Light-O-Rama Forums

Instant Sequencing my regular (non CCR) channels - help

utb ghost

I know I played with it a few months back. My question is, what type of "logic" does it follow. I'm about to rearrange my channels by controllers as I expand and reorganize my display a bit. I also want to add many songs I will not have time to sequence.

Is there any best way to layout the channels by controllers which will instant sequence best? Does it try to sequence in a particular pattern of my channels? Will it instant sequence better using visualizer? Does it help if I have my colors of lights identified on the channels? Just trying to figure out best way to group my channels for instant sequencing.

It sounds like you have been using the "Quick Visualization" feature to do Instant Sequence on your lights. When it creates a "quick visualization" it lays your 16 channel controllers onto sequencing rows. The sequencing rows default to being 50 squares wide, and so it puts 3 controllers on a row.

Instant Sequence looks at the number of rows and assigns a frequency range to each row.

Instant sequence places effects onto each sequencing row, it ends up creating patterns on that row that get triggered by the range of frequencies for that row.

So if you continue to use a "Quick Visualization" then the sequences will look best if you assign all the lights that are in a row on your house to the same controller.

For an even better Instant Sequence, create a Visualization of your light display. Then import the visualization into SuperStar. Then SuperStar will use the color information in the visualization and the location of the lights to create colored patterns on rows of lights in your display. For a quick tutorial on how to create a visualization do the following:

go to the lightorama main page

click on Support, then click on Video Tutorials

The SuperStar tutorials are at the bottom, look for the one titled: Creating a Visualizer Visualizations for SuperStar

Thanks Brian. Been a while since I had viewed the tutorial and I remembered when I played the Instant sequences had these very long patterns. I probably had in my head the fact Visualizer would utilize my setup and light colors better. Appreciate the confirmation.

In the end, I really don't have to rearrange any of my channels to get a better fit for instant sequencing if I create my own visualization which I will be doing. I'll probably take the time though to do that for future ease of my own sequencing. I guess that means a lot of cut and paste on my older 15 sequences, but it's time to get rolling.

A quick last question - would you sell the star lights for the 6 channel star separately? I'm using one of the aluminum tube designs discussed elsewhere for my 12 ccr tree and star, but the light pattern is the same.

As you say, if you make a visualization of your display then you do not need to rearrange any of your channels.

I don't believe you should have to do any cut and paste on your older 15 sequences. You should only have to do that if your display fundamentally changed. Even if you rearrange the channels you should not have to do and cut and paste on your old sequences.

As for the 6 sets of lights for the star, yes I can sell them separately. The cost is $95 plus $15 shipping and handling for a total of $110. If you are interested, give me an email address and I can email an invoice to you from PayPal.

• Like 1

If I might add taking the time to  a Create a Visualizer is worth the effort if you plan on using the SS instant sequence.  The thought of doing one seemed overwhelming to me at first but  after watching the tutorial and playing with it a few minutes it was easy doing but very time consumming to get it finished.  But I have over 300 channels so I had a lot of them to do.  

A couple of hints a fixture might be your lights around your left bush.  And if you have 3 colors on the bush you will include them all on that fixture.  Now if you have a mega tree each strand in it will be a fixture.  When you have all them listed you can then create a prop called Mega Tree and you will list all of your (fixtures) stands in that.  That way it knows all of those strands work together when creating a sequence.  Try to group as many things as you can into props that you want to be sequenced as a group.  For instance, spiral tree, Holdman tree line,  house windows, spinners, ect.   When you are done getting everything down make sure you export those props to a saved file.  The best benefit to that is you can now create a new visualizer, import say your Mega tree,  make it larger, save the file, then when you to to SS you can open just that file to instant sequence and work on just that part of it.  The benefit to doing that is when I take my whole visualization  into SS  I end up with 9 lines(or Ribbons) and have 4 TCM's to play with and all the choices you have to make with color and movement and effects and the timings  that I wasn't sure what I was changing or exactly what the differences were and there was some parts I like while not others.  Now I use just my Holdman tree line visualization file and its like one line (ribbon),  and one TCM.  Now I can get a better feel for what each theme, color and movement does and see how changing the sensitivity and lenght of effects in the timing map changes things.  I found there is a big change in sensitivity going from 5 to 6, for example more lights being turned on at one time.  Think of length of effect as almost the speed of the effect.  If your going to sweep the lights across your yard then a higher number will make them sweep slower and a lower number faster.  I think the lower number tends to look blinky.   

If you want I can send you a copy of my tree line visualizer file and then you can inport it into SS and play with it and see what I mean.  Hope it helps.

• Like 1

overeazy - thanks for the insight. I have decided not to adjust my lights to controller setup this year. That will create a extra work this year especially if I instant sequence quite a few songs this year - but so be it. I have a plateful of work today and time is ticking. I will email you and please do send me a copy of the tree line visualizer to play with and educate myself a bit more. Thanks