Light-O-Rama Forums

Questions regarding the use of the 500K setting in network settings

callycoon

I was wondering if anyone could educate me on the use of the 500k setting in the configuration tool.

I am currently running two of the CTB16PC controllers and 2 CCP's controllers in my show. I was told by a member that the CTB's will not process in the 500K setting but the CCP's can and after checking out the smoothness of the color rendering and the flow of the CCP's in the 500k setting I am wondering what I need to do to run both of my CCP's on this setting and still make the show work. I was amazed at the difference and bummed that I am only just finding out about this network option. I had a few minor issues with color and light movement in my last year show that this setting has solved. It really creates the effect that I am looking at in the animation window far more accurately, mainly the smoothness of the chases and accuracy of the colors. 

I was playing around with the 500k setting tonight with just my CCP controllers and lights daisy chained together and plugged in and can only get one strand to light at a time. What do I need to do to run both on 500k at the same time?

Can I run a show with my CTB's on 115k and my two CCP's on 500k if so how do I go about doing so?(how many adapters do I need, how many USB hubs do I need on my laptop)

Should I invest in one of the high speed USB485 adapters or will the basic ones work fine?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Any controller that is Gen3, which I think came out in Oct 2012, will run the 500K speed as long as you have the firmware update that was released last year. (there was another firmware update recently, but I can't remember which controllers it was for). Some of the USB485 adapters will and some won't run the 500K speed. Mine did last year on CTB16PC controllers as well as 4CCP controllers. With the 500k, you should be able to run the CTBs and CCPs on the same network, although some say you shouldn't. Personally, this year, I will run all 6 of my controllers on a 115K network, all 4 of my CCP controllers on a 500K network using the new USB485-HS dongle, 1 DMX Dongle (Enttec Pro Compatible) and then all the rest on E1.31.

Does your CCP Set-up look like this? 

If so, Notice that "CCB with 2 string"s is checked. Also, for visualizer set-up you'll most likely need to set up the "Unit ID for CCB String 2" as seen in the pic. If you use Unit Id for the controller as "1", string 2 will show Unit 1 st2, but will actually be Unit 2. Aux A is checked because you are talking about running 2 detworks and this will be how you need to set it up. 

I think I covered everything.

Anyway, hope this gets you up and running.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Im pretty sure they're backwards compatible. As far as running older boards (gen2) and the gen 3 boards on the same network that is setup as 500k, the older boards will not work. I found that out last year. Everything lit up except my single Gen 2 board. I ran the regular controllers on 115k and CCPs on 500k

Edited by Ron Boyd

So people aren't lost on this thread.

Post #3 was this one. (I'm 99% of this.)

The post is/was:

So that brings up a very good question that I haven't read a response for yet, can the USB485-HS support high speed devices (500K) as well as slower older Gen2 PC boards (115K) on the same network? And if you had no high speed devices on the network at all, will the USB485-HS throttle down to slower speeds to support the older hardware?

Don,

Can you look at a 485 adapter and determine if it is HS or not?  I have been using 485 Isolated adapters but do not remember seeing any reference to HS on them or on the order page for replacements?

JD

Don,

Can you look at a 485 adapter and determine if it is HS or not?  I have been using 485 Isolated adapters but do not remember seeing any reference to HS on them or on the order page for replacements?

JD

Right now there is only one -HS model, and it's not ISO. 

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that newer ISO's (last 3-4 years?) *might* handle 500k with no problem. I'm basing this on testing I've done in the past, only.

The 3 HS ones that I have are red. All the other ones I have are black. As Don said, some of the older ones will run the 500k. The 2 I had set up last year did. Of course, as I said before, the one controller that would not run was my Gen2

• 4 weeks later...

How do you know if controller is gen three (purchased last year from wow )

I have 6 ccr and 3 ctb16pc and two black and two red USB adapters can I run on one network and how or were do I switch to 500k

How do you know if controller is gen three (purchased last year from wow )

I have 6 ccr and 3 ctb16pc and two black and two red USB adapters can I run on one network and how or were do I switch to 500k

Few ways.

1) Hook it up and search for the controller in the Hardware Utility. Will show 'G3' in the controller name.

2) Look at the board. It will say G2 in the product name. (No, that's not a typo. It's a screen printing error.)

3) Turn it on. Status light blinks green. 

I have my controllers running and g3 comes up and lights are green in controller . I'm using last years black USB adapter and want to switch to the red

Can I just switch to the red and where do I change the settings in seq editor to 500 k

Can I update the version with all 8 controllers hooked up

I found a post earlier but can't locate now on this topic

Thanks you

Can I just switch to the red and where do I change the settings in seq editor to 500 k

Can I update the version with all 8 controllers hooked up

Yes, you can just switch out the USB adapter.

Look for Network Preferences in your LOR Control Panel.

You can update firmware with 8 controllers connected. However it is highly recommended that you have only one connected at a time.

I get a alarm when i click on the 57.6 speed setting

Run time error 339

Componet ccrpipa6ocx or one of its dependancies are not correctly registered or invalid