Light-O-Rama Forums
jimswinder

JW03 - Closing 2 Sequences Open At Same Time

This bug has been around for a long time..or what I think is a bug.

I have two monitors so I open two sequences at the same time and resize them so there is one on each monitor.

When closing/saving the sequences, you can always close one by clicking on the "X", but the second one will never close by clicking on the "X" unless you click some other button first...

I'm running 3.9 and just tried that one.  Sure enough, could not close the second sequence with the X.

For the details, I opened two sequences and put one on each monitor.  Made a change to each one and saved each sequence.  Then closed one with the X and attempted to close the second one with the X.   The second one would not close.  I did close it with the Close icon.

Does the close icon which did close it look like an X  ?

No.  It's the file folder with the green arrow pointing to the upper left - third icon from the left on the menu bar at the top of SE (between the Open and Save icons).

Unable to repeat the problem on my two monitor setup.  Tried at least 10 times.    I stretched SE across both monitors.   Open two sequences and select tile vertical.  Each was entirely on a single screen.  Made a change and save to each.  All combinations of red X close window (close MDI form) always worked.  I have a question.    Only one of the two can have the Focus.   One has the active top bar color and the other has the inactive color.   After a close does the other one get the focus color?  

Hey Bob...

I noticed if you do use "Tile Vertically" it does work...but if you MANUALLY re-size the sequences to fit in both monitors, it does not..so try resizing your sequences and moving them without using "Tile Vertically"...

So I guess my "fix" is...use "Tile Vertically"...

:P

PS And Yes...the focus color will change to the other sequence even when resizing manually.

Edited by jimswinder

lol    is this a gag on me?    Manual sizing did not make a difference.    Does it fail only if you change the sequence?    Are you saving with a keyboard shortcut?   Do I need to jump on one leg and clap three time while spinning around?

No Bob...no gag...I have had this issue for years on my computer...

Nope, not saving with a shortcut...and the problem is when you try and close it down with the Red "X" in the upper right hand corner...

If I had some recording software I would record it for ya...

Edited by jimswinder

If this is a windows machine, the reason you can only get one X to close at a time is because the other "window" is not the selected window until you click on it and then it is made to be the "selected" window. In other words, which ever window you are working on last will be the window that is in the "forefront", the next window is in the "background" until you click on it or it's the last window open, then it comes to the "forefront". hope that makes sense??

Edited by bisquit476

bisquit476, you missed the problem.  Have 2 sequences open.  Yes, we all understand that only one has the focus.  Close one with the X.  Now there is only one open and it has the focus.  Can't close it with the X.

I have the same issue. Sometimes I have to close the final opened sequence editor with the task manager.

I haven't yet been able to duplicate this.  Does it happen only if you're using two screens, or does it also happen with both sequences on one screen?

When you have multiple sequences open, there are actually three or more "X" buttons:

(1) Close the Sequence Editor

(2) Close the active tab (in the tab strip showing sequence titles), which in turn closes the sequence in that tab

(3+) Close a particular sequence

I assume you're not using (1).  When you close the first sequence, which of (2) or (3+) are you using? In either case, does the "X" for (2) go away after you close the next-to-last sequence?

I do experience the same, similar problem

In the sequencer  two sequences open, clikcing the upper level one away or moving the window is going wel.

after clicking away the upper level  window , the one left behind is not able to activate in the red   x icon    or to move around until after I resize the main sequencer window with the square box  next to the red  X icon of the main sequencer window

as you can see in picture1 the red X is able to get activated for closing ( sluiten  in dutch ), in the second picture you see it is impossible to activate the red x this way or moving this window around. When hovering over the red x ,  this tiny textwindow with "sluiten" ( close ) does not appear.

Tried it in 3.10.12 and 3.10.14 on mac an I5 pc   same occurs

first image in this reply

second image in this reply

Dick de Wit

The Netherlands

Edited by Trickyd

second image

post-7676-0-85792300-1383499832_thumb.jp

Edited by Trickyd

I haven't yet been able to duplicate this.  Does it happen only if you're using two screens, or does it also happen with both sequences on one screen?

