Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP New To Lor I Need Of Lots Of Help

jose8223

Where do I start what do I click :unsure:

Ok so I am new to lor after 5 seasons with Mr.christmas I have purchased two 16ch controllers and have assembled them.

however I am totally lost on making a sequence. I have looked at the videos and so on but they just dont show much. How can I see what I am doing on the sequence as I attempt to make one I did make a image on lor visualizer however it is only a picture how can I see the animation as the actual setup I would be using outside. please help I don't want to disappoint my children.

again new here sorry if posted in wrong area.

first off welcome Jose,your in the right place. ok first off do you have your seqeunce editor setup for 32 channels? unit 1  1-16 then unit 2 1-16. now you can have props setup within each controller. second have you drawn your props in the visualizer? the visualizer is where you will watch what your sequence is doing in real time. do you have your music running in the sequence editor? really with the information you have givin you need to read the various sections of the forums especially the visualizer. then learn some and comeback with more questions

You are a little late to the party.. but welcome to the addition. 

I am sorry that I have not the time to help you, but hopefully somone will.  

I can tell you this though:

• plug some lights into the controllers
  • connect the controllers to your computer.
  • Make the hardware utility run the lights from your computer. You will have to read to do that, but not too much.  just follow the manuals.
  • Once you have that done, open the sequence editor, make a new sequence by following the instructions..
  • Start to play with it and see what it does to the lights.  If you an make even one light come on solid from the Sequence editor you are at a very good starting point. 
  • Once you have it where you can turn on a light or two.. then just start playing with it.. see what the buttons do in the videos..

You have no starting point for others to help you until you are at this juncture.  Should not take you long

Get that done and then ask for more help.  There are plenty of good people here that might have some time to help you get started. 

Slow down, take some time and breath first.  You are letting the thought of doing this overwhelm you.  First off, go here,http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/  and start learning from the beginning.  No matter how much we try to help you

here its not going to be as good watching the videos and playing with your stuff as the video goes along.  Let the videos guide as to what to do next.  You do not need to get your boxes hooked up yet.   What you do need to do next is figure out what you are going to have in your display, where it is going to go, how many lights around each window or how many lights each prop will have.  Then you need to figure out where you are going to put your controllers  and what controller is going to control what parts of your display.  Then you have to make sure that your controller is not going to be over loaded with lights.   Draw a picture of your yard.  Then place lights and props everywhere you want them and how many lights there are.  Next pick a spot for your controllers and figure out what circuit will control each item(s).  Now start adding  up the amps on each circuit and then each side of the controller box and make sure you are not overloaded.  If ok there write every thing down, ( Box 1, circuit 1, roof lights, 2.3 amps) Once you have that down you can then go to the sequence editor and start creating your template.  If you only have a picture of your house then you will want to watch the video that shows you how to draw all the lights in your display onto it so that you can see it when programming.    Good Luck

• Like 1

I too am new to this obsession this year. I jumped in with 1 16 channel controller and 2 CCR ribbons. I just got them a few weeks ago so I wanted to start small. I was just like you , it all seemed so complicated and how on earth could I generate a show in the time I have left. I felt overwhelmed to say the least.  I found this forum and members to be a vault of information. Search through the threads, you will find info like I did. I also came across this link (posted somewhere here http://www.superstarlights.com/Software/Videos.php) that helped me immensely in learning to sequence. I have been working on my 1st song and its coming along nicely. Download some examples and see how they work, it is such a nice feeling seeing your creation come alive. I am like a little kid again waiting for Christmas! Good luck!

The above advice is very good and should be done first.  There are quiet a few members is in Florida.  Send a PM to a couple that are close to you that maybe you can visit them.  As mentioned in other posts for newbies, this is crunch time getting our displays together, getting your homework done and asking specific questions will get you better results.

Welcome aboard!

What help me a lot when first starting was download a sequence and watched/study the sequence channels on one screen and the animation on the other. It basically showed me how the sequences brought the lights to life. Reading about it is one thing, but seeing it and having the ability modify/change it made a lot of it "clicked" in my mind. I seen how it was created and took it from there. But sequencing only gets you part of the way. Need to understand the design, setup, testing, power loads,cabling, schedules, ect, ect, ect. All these "other" things are just as important as the sequencing. What's the point of having a great sequence if you can figure out how to connect the controllers, set up the network, how many lights can you use, how to daisy-chain the controllers, setting up the times to play, ect, ect, ect.

Due to the time constraint...you already given the best advise. Contact someone in your area. An hr or two with someone that know their stuff is like gaining a month of knowledge on your own. All those little things that took many of us hours and hours to learn can be taught in a matter of minutes. The hard part is going to remember it all....so take notes!!

• Like 1

Welcome Jose.  If you were in the Orlando area I could have given you some direct hands on experience and help, but Homestead unfortunately is just a tad too far from where I am {I'm located somewhere between South East and North East Orlando.  Probably closer to North East side.

But if you're ever going to be in the Orlando area, send me a PM and maybe we could get together.  I'm retired and disabled, so don't really drive now {my wife drives me where I need to go, but she doesn't do well driving long distances}, so aside from a few activities I am involved in, I'm usually always home.  Again, just send me a PM if you're going to be in the Orlando area, and I'd be more than happy to help you out with whatever I can to get you going.  I don't use the visualizer myself, I still use and prefer the animation window.

Edited by Orville

I still use the animation windows as well.

I'm not sure if I could pull off a show from scratch this late.

Lots of time for next year tho!

Isn't that what is usually just called "East"? :P

If I were exactly centered, yes, but I'm not centered, more to the North East quadrant and that's why I stated it that way.

If I were exactly centered, yes, but I'm not centered, more to the North East quadrant and that's why I stated it that way.

Still not sure how that has anything to do with Southeast though.  Sounds like East-Northeast would be the most accurate then (maybe with a touch of WNW too).  Maybe not though since you are closer to the equator than I. :rolleyes:

250px-Compass_Rose_English_Northeast.svg

• Like 1

Still not sure how that has anything to do with Southeast though.  Sounds like East-Northeast would be the most accurate then (maybe with a touch of WNW too).  Maybe not though since you are closer to the equator than I. :rolleyes:

all I can see is a lighted star

B):lol::ph34r: Stealth mode back on..  But sounds like east to me too.....

I am a licensed surveyor in the state of Florida.  I kid you not... LS6653

In the state of Florida, there is no statutory definition of 'East'.  So the proper reference to the direction we would call 'East' is actually 'southeast northeast'.

Maybe that time I was kidding. :P  

It could be worst You could be as far as the East is from the West and As far as the North is from the South.

Isn't that right in the middle, i.e. downtown Orlando?