Light-O-Rama Forums

Color problem with Pixels on an exported SS sequence

craigh

I created a CCR tree in the Visualizer with 24 strings and 50 pixels. Then in Superstar I set that configuration as my layout. 

I created a few effects, one is morphing from white (all colors set to 100) to a blue tail as it moved down the tree, it does this 3 times, then reverses direction and goes up the tree 3 times. So far no problems...

Wanted to see how this would look in the LOR Sequence - so I exported it to an LOR Sequence.

Now the problem begins -  The sequence in LOR does not have the morph effect start with White it changed the color from white to sort of a pink.

What happened? Will it actually turn the pixels to the pinkish color or ??? How do I fix this?

Craig

Edited by craigh

CCRs are not a true white, the LEDs in them are "cool white" which means they are a bluish white. SuperStar compensates for this by removing some of the blue so that when played to the CCRs you get a true white. It also makes the other colors stay true. The consequence of this is that white will look pinkish in the sequence editor. But rest assured it will look good on your actual CCRs.

It depends on if the LEDs in them are "cool white" or "warm white." When you put the two side to side, the warm white LEDs will look yellowish, but in fact the "cool white" are a bluish white and the "warm white" are a true white.

You can set if the LEDs are cool white or warm white by adding the text "superstar warm" or "superstar cool" in the comment line of a fixture. It turns out that CCPs are warm white, so if you have a visualization using CCPs you can add the text "superstar warm" to get them to use a dimming curve for "warm white" LEDs.

However, if you are using 3rd part RGB lights, you had to draw your visualization so that each light is a fixture and it would be a major pain to add that text into every fixture. So your better option is to go into  SuperStar and do the following:

1) click on the Tools menu and select Configuration

2) If you are in Visualization mode it will first pop up an information box letting you know that the Unit Id information that you set in the Configuration dialog box has no effect while in visualization mode, but the other settings at the top of the dialog box are still valid while in visualization mode, so just click on the OK button to get past the information box

3) At the top of the Configuration dialog box select "Export Raw Color Values"

4) Now when you export, all the colors will look normal in the Sequence Editor.

So it may be tempting to always use that setting, but I would recommend not using the setting even if you are using warm white LEDs.  This is because of the dimming curve that all LEDs have, they stay almost full bright through the intensity settings and then fall off rapidly near the end. So if you set an LED to 25% brightness in the Sequence Editor, you will get an intensity that is much brighter than 25% when played on your actual LED.

It is all a bit hard to explain, but in summary, even if you have "warm white" LEDs you will not see the pinkish color when played to your RGB lights due to the dimming curve that all LEDs have. Many people don't believe me and are really surprised when they don't see the pink color on their lights. But I put the "Export Raw Color Values" setting in there for those that really want the raw color values.

Noticed the same thing in visualizer and removed all the pink cells by hand. After forgetting a few and playing it back live, I realized that it was really a white value. Learned the hard way I guess.

The effects still look awesome.