Light-O-Rama Forums

Fog Chiller

caniac

took and old cooler and some wire mesh, 3" PVC, etc. and made one of these.  the first few test seemed ok but was hoping for more ground hugging.  figured I would let it sit so the ice could really "chill" things and now it appears obstructed.  thoughts?  haven't opened it up yet to check but it was only two thirds full of ice, don't think the could have melted that quick but who knows.

Do you have the nozzle of the fog machine to close to the PVC? May not getting enough air to push through.

Do you have the nozzle of the fog machine to close to the PVC? May not getting enough air to push through.

have it connected to the pvc that runs thru it, will try that.

I tested that this morning without out ice and it seems to work, will load it up with ice this evening and give it a go.

just tested it frequently and it works like a charm though I discovered the piece of 3" irrigation tubing has holes along the side (which is fine for it's original intended purpose but not so much for this).  gonna be a fun Halloween.

just tested it frequently and it works like a charm though I discovered the piece of 3" irrigation tubing has holes along the side (which is fine for it's original intended purpose but not so much for this).  gonna be a fun Halloween.

Go Go Go Godzilla!

What i have done is use 1/2" hardware cloth between the inlet and outlet.  I also find that dry ice works the best.

What i have done is use 1/2" hardware cloth between the inlet and outlet.  I also find that dry ice works the best.

yep, using that.

I have 2 fog chillers i put together in the past and if you use a High output fog unit you will need a larger fog chiller. do to the output that they can send out. the longer the fog is in the cooler the colder it will get and the longer it will stay to the ground. I also use Dry ice on top of the ice with some cardboard under the dry ice to keep it from the water. last year i used a fan and a expandable tube so i can place the fog unint and chiller on the side of the house. This worked out very well i didnt get the noise from the fog or the fan but had alot of fog cover my yard and the block with low laying fog.  I have 4 fog unit 2 can push out 20000qf  and the athor 2 10000 qf a minute. and last year i only used the 2 larger foger and all controled buy LOR Software with some interfaces i made to control the foger. worked out nicely. 

In Wisconsin, Halloween night is usually chili.  Getting the fog colder than the air plus getting the fogger up to temp is challenging.

• Like 1

I would have to agre with scubado. I live in california so its not that cold. My brother lives in wisconsin it would be very chalenging to get the fog to be low laying there.

Going to do a test tonight with Light Em Up by the Fall Out Boy.  Testing the landscape lights and fog in the new flowerbed.

Going to do a test tonight with Light Em Up by the Fall Out Boy.  Testing the landscape lights and fog in the new flowerbed.

post a video please!!

Running the fog machine in the flowerbed was a bust.   Air drift was in the wrong direction.  Also the best fog was leaving the top off the cooler and let the fog pour out the top.

The neighbors were over to see 'Light Em Up' and they loved it.  I want to do a little more with it and fix a couple channels that aren't addressed right.

If you use a small fan and a 8" Ventilation Duct. I pick up this last year from Harbor Freight and work out great!  have the fog units in the planter and was abile to direct the fog in any direction depinding on the wind. and it also helped with the fog noise and took it away from the yard.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-ventilation-duct-97763.html

this is the link to the Ventilation Duct.

Edited by HallowXmas

While a fog chiller is an awesome addition I have struggled with it year after year.  Here is what I learned. 

You can test all day long and get the perfect chiller but a little wind changes everything.

Stay away from irrigation pipes the bumps agitate the fog and its not as smooth.  Perfect example: Fog your smooth driveway with a chiller.  It looks awesome.  Now walk through it....Not so cool anymore.  

I have played around with fans but I found that if you have a nicely sealed chiller you will be fine going 10 to 15 feet without agitating the fog with a fan.   

While your own results will vary depending on the weather this is what I have learned from California weather with my imitation vortex chillers.  

• Like 1