Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Clips

rainyoregonchristmas

A question came up in the Coffee Shop.  Just "how do I connect the pixels to my Rainy Tree?"   I'll tell you in a moment, but first I want to let you all know, my inspiration for this project came from my father.  As he's in his early 70's, his hands aren't what they use to be.  Though he was quite excited to join in on this hobby, it frustrated me to see how his hands hurt while trying to assemble his mega tree.  I knew there had to be another way, so I spent the last several months working hard in designing, and redesigning a special clip just to attach Cosmic Color Pixels, or any other .500" diameter pixel to the Rainy Tree.  The best part is that not only will it work on the aluminum bar stock of the Rainy Trees, but also 550 para cord and the best part....

I also designed it to clip on to

Poly Banding!!!

Yup, I am creating a clip that will cut the hour plus it takes to currently attach pixels to poly banding down to a few minutes.

http://sdrv.ms/1c6sdxD

http://sdrv.ms/14K8dbq

There is a catch however I will be doing the project through Kickstarter because what I have are working prototypes not finished production models.  To get to the production model I will need some help from others.  Pending Kickstarter's approval of my project, I hope to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.  As is tradition with Kickstarter, there's rewards for joining in...  In this case Pixel Clips of course!

I'll let you all know when the Kickstarter project is fully underway. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

• Like 2

There is enough room in the extrusion to be able to mill a hole in it perpendicular to the any of the tree substrates, bar stock, rope or banding.  That would make it a little wider of a clip, and the mill op will add cost, but you'll still be able to attach it just like any other clips.  I was planning on this as a part of my vision for the clip.

As far as the 1/4" round bar stock.  I did not include an attachment feature for it on this clip.  That was on purpose as there are many other clips out there currently designed for the round bar and pixels.  I didn't want to repeat anything, I wanted something new to bring to market.

In the future, I will also be adding these as an option on the Rainy Trees both the banding and bar stock models.

But, the standard Mini Light clips do not work on Pixels. The pixels are larger than the standard mini light/ led mini.

Pixels are 12mm (.472") where mini light/led minis are about 3/8" (.375") so the clips tend to break when fitting to pixels or they just don't hold correctly because they don't fit around enough of the pixel. 

So, I'm still looking for some that fit properly. maybe I'll just design my own.

Is there lip/ridge (at the arrow) where the clip attaches to the banding?  To prevent the clip from slipping off the banding material?

post-7806-0-11420200-1377456671_thumb.jp

Yes, there is, but unfortunately on that prototype a miscommunication between myself and the guy I had print them put it on the wrong side of the gap so it's not engaged with the banding.  It is there so that if one clip does fail or unhook, the whole banding strap doesn't "Unzip" with one after another coming off.  I tried to think of all contingencies. 

But, the standard Mini Light clips do not work on Pixels. The pixels are larger than the standard mini light/ led mini.

Pixels are 12mm (.472") where mini light/led minis are about 3/8" (.375") so the clips tend to break when fitting to pixels or they just don't hold correctly because they don't fit around enough of the pixel. 

So, I'm still looking for some that fit properly. maybe I'll just design my own.

I was for some reason thinking some one said that a C-7 light clip may fit CCP's.  I measured one with my calipers and found them to be just about .500 give or take depending on where you measured them.  The reason I focused on aluminum bar stock and banding is that the bar stock feature fits my "Rainy Tree" design, and the banding right now is the most popular media on which CCP and other torpedo shaped pixels are attached to.  The para cord was per a request.  I can look into it to see if there is room to add that too.

I know some of you are anxious to get this project rolling... I'm tying still waiting on the verification process... Seems to be taking forever. 

Matt, do you think these will be ready to buy within the next month? Just asking because I need to finish my pixel tree and if they will be ready in a couple of weeks, I'll wait. If not I'll proceed the way I started.

Thanks

Ron

It is with great frustration and sadness that I have to break the news to everyone that the Banding Clips will not be available this year in time for Christmas.  The shop I was working with who had facilities to work on extrusion dies in-house has declined to manufacture the clips in time for this year.  The second shop who I had bid the job had an acceptable bid, but did not have in-house die making facilities.  That, in combination with their current work load, pushed their lead time out by two to three months putting delivery in mid November to early December.  With an uncertain lengthy time frame, and not wanting to promise, but be unable to deliver I have decided not to go with the second company.  I have, to the best of my abilities, tried to make this happen this year, but unfortunately it will not.  The time it will take for yet another company to bid this job will add at least two more weeks to the time frame, making a reasonable attempt to complete this project this year improbable. 

I will continue to work on this project to refine the design and locate a company who will adequately meet the needs of this project so that I can bring it to fruition hopefully long before the 2014 Christmas season. 

Again, I apologize for having to put this project on hold.  As things change and I have new information on this project I will update it here on this forum.  The Kickstarter project will stay as it is, unlaunched, until I have a specific delivery date confirmed in writing by one of these or any other extrusion company. 

-Matt Ross

• 4 months later...

Christmas has come and gone, my lights are half down and I have a promise to keep.  In August of last year after several failed attempts to bring this clip to market I had to put it on hold.  Now it is a pleasure to announce that this project is back up and rolling.  In a few hours I expect to receive back a price quote to have the clips manufactured here in country just a mile from my house.  I spent quite a while meeting with them face to face yesterday.  We talked production costs, methods and materials, and I learned a lot.  I've seen their facilities, processes and equipment and believe they will more than meet the needs for this clip. 

I'm looking at taking a big step and having them manufacture a high volume injection mold capable of spitting out dozens and dozens of clips a minute.  It means a higher upfront cost, but a lower long term cost.  Meaning the overall cost per clip should be really quite reasonable.  So stay tuned, if things come out in my favor I should have an update tomorrow night as to when the Kickstarter will launch.

• Like 1

Yes, there is, but unfortunately on that prototype a miscommunication between myself and the guy I had print them put it on the wrong side of the gap so it's not engaged with the banding.  It is there so that if one clip does fail or unhook, the whole banding strap doesn't "Unzip" with one after another coming off.  I tried to think of all contingencies. 

What would help with stopping an Unzipping would be to install these clips alternating from left to right and right to left.

Just spoke to the Plastic Shop.  They have their numbers... we're just waiting on a cost estimate from the mold maker. So just a few more days.  I'm giddy, excited and terrified all at the same time.  So many what if's.  I really hope you guys like this project.  It is quite an undertaking.  It's a large enough project that when I first started talking details, the sales man literally choked when he asked me what the minimum run quantity would be and I told him the first run would at least have to be 250,000 clips.  At that point our conversation immediately changed from a small 4 cavity mold to one capable of making 32 clips at a time. 

I'll keep updating as I get details.

I like the design how it will keep water away from the wire inlet. What do you think cost will be to buy, and how will you be selling them, 100 a bagor 250 ?