Light-O-Rama Forums

Can LOR be used to start a Fire?

Guest guest

I should of posted a video of us when we got the hard packed explosive out of a sonic boom (the thing that makes the boom) and set it up on a pile of gun powder with an old extension cord on it. Simply got some tiny wire (Think it was 1 strand of network cable) then tied it from hot to nuetral and buried it in gunpowder with the boom on top. We didnt think it would work, but jeeze, plugged it in and we couldn't hear for a few minutes. :]

Zac

I actually researched inexpensive (no rocket ignitors) electrical ignition a fews years ago for some RC airplane stuff. We wanted to do an airshow at the local RC club where planes would make a simulated strafing run that would trigger firecrackers on the ground to look (and sound) like bullets were actually being fired.

What we came up with is actaully quite simple and about 95% effective (we have a misfire once in a great while). We made a platform with 4 RC servos on it (normal 4 channel RC radio). All servos (except one) activate a momentary-on switch at each end of the servo's travel. The final servo had one momentary switch and one toggle switch.

The momentary switches were wired to sets of alligator clips (one positive and one negative). The negative side went straight to a 12v battery (the battery must be seperate from the RC system power). The positive side was switched by these momentary switches. The toggle switch was the safety switch which made the connection to the positive side of the battery. Each switch was operated by moving the servo to its extreme end of travel.

Between the alligator clips, wrap the firecracker fuse with a little wisp of steel wool (this is very cheap, but also very reliable). Once the whole system is setup, we have 7 firecrackers (or smoke bombs) ready to light. To set overything off, the operator would arm the system by toggling the safety, then sequentially leaning on each momentary switch. Pop, Pop, Pop. It would require a little timing finesse, as the planes are moving at around 40MPH, so you would need to lead the planes enough to allow for a believable show (fuse burn time) but we got it right with some practice.

Later on we discovered that nichrome wire is just as reliable and makes a smokeless, very fast ignition. If you buy a $7 toaster from wal-Mart, you can get enough nichrome wire to do about 200 shots. Just using thin copper wire was too unreliable for us, we got about 50% misfires.

Anyway, if I were doing this via LOR, I would substitute SSR's for the momentary switches, and it all should work fine. Just be sure to add the safety switch so that you can load the thing with peace of mind (wouldn't want to be loading the alligator clips when the computer hiccups).

Dave

No doubt on high price if you buy them as rocket igniters. They sell it by the spool at appliance parts places but you are probably right to say a cheap toaster will do!

Most spools start at $35! You can buy a few toasters for that!

RW

FBinthesouth wrote:

FYI- Model Rocket igniters are usually made of nicrome wire...

I haven't done rockets for years, but back when I did, the ignitors had a chemically treated tip and that was what produced the flame.

-Tim

John Pidliskey wrote:

This whole thing is a joke, right? Live sparks, fire,flame, ect.

NOT :devil:

Come on John, where's your sense of adventure?

I was planing on synchronizing potato cannons myself. :laughing:

jeffmill wrote:

I can't decide if this is the funniest, or scariest thread I've had the pleasure of reading since I became a PC member... Potato cannon?!? Didn't EAB or someone want a modified version of this to shoot candy canes? (...at people?!?!?)

ROTFL

jeff

Yep, except I'm doing it with lights and coroplast... LOL!!!

tfischer wrote:

There would be ways to make LOR create a spark. But as others have mentioned, it would be hard to light a candle with a spark. I also think it's a bit scary to have an unattended candle in a display (assuming you're not going to sit and watch it every second).

I think a flicker-flame candle might be the best (and certainly the easiest) option.

I been wanting to be able to ignite and adjust flame heights of LP gas powered tiki torches for years. Best I have been able to figure out is use Deisel glow spark plugs and use servo control to open up, adjust and close the LP gas flow.

I havent pressed the issue too much because this is something more of an engineer's task rather then their being a ready to purchase product and the apparent danger using explosive gases.

• 1 month later...

Threads like this is why there is no offseason at Planet Christmas. Reminds me of the thread last year where guys were putting mini strings in buckets of water and plugging them in. Made me go :shock:. Then :laughing:.

I was just going to mention where last years thread ended up with us putting Mini Lights in buckets of water and then freezing them. (shaking head)

AS my lights were in my bucket of water and my hand was on the switch, with meters and such ready for a quick measurement. I was thinking that exact same thought. Was this really a good idea or just plain stupid ...

turns out it was just a stupid light trick

we need our own show ...