Light-O-Rama Forums

Reindeer silhouettes

Nebey

I am trying to figure out how to create some 2d reindeer silhouettes. I don't want to use wood, wire outlines would be too flimsy. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions. I was thinking of using metal electrical conduit and bending it to shape, then wrapping in lights. It just seems to be a monumental task bending all that pipe. When done I want them to jump across my lawn (or well appear too).

Edited by Nebey

Search the forum for "leaping deer". You will find a thread where someone is doing close to what you are talking about. Those are wire frames. Wire frames really are quite sturdy if the wire is thick enough.

Doug from wire frame delites is on this forum. You might want to check out his website to see if he has any deer that would meet your needs.

http://www.wireframedlites.com

Edited by LORi P

Thanks guys, I guess what I am looking for is more "how to make the wire form" rather than how to suspend it, or where to buy it.  I do appreciate the links you gave me, gave me some more ideas.  I want to make the deer, but I also want to make some other forms as well for Halloween.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on my wire frame deer as we speak. I had a little trouble keeping the wire in the correct shape due to the weight of the rope lights I'm using. So my solution was to use some old garden fencing and attach the wire frames to those to keep them in place. I also found that doubling the wire helps a lot in forming these deer sculptures.

Best of luck,

JF1993

• 2 weeks later...

I use EMT (metal electrical conduit) for a variety of things.  Its cheap and fairly stout.  The problem is the bending radius. The smallest EMT is 1/2" and has about a 5"  90 degree bending radius.  How large and  intricate are the silhouettes?

I use EMT (metal electrical conduit) for a variety of things.  Its cheap and fairly stout.  The problem is the bending radius. The smallest EMT is 1/2" and has about a 5"  90 degree bending radius.  How large and  intricate are the silhouettes?

I was thinking about maybe a 3" 180 bend. My brother in law suggested using the plastic conduit since its easier to bend with heat. I might give that a try..

My biggest complaint with PVC is it tends to sag with any distance.  I wonder if you could use say 1/4" or 3/8" copper (or other metal)  tubing for the tight bends and sleeve it into 1/2" emt for the longer runs.