power draw all pixels white is not a pattern I had planned for this matrix.

Dan the former LOR_deviceFile was dated 11/25/2011 !   This pc has had many installs in the last two years but none replaced this file!

found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama   windows vista

• 5 weeks later...

Like  ItsMeBobO, mine is grayed out too. Also, once we find out how to get this option checked. Can I change all the controllers that are linked together. It would be a real pain to unscrew all the covers to unplug the cat5 cables to change to this option.

I have the same question as indi... can I apply this option (check the CCP Color Correction) to multiple units? As he stated, I'd rather not have to go thru each box individually.

Thanks

I have the same question as indi... can I apply this option (check the CCP Color Correction) to multiple units? As he stated, I'd rather not have to go thru each box individually.

Thanks

None that I am aware of. 

Huh?   

Of course you can do them without opening the back.       All on a network are easily changed.     After you refresh and see your 6 controllers..   select one.. change the setting and hit update.   select the next one, change and hit update.  

This is E Z.   Not the same as changing firmware or changing unit id which you may want to be more careful.    For settings there is no need to open up to put a single controller on a network. 

Guess I didn't close enough. Bob is right, you don't have to open the controllers to make the change. Once connected to the LOR network, you could make the change on each controller via the Hardware Utility.

(Thanks, Bob, for catching that.)

• The topic was locked