Light-O-Rama Forums

First time

garygoldsmith

So I want to give light-o-rama a try. can you do much at all with a single 16 channel controller

if you have an acre lot.. not really lol..

with LED's you can do quite a bit if you dont mind some props/fixtures activated at the same time as others

Everybody starts with at least 1, get your feet wet, learn to sequence, and build from there. Welcome to the addiction.

• Like 1

Everybody starts with at least 1, get your feet wet, learn to sequence, and build from there. Welcome to the addiction.

Yep, you can get started with 16, but I promise that you'll want to double or triple it by the time lighting season gets here. It's never too early to start, and it's actually pretty late (in my opinion) considering that you're starting from scratch. I'd download the software and begin sequencing at once. You're gonna love the feeling that seeing all that work in lights gives you!

D.T.

do a display if you can only get one controller,,,go for it and learn ho this all works. but beware you may end up with more this year

So I want to give light-o-rama a try. can you do much at all with a single 16 channel controller

it is all in what you are gonna use for props and how things will be spaced out, there are a ton of 16 channel sequences out there.  You have lots of options.

just member if you do chose to use outside sequences set your display up as close to the channel configuration in the most of the sequences you plan to use. it will save you time in the long run. now im happy got my 2 cents worth in but most of all have fun with it

• Like 1

If you do nothing else, set up your display as normal with most elements static.  Then put up a 16 channel Mega Tree in the center of the display and animate just that.  Use 3 channels for a tree topper, and 12 channels for the stings coming down.  Then if you have the means purchase a strings worth of strobes for the last channel.  You can have tons of fun with just a mega tree.  It will also be easier to sequence that for your first year.

http://sdrv.ms/18X2PW1

Here's a pic of my display from last year (My first year).  I thought I was going to start with just 16 channels.  (Ended up with 64).  But for two years previous I used a Mr. Christmas which only had 6 channels.  I used 3 way splitters and extension cords to route power to different elements all over the house and yard.  People stopped and stared and praised the display.  Many didn't know there were only 6 channels.  They also loved the dinging electronically generated music that accompanies a Mr. Christmas.

Long story short, no matter what you do, people will love it.  And you will too.

(If you were not aware, a mega tree is the large tree with star in the center of my display)

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Welcome to the addiction !!!

One thing you will need to know, is that the mp3's you use for the sequence music, MUST be 'CBR" (Constant Bit Rate), there are links in the forums for how to convert non-CBR mp3's to CBR versions.

My first sequence I tried, was with a non-CBR, things didn't go very well until I found out about the CBR stuff, "Audacity" (an Mp3 program) is what I think most of us use to do CBR conversions.

Another thing is a leveling program someone posted (can't remember the user at the moment), it will make all the mp3's you use in a show the same volume, so people don;t get "basted" by one, and quiet on another. leveling program is called "mp3gain" you can search the forums for the link.

Greg Manning

Edit >

One of the links to the Gain program >

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/25117-audio-output-level-software/?hl=mp3gain#entry235884

Greg.

Edited by a31ford

Welcome!

To answer from my point of view.....16 channels is GREAT to get in the hobby and be able to manage it all including learning visualizer, the sequencer, etc.

You will then see how you like it and will also spend your next $$$ more wisely because you have learned.

Many of us started out on those Mr. Christmas boxes so 16 channels is not a bad place to start! And there are a lot of sequences out there that will\work fine for you.

Remember to group stuff........

• Like 1

I started with 1 controller last year and with being creative you can make a pretty great show. If its all you have the $$ for then the best advice I can give is not to get discouraged watching all these shows where people have invested years and tens of thousands of $$. 

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. I used 16 last year and followed the advice to group lights together.  I think in some cases, I had as many as 3 props on one channel.  Most viewers didn't even notice that and I know our family was pleased with results.  Also, made sequencing easier to learn that first year.

I started with 16 channels last year in September, and by all intensive purposes I started way too late. I managed with some creativity to throw together a somewhat decent show. About 30 people showed up for opening night and they all seemed to enjoy it. To be honest if you're going to do this, I wouldn't waste any more time. Had I put more time into the show it would have been spectacular considering most people in neighborhoods throw up a few sets of lights and call it a day. A 16 channel controller can be amazing to watch for most people even if its done half-assed in three months by a rookie like me. 

This is three months of effort never having worked with Light O Rama software. I used 1 CTB16 controller and the Advanced