Light-O-Rama Forums

Recommended set up for LOR and DMX

ranjanpa

I have a LOR network with four controllers. Am planning to add a DMX universe this year. Am deciding between below options.

1. Use a single network with LOR and DMX universe. Use an adapter and daisy chain LOR and DMX

2. Use two different networks - one for LOR and other for DMX each connected to the PC via a USB dongle,

Second option is more expensive as I will use a DMX controller and a adapter. 

Please advice as this is the first time I am planning a DMX. network.All help appreciated.

Thanks

Unfortunately, you'll have to pick the second option, unless you run your regular controllers in DMX Mode. I have not done this, so, I unfortunately can't give the good and the bad of this type of setup. However, last year I learned that you need a LOR network and then a separate DMX dongle for the DMX network. The USB485 will do the DMX network. You can also use the CC Devices for your pixels and/or RGB and those will daisy chain with the regular LOR boxes.

I read a thread that LOR fixed the +1 channel issue with DMX but I have not tested it yet. If you're unfamiliar with the +1 issue, last year all of my DMX elements started on channel 2. Instead of the first RGB channel being 1R, 2G, 3B, etc. it was 2R, 3G, 4B, etc..

Last year was my second year at this addiction and I ran the iDMX right off the LOR network..  Worked first time every time.  It has its limitations of 128 channels per unit and it is expensive compared to what else is out there, but unless you are a DIYer the iDMX is the way to go.  To me it was worth the cost. 

This year I have added about 3600 channels and so LOR has nothing in the DMX realm that will do what I want so I am going with the E1.31 for those channels.  Going to keep my original LOR network and iDMX though..

I have used the iDMX since it was introduced however many years ago. The iDMX is not limited to 128 channels. It supports the full DMX512 DMX channels. There is a 128 channel limit to what is called iChans, or intelligent channels. This being, having the iDMX do a ramp, fade, shimmer or twinkle (Specifically LOR Features) on 128 channels simultaneously. After 128 channels things become erratic.

I agree, it is a spendy unit compared to what is out there in competition, but there are advantages to it as well. I sits inside the LOR network, and can be run wirelessly with the ELLs.

Not to split hairs, but E1.31 is DMX, and LOR does support this. E1.31 is DMX over Ethernet. I too will be running E1.31 with LOR this year, with at least 6804 channels so far.

Edited by zman

I read a thread that LOR fixed the +1 channel issue with DMX but I have not tested it yet. If you're unfamiliar with the +1 issue, last year all of my DMX elements started on channel 2. Instead of the first RGB channel being 1R, 2G, 3B, etc. it was 2R, 3G, 4B, etc..

Yes, the +1 problem has been fixed and I have tested each of the LOR USB 485 adapters and they pass the DMX signal with great success.

And you do NOT have to have a LOR network defined in order to run DMX only. Just turn LOR Adapters off in Network Preferences.

Related post: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/16319-supported-dmx-adapters/

The LOR 485 units rely on your computer for DMX timing and may stutter if your computer gets busy.

Some people reported problems with the Enttec Open model not keeping up with sound.

It relies on your computer to generate the DMX signal.

No one has reported problems with the Enttec Pro or the DMXKing or the DMX Fusion Pro.

The one from HolidayCoro is also good, but you can only put one on your system (unless you modify it's onboard memory).

These all generate the DMX signal themselves; no timing issues.

Hint: if you use the 485 adapters, write the internal "device code" on the outside of the adapter so you can tell which is which when you plug them in.

Edited by Ken Benedict

This may be a silly question...but here goes. E1.31 is DMX over ethernet cable, so if I go out of the PC to a wireless switch, I can go from the wireless switch to a LOR controller if it is running in DMX mode?

And also, if I broadcast it on wireless, then I could have a wireless receiver set as a client and then connect it to a LOR DC board also running in DMX mode???

Thoughts? Or will the LOR boards not accept E1.31 directly and require them be converted?

Edited by christmas chris

So if you are running 3600 channels, how many universes is that? What hardware are you using for all these universes?

I started using DMX last year with just one universe, but I think I will need to add more universes this year as I am adding intelligent pixels to the display

Thanks

Edited by PatDelaney

I have the one "traditional DMX Universe" run inside my LOR network. This year with E1.31, a new RGB Tree and a simplified roof outline, I will be approx 15 universes.

I am using E682's to drive the pixels. 3 for the Tree, and 1 for the roof outline. If you are just now thinking about adding E1.31 of any magnitude, it may start to be too late as there is only 3 months or so till Light Up! which for me is Dec 1st.

This may be a silly question...but here goes. E1.31 is DMX over ethernet cable, so if I go out of the PC to a wireless switch, I can go from the wireless switch to a LOR controller if it is running in DMX mode?

Technically, E1.31 is DMX over ACN, which runs over UDP/IP. Ethernet cable (Cat5) can be used for other things than just Ethernet. Specifically, LOR controllers use it with RS-485 signalling.

LOR controllers will speak ether LOR or DMX (both using RS-485 as the hardware layer), but they will not speak E1.31, ACN, UDP/IP, or Ethernet.

There are devices that will convert E1.31 to native DMX. You could use one of these with wireless switch, but in the end you'd be spending more on a more complicated setup, and you'd lose some of the LOR features, like consistent shimmer effects.

And also, if I broadcast it on wireless, then I could have a wireless receiver set as a client and then connect it to a LOR DC board also running in DMX mode???

Thoughts? Or will the LOR boards not accept E1.31 directly and require them be converted?

Even though the connectors from an Ethernet switch will fit, DON'T plug it into the LOR controller.

There is DC voltage coming from the LOR unit that could damage things.

Ask a few more questions before you smoke something expensive.

• The topic was locked