Light-O-Rama Forums

How to mount Controllers?

mjdamico23

How is everyone mounting their controllers? There are no holes in the back and not sure if its meant for us to be messing with it by making holes. I'm out in western NY and get lots of snow, any ideas?

I just drill a hole in the top corners and one in the bottom and mount it to a t shaped apparatus using Angle and flat bar stock. You can buy these mounts for up to about $30  http://store.3glightingcreations.com/enclosure-accessories/

or you can make them for about $5. If you're worried about the elements, a little plumbers putty around the drilled holes will take care of that.

I just drill a hole in the top corners and one in the bottom and mount it to a t shaped apparatus using Angle and flat bar stock. You can buy these mounts for up to about $30  http://store.3glightingcreations.com/enclosure-accessories/

or you can make them for about $5. If you're worried about the elements, a little plumbers putty around the drilled holes will take care of that.

Thanks, seems easy enough!

I have 8 screwed into the side of my house where they stay all year long.

Temps here range from +35 C (Almost 100 F) to well below -35 C (about the same in F)

• Like 1

I'm trying something with a bit more physical security, as well as an added layer of weather protection. I just dug two small holes hidden behind my landscaping vegetation about 2ft by 4ft by 2 ft deep each, laid a little unusued landscape brick in the hole as a base and added couple of bags of sackrete to create a hidden concrete pad about 3in above surface level. Then I drilled four small holes in the pad for concrete anchors. I then drilled four holes (same dimensions) into two lockboxes ($19 Picture Attached.) that I had laying around and mounted the box to the pads using screws, a large washer and garden hose washers to ensure no water could possibly come up from the bottom. My CG-1500's will go inside, and I found that I can very comfortably put up to four in the box. The footlocker boxes are already waterproof so the CG 1500's are overkill. I can put a lock on it to ensure no one fiddles with it in the unlikely event anyone tries. Two holes on each end for cords, and a piece of rubber from an innertube screwed to the box over the holes keep the rain out, and I can even keep the plug ends dry on the inside of the box eliminating the seasonal electrical taping ritual. Add a security padlock and I have a nice solution secure from unwanted access, weather, and too heavy to leisurely walk off with. Its easy for me to access if troubleshooting as well. At the end of the holiday, I can simply unbolt the box and it serves as a storage container too with plenty of extra room to coil up the rest cords until next time. Big comfortable handles too. The molding marks on the top interlock to allow secure stacking while in storage.

Edited by Bizywk
  • Like 1

Just drive a 4' 1x3 12" into the ground. Open case and use 2 drywall screws into said 1x3. Won't go anywhere, up high enough off the ground and stake ain't going anywhere because ground is frozen.

• Like 1

Just drive a 4' 1x3 12" into the ground. Open case and use 2 drywall screws into said 1x3. Won't go anywhere, up high enough off the ground and stake ain't going anywhere because ground is frozen.

pretty much the same thing I do, it works great

Here are a couple of pics of how I mounted 3 controllers that get placed by the elements in the yard.  I had a 2x8 laying around so I cut it and bought 3ft. aluminum L brackets and screwed those to the edge of the wood.  after attaching the controller they just push straight into the ground.

http://s994.photobucket.com/user/75redman/media/Controller%20Mount/IMG_6716_zpsbe21fe7e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s994.photobucket.com/user/75redman/media/Controller%20Mount/IMG_6717_zpsc7bfe437.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

• 3 weeks later...

I use two of these, http://store.3glightingcreations.com/single-enclosure-stake-26/ for my arches. This for my mega trees, http://store.3glightingcreations.com/pole-mount-enclosure-bracket/. And 4 of these, http://www.christmaslightshow.com/light-o-rama-light-controller-stand-for-non-grass-areas.html. And the rest I just mount to the house or to a 4x4 fence posts.

Edited by ny_yankee_25

• 2 weeks later...

The are as many ways to mount them as there are folks using them.  Here is what I came up with.  I mounted a piece of plywood to two lengths of 1/2" conduit and cemented them into a two hole cinder block.  Yes, very heavy, but extremely stable.  This is one of my single mounts.  I also made a couple back to back supports for dual controllers.  I mounted a piece of 2x8 in between the conduit posts.  I also cut "V"s into the 2-by for better rigidity and screwed thru the conduit into the sides of the 2-by. In the off season I cover them with 1-gal food bags to keep most of the rain off them.

I'm trying something with a bit more physical security, as well as an added layer of weather protection. I just dug two small holes hidden behind my landscaping vegetation about 2ft by 4ft by 2 ft deep each, laid a little unusued landscape brick in the hole as a base and added couple of bags of sackrete to create a hidden concrete pad about 3in above surface level. Then I drilled four small holes in the pad for concrete anchors. I then drilled four holes (same dimensions) into two lockboxes ($19 Picture Attached.) that I had laying around and mounted the box to the pads using screws, a large washer and garden hose washers to ensure no water could possibly come up from the bottom. My CG-1500's will go inside, and I found that I can very comfortably put up to four in the box. The footlocker boxes are already waterproof so the CG 1500's are overkill. I can put a lock on it to ensure no one fiddles with it in the unlikely event anyone tries. Two holes on each end for cords, and a piece of rubber from an innertube screwed to the box over the holes keep the rain out, and I can even keep the plug ends dry on the inside of the box eliminating the seasonal electrical taping ritual. Add a security padlock and I have a nice solution secure from unwanted access, weather, and too heavy to leisurely walk off with. Its easy for me to access if troubleshooting as well. At the end of the holiday, I can simply unbolt the box and it serves as a storage container too with plenty of extra room to coil up the rest cords until next time. Big comfortable handles too. The molding marks on the top interlock to allow secure stacking while in storage.

I did almost the same thing using a different box, but I cut two rectangles about (4"x6") in the bottom of the tool cest. I set the tool cheat on top of some cut landscape timbers. That way the cords are coming out the bottom. I mounted the controllers to the sides of the tool chest, then laied in my GFI  power center (mounted on legs) over the cords and plugged in. I use a chain with locks that go around a tree. I saved the cutouts from the bottom and attached a larger piece of FRP the the cut out and when I get ready to store the equipment. I put the cutout back in the bottom of the chest and use it to store mt controllers.