Light-O-Rama Forums

New 2013 Project. 8ft Box Christmas Tree

gtoyeah

Before I start. Yes I know Pixels may be easier. Im not yet there. Someday.

Here is another new addition to our Christmas light show computer programmed using Light O Rama or LOR. They a single c9 Christmas lights. The box tree stands 8 foot tall. The front of the tree is acrylic clear plastic. I applied a small coat of white spry paint on top of the plastic.  All of the wires are custom made using spt-1 wire which are hidden within the tree. The plugs all come out the back side in one central spot. Currently you only see about 14 channels. I have a star that I am placing on top of this tree as well. Same look and feel. I have toyed with the idea of adding some C9 bulbs on the outside.
For more updates and videos please check out the website or Facebook page. While you are there don't forget to "like" us.
www.RunyanLights.com

http://youtu.be/QUON9mhdddQ

• Like 1

Before I start. Yes I know Pixels may be easier. Im not yet there. Someday.

Here is another new addition to our Christmas light show computer programmed using Light O Rama or LOR. They a single c9 Christmas lights. The box tree stands 8 foot tall. The front of the tree is acrylic clear plastic. I applied a small coat of white spry paint on top of the plastic.  All of the wires are custom made using spt-1 wire which are hidden within the tree. The plugs all come out the back side in one central spot. Currently you only see about 14 channels. I have a star that I am placing on top of this tree as well. Same look and feel. I have toyed with the idea of adding some C9 bulbs on the outside.

For more updates and videos please check out the website or Facebook page. While you are there don't forget to "like" us.

www.RunyanLights.com

http://youtu.be/QUON9mhdddQ

do you have a "how to" on this project?

Lol. Almost. I took photos during the build process. I'll put something together and upload it.

• Like 1

Awesome, cool tree!    Love it!  Also like it much better than the basic "Mega Tree".    Very, very nice.   Would love to do one in purple and orange LED's for Halloween use too!

Thanks everyone. I just tested it out last night. From my the top of my driveway to across the street it looks great. This was designed to fold up and store away. Space is limited so being about to take it apart was pretty important. I'm site there are other ways to design / build but this worked for me.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I just tested it out last night. From my the top of my driveway to across the street it looks great. This was designed to fold up and store away. Space is limited so being about to take it apart was pretty important. I'm site there are other ways to design / build but this worked for me.

need a how to on this guy, could be a good addition for 2014

Just thought I'd mention that " PIXEL"S MIGHT HAVE BEEN EASIER" :ph34r:   LOL   Sorry had to say it cuz of your first post, Just couldn't help myself...........Looks great I can't wait to see the How to

Just thought I'd mention that " PIXEL"S MIGHT HAVE BEEN EASIER" :ph34r:   LOL   Sorry had to say it cuz of your first post, Just couldn't help myself...........Looks great I can't wait to see the How to

I agree with you ,,,,however this just shows you another way of making some cool effects without using pixels. I think if I had extra channels I would make something like it. I think something like this would work great for say some coro candy canes

Edited by james campbell

james- so I looked up some coro candy canes. WOW I have never seen these. Very good job. Just the design of the candy cane is pretty impressive too.

http://vimeo.com/59033210

I would like to take credit for those not mine thought,,those are the same ones that I saw. Maybe next year I will make a version using your idea for the tree

Next year!?!?!? I have 1 extra 16 channel controller I was wondering what to do with. Not anymore. Love the candy canes. I'm thinking 4 of them at 4 foot tall!

I would like to take credit for those not mine thought,,those are the same ones that I saw. Maybe next year I will make a version using your idea for the tree

Next year!?!?!? I have 1 extra 16 channel controller I was wondering what to do with. Not anymore. Love the candy canes. I'm thinking 4 of them at 4 foot tall!

Just so you guys know, the Coro Canes have 16 chambers.

If you're thinking of doing them without using Pixels, and/or planning to have individual control over each light chamber, you're going to eat up a bunch of channels on the process. If you're just planning on 1 channel per color used, ie. 4 channels per cane, that won't be so bad.

Just a thought.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Just so you guys know, the Coro Canes have 16 chambers.

If you're thinking of doing them without using Pixels, and/or planning to have individual control over each light chamber, you're going to eat up a bunch of channels on the process. If you're just planning on 1 channel per color used, ie. 4 channels per cane, that won't be so bad.

Just a thought.

your right for sure won't be using 16 channels per cane,,,,however it would be easy to do 4 to 8 per cane and just repeat channel per cane,and make them big for more effect

Ok..... I don't have any Rgb but now after seeing the candy canes I want 1. Well, 2. I know nothing about Rgb and how to hook it up to my 13 controllers. If someone is willing. Could you answer a few questions;

1. Is it really hard to add these to my 16 channel boxes?

2. Can I add more then the 16 channels to go all the way up? ( I want my candycane to be about 10-14 foot tall.

3. I saw in the Hoildaycoro website I can add 1 tiny pix controller. Why is it called a "tiny"? I want to go big!! Does the "tiny" mean that it's limited to 16 channels?

I know what some are saying "search"!!! And for that I say I'm sorry.

-Travis

Your regular controllers will not work with that. The Tinypix controller will handle 170 pixels, 510 channels or 1 DMX universe. Tiny is because you can fit it in a 2" PVC. Do some studying up on DMX and pixels. With one Tinypix controller you can, in theory, run 10 of the Corocanes for about$200. There are other factors involved though, power injection, length and gauge of wiring, distance between, etc. Do some studying. There are a few threads on the corocanes alone.

Edited by Ron Boyd