Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Faces

frenchy1

I have been doing LOR for about 4 years getting a little older and slower (77 now)  is there anyone out there that has any type of kit for singing faces? 

I am looking into building talking pumpkins right now what all do you have into the RGB singing pumpkin as opposed to for example I have priced rope lights and a second controller looking at 600 bucks and that's not even using LED Rope light. Johnfish I really like that RGB Pumpkin.

I have about 435 dollars invested at this point. Bellow is a break down. The only thing I didn't include was the LOR S3 software license. The controllers, cabling and weather proof boxes will all be reused in my Christmas display so it was a reasonable price to pay. I am not using a LOR controller. With this set up I can select any color and vary it during the song for any of 9 channels. the only thing that might bring the price down a little would be to replace the E682 controller with a Holiday Coro Acti-dongle. That would save around 60 dollars off my price. the E682 is way over kill for this application as I am only using 1 universe out of a possible 12. If you have any other questions please let me know.

John

Holiday Coro Pumpkin  $ 60

12 v RGB dumb node   $117  (39 cents each 300 needed)
12v350 w power sup     $33
E682 Controller Kit        $118  (pixel controller used as a 1.31 bridge, kit version requires soldering)

27 channel DMX cntrl    $57

gc1500 box                    $12

gc2000 box                    $10

4 conduct wire               $ 3      (32 cents/ft, used about 10 ft)

Additional items             $25     (network cabling, heat shrink wood and hardware to build the frame)

Oh and BTW you don't need 300 rgb nodes. The pumpkin uses about 280. (if you buy the pumpkin make sure to verify that with holiday coro)

I needed the extra nodes for another project. So that would reduce the price a little further.

John

Here is a video of my rope light pumpkin face. it is just plain incandescent rope lights. I think the key with faces is that lip movements are good and synced. 

The frame of the pumpkin is from http://www.wireframedlites.com/  it is the standard jack-o-lantern. The rope lights I got at 1000bulbs.com 150ft roll was like 80 bucks and I used white zip ties to fasten the lights to the frame.

this next video has a face I made on peg board with rope lights from scratch. I still need to paint the pegboard flat black to reduce the reflection from the wood but I am pleased with the result. 

• 4 months later...