When you have multiple sequences open, there are actually three or more "X" buttons:

(1) Close the Sequence Editor

(2) Close the active tab (in the tab strip showing sequence titles), which in turn closes the sequence in that tab

(3+) Close a particular sequence

I assume you're not using (1).  When you close the first sequence, which of (2) or (3+) are you using? In either case, does the "X" for (2) go away after you close the next-to-last sequence?

Sorry Bob..did not see that you chimed in until today...

I think BobO discovered the problem. Unfortunately I have since deleted his emails to me about it...but essentially if you look close and put a finger over the red x on the second sequence...when you close the first sequence with the Red X, you can see the second open sequence slightly move up or down. I forget what BobO called this...perhaps he will chime in again, but this  (according to BobO) keeps you from actually clicking on the "x" since it has moved.

In answer to your question Bob...I use #3..closing a particular sequence. No..the "X" does not go away...it just does not do anything when you attempt to click on it...or anywhere around it.

Edited by jimswinder

Trickyd, are you also using two monitors, or just a single monitor?

Good afternoon,

I am using  1 monitor and 2 sequences within  1  sequencer session

see the first image as the example, the one sequence in the front is able to click away with the red x of its own window.

the second sequence behind, which becomes the only one open after closing the one in front is unable to move or to click into the  x   of its own window for closing

When I  as a second step I re-size the main sequencerprogram window, with the square icon next to the red x,  then it is possible again to either move the only one left sequence window or to close it. so this resizing seems to trigger the activitystatus of the window  and thus of the red x also.

hope this gives more detailed info for you.

have a nice day

(sorry to bother you with this kind of issues)

Dick de Wit

Well, this was a pretty wacky one, but I think we've got it under control for the next release.  In the meantime, as a workaround, I've noticed that you can click the Sequence Editor's blue title bar and then the sequence's X, and then the sequence will close.

Thank you Bob,

I wish more software developers were as user-comunication-friendly as LOR.

Good job.

Have a nice day

Dick de Wit

The Netherlands

Well, this was a pretty wacky one, but I think we've got it under control for the next release.

Wacky is as Wacky does... LOL

Thanks Bob!!

Yeah Jim!   Bob got it fixed for you !   Never could get it to happen here.      Bob if you are able to explain when and why it happened it could be a wacky funny story. 

Yeah Jim!   Bob got it fixed for you !   Never could get it to happen here.      Bob if you are able to explain when and why it happened it could be a wacky funny story. 

See Bob..I wasn't pulling your leg!!  LOL

Bob if you are able to explain when and why it happened it could be a wacky funny story. 

Sorry, I can't explain why it happens.  I have no idea why it happens.

First, it doesn't happen AT ALL when I run the program from inside of the IDE.  It only happens when the EXE itself is run (which is why I was unable to reproduce it before - I had always been trying from inside of the IDE).

Second, it only happens when the sequences are not maximized (with respect to the Sequence Editor), and it only happens on the very last sequence - i.e. no matter how many sequences you have open, the "X" will work on all of them until you whittle your way down to only a single sequence being open.

While trying to figure it out, I put in some message boxes with some debugging info - outputting what sequence had the focus (if any), stuff like that.  That debugging info didn't reveal anything unexpected - everything looked to me like it should be working fine.  However, I noticed that clicking the "OK" button to dismiss the message boxes was itself enough to get the bug to stop happening.

So I played around with it a bit more, and eventually hit upon the following strange workaround:

Immediately after a sequence is closed, if there is only one sequence remaining open, I "show" a tiny empty window and immediately hide it again, and then set focus to the sequence (I put "show" in quotes because the tiny empty window is invisible, so I mean "show" in the programming sense rather than the English sense).  That's enough to get the "X" on the last sequence working again.  But I have no idea why it's enough to do so, nor any idea why the "X" isn't working in the first place.