Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting nowhere with E682

bobschm

Wow I thought this would be difficult...but

I can't even get the initial browser setup page to appear!  So far..

1. I tried just plugging it in and going to 192.168.1.206 the default for an E682. Nothing.

2. Next I disabled wireless and shut down my laptop. Followed instructions to force static address to 169.254.74.73. Laptop crashed horribly on reboot and had to be restored! Yikes.

3. Started over. Tried with and without 485 dongle. Still no communication.

According to the flashing LEDs (2 flashes) the 682 is coming up to a static IP address from page 0, NOT from a button forced address. So maybe I'm still at default?

I don't know what that E682 address is or how to get my browser to grab it. Nor do I know what the IP address of my laptop is. And now I'm scared to shutoff the wireless again.

I need a hug...and some bacon.

http://sandevices.com/documents/E68X_Version_4_Firmware.pdf

This is your E682 Bible, so keep it close by.

Print out this documentation and pay particular attention to the first couple of pages on how to access the 682's IP address. . Then on page 2, follow the instructions for finding out if the 682 is within your laptop's IP range.

Also, if you're not running a USB switch, you're probably not going to be able to access the 682 through the Ethernet port. Just any Megabyte or Gigabyte switch will do. Here's 1 with a quick search, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+ProSafe+Ethernet+Switch/3924016.p?id=1051384176800&skuId=3924016

See if any of this helps.

http://sandevices.com/documents/E68X_Version_4_Firmware.pdf

This is your E682 Bible, so keep it close by.

Print out this documentation and pay particular attention to the first couple of pages on how to access the 682's IP address. . Then on page 2, follow the instructions for finding out if the 682 is within your laptop's IP range.

Also, if you're not running a USB switch, you're probably not going to be able to access the 682 through the Ethernet port. Just any Megabyte or Gigabyte switch will do. Here's 1 with a quick search, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+ProSafe+Ethernet+Switch/3924016.p?id=1051384176800&skuId=3924016

See if any of this helps.

Really Ron? A USB Switch?

Ok, lets get this right the second time. USB only have HUBS and have nothing to do with IP addresses. These E6xxx devices are Ethernet devices not RS-485 like all of the LOR products. You are going to take the ethernet cable and plug it directly into the computer's RJ-46 jack, or a switch port, like the one you might be using in your home network. Also to note, you would never use an IP address with a USB port or hub.

It is really hard to help someone when they throw around words like red is the same as blue. And USB is not the same as Ethernet. Yet if you tell me that I should watch for you driving a Blue car. I will never see you as you drive by with a red car. Take the effort to learn the names of things you are working with.

Ron I suspect that it was a slip of the tongue for you.

Ok I got to the browser screen by hard wiring to the E682, shutting off wireless, renewing IP addresses on the laptop , and triggering a forced IP on the E682 to 169.168.74.73. Whew. Problem is my firmware is 2.051 not version 4, so the program switch doesn't do anything when you just hold it. You have to hold it while you press reset.

Now what? By that I mean what should I set the E682 IP to permanently?

When this laptop is "normal", it's connected via wireless as IPv4 192.168.2.xx with wired LAN disconnected. Last year I just plugged the dongle into a USB port and controlled my LOR boards. I could access the laptop from my iPad wirelessly. So if I want to run the E682 hard wired to the laptop, along with a 485 USB controlling LOR boards, along with a wireless connection to the internet, what should I do?

My brain hurts.

Oh and Thank you Ron for the link. I understood what you meant even though you said USB. :rolleyes:

I think I can upgrade the firmware since I just bought this board last spring. I'm waiting for confirmation from Jim at Sandevices that I have the NEW Ethernet.

Really Ron? A USB Switch?

Ok, lets get this right the second time. USB only have HUBS and have nothing to do with IP addresses. These E6xxx devices are Ethernet devices not RS-485 like all of the LOR products. You are going to take the ethernet cable and plug it directly into the computer's RJ-46 jack, or a switch port, like the one you might be using in your home network. Also to note, you would never use an IP address with a USB port or hub.

It is really hard to help someone when they throw around words like red is the same as blue. And USB is not the same as Ethernet. Yet if you tell me that I should watch for you driving a Blue car. I will never see you as you drive by with a red car. Take the effort to learn the names of things you are working with.

