Light-O-Rama Forums

New CMB24D RGB Controller

CLD Kevin

I have a new CMB24D-RGB completely built controller (Plug-N-Play) with 30A Power Supply and 8 RGB waterproof pigtails. You should have no problem driving (8) 5M dumb strips….taking in consideration length/distance of the strip to the controller (nothing that hasn’t been discussed many, many times)

http://www.store.creativelightingdisplays.com/CMB24D-RGB-DC-Controller-ReadyToGO-No-Assembly-CMB24D-RGB-RTG.htm

I will also be adding the same controller, but as a DIY Kit. Comes with all the main parts (DC Board, PS, Pigtails, Power Cable, Mounting Board & Enclosure) and you just add your own hardware and build yourself. I’ll update the post once added.

Another option I’m thinking about adding (depending if there is a want) is an additional 30A PS…in a separate enclosure. Link the 2 together via a single waterproof cable. This way you get the full 60A possible (30A each side) out of the CMB24D and drive 16 RGB Dumb strips….(2) 5M strips on the same RGB channels (best to power btwn the 2 strips and not end-2-end).

Kevin

• 2 months later...

I have a new CMB24D-RGB completely built controller (Plug-N-Play) with 30A Power Supply and 8 RGB waterproof pigtails. You should have no problem driving (8) 5M dumb strips….taking in consideration length/distance of the strip to the controller (nothing that hasn’t been discussed many, many times)

http://www.store.creativelightingdisplays.com/CMB24D-RGB-DC-Controller-ReadyToGO-No-Assembly-CMB24D-RGB-RTG.htm

I will also be adding the same controller, but as a DIY Kit. Comes with all the main parts (DC Board, PS, Pigtails, Power Cable, Mounting Board & Enclosure) and you just add your own hardware and build yourself. I’ll update the post once added.

Another option I’m thinking about adding (depending if there is a want) is an additional 30A PS…in a separate enclosure. Link the 2 together via a single waterproof cable. This way you get the full 60A possible (30A each side) out of the CMB24D and drive 16 RGB Dumb strips….(2) 5M strips on the same RGB channels (best to power btwn the 2 strips and not end-2-end).

Kevin

Kevin,

Are the dumb RGB strips "easy" to extend? I intend to add this to my 2014 display.

Thanks!

Kevin

I like the idea of the additional 30A PS. I like the CMB24D setup too and think I am going to be getting one. I just can't wrap my heard around how this runs on the LOR network and runs RGB at the same time. Can you set the Universe on the board its self or from the hardware utility?

Kevin,

Are the dumb RGB strips "easy" to extend? I intend to add this to my 2014 display.

Thanks!

They are, but distance is a major factor. How far the strip is from the controller. If you want to "extend" the strip, then I would have the power connect at the "extend" point or in the middle. Meaning is you want to take a 16ft strip and add another 10ft...then have the power connect to both strips between the two. This way the power is not traveling down 26ft of of the strip. If you connect the strip in series and power from one end, then the LEDs at the far end may be dimmer and appear a different color. I personally extended my strips 4 additional feet (20ft total) and connected in series and power from one end. This worked for me because the distance from the controller was only 20ft and I was using 18awg extension cables.

Btw, I carry in my online store 18awg RGB extension cables in several lengths to make it easy.

Kevin

I like the idea of the additional 30A PS. I like the CMB24D setup too and think I am going to be getting one. I just can't wrap my heard around how this runs on the LOR network and runs RGB at the same time. Can you set the Universe on the board its self or from the hardware utility?

The board is LOR and design as 8 separate RGB groups. 24 channels total...3 channels per RGB group. You connect right in to your existing LOR network. You dont need to use the HWU to set the unit ID. There are dip switches on the board, but use the HWU to verify the unit ID and test.