Ron I suspect that it was a slip of the tongue for you.

Oops. Sorry Bob. My Bad. Max-Paul is right. It's an Ethernet switch. I did post the right link to the switch though.

In my defense, I had just posted on Facebook to someone about how to set up USB485s using a USB Hub. I guess I still had it on the brain.

Oh and Thank you Ron for the link. I understood what you meant even though you said USB. :rolleyes: I think I can upgrade the firmware since I just bought this board last spring. I'm waiting for confirmation from Jim at Sandevices that I have the NEW Ethernet.
If you bought the e682 this spring, the Ethernet module should be a small square...if so you are good to go with a version 4 update.
Ok I got to the browser screen by hard wiring to the E682, shutting off wireless, renewing IP addresses on the laptop , and triggering a forced IP on the E682 to 169.168.74.73. Whew. Problem is my firmware is 2.051 not version 4, so the program switch doesn't do anything when you just hold it. You have to hold it while you press reset. Now what? By that I mean what should I set the E682 IP to permanently? When this laptop is "normal", it's connected via wireless as IPv4 192.168.2.xx with wired LAN disconnected. Last year I just plugged the dongle into a USB port and controlled my LOR boards. I could access the laptop from my iPad wirelessly. So if I want to run the E682 hard wired to the laptop, along with a 485 USB controlling LOR boards, along with a wireless connection to the internet, what should I do? My brain hurts.
What version of windows are you running?

Oh yeah. Windows 7. And I have a hard wired LAN in the house, just never plugged this laptop into it.

Open network and sharing center...click change adaptor setting...find connection you are using for the e682, right click, click properties...click IPv4...click properties...click advanced...un-check automatic metric... in "Interface metric" type "1"...click OK... click OK... click Close...when your computer is done processing, enable your wireless connection. All e1.31 traffic is now directed to the RJ-45 jack and not the wireless. You now should still be able to remote into your laptop with the e682 running.

Excellent advice, dgtlpro. After updating to version 4 firmware on the E682, I followed your instructions and set the metric. Then I visited some earlier threads to see how to set up LOR and now I can play sequences with pixels! :lol:

I even got the zigzags right on the first try!

Big Thank You to All. :wub:

Excellent advice, dgtlpro. After updating to version 4 firmware on the E682, I followed your instructions and set the metric. Then I visited some earlier threads to see how to set up LOR and now I can play sequences with pixels! :lol:

I even got the zigzags right on the first try!

Big Thank You to All. :wub:

You're welcome... have fun with the pixels.

I cant even get my pixels to run a test In the main page  can anyone help with this issue , ive been reading so many post and nothing I do is working    thank you in advance for any help  and sorry for jumping in a page  I just don't know what to do or what im doing wrong  I know its probably something very simple ,  I read the manual like 40 times

Calypso11,

From your message I gather that you can get to the web page for the E682, but even trying a test mode, you can't get the pixels to light. Assuming that is the case, here are a few suggestions:

1) Make SURE you have the pixels wired correctly. Do not assume anything from the wire colors, you MUST verify what color is right by looking at the labels on the strip itself.

2) Make sure you are supplying the correct voltage. If your strips are 5 volt and you supply 12 volts, you will likely damage the strips (or so I've been told - not gonna try it). If your strips are 12 volt and you supply 5 volts, they likely won't light at all (again, I haave not tried that).

3) Make sure you have the correct strip type in the E682 configuration. Different strip types take different data formats.

If I am wrong about you being able to see the web page, please explain in more detail what problem you are having.

after about 6 hours playing with it  i had them wired from wrong side of pixel , after i figured that out i ran a sequence and got them to work  ,  now time to start converting over  i love the end result but people way under estimate the time and dedication it takes to get these shows up and going but the end result is so worth it     ,      thank you again  im sure before the weekends up ill have more questions  lol

I do have a question though ,  I have 5 peeks and running 4 set up sides of house  , and help with how to put them in these universe and label?  peek 1 (176 pixel) , peek 2 (111 pixels) , peek 3(177 pixels) , peek 4 (162 pixels) , above garage (196 pixels) , up side first 2 (137 pixels) next 2 (83 pixels)  not sure how to separate in clusters  and sorry for hijacking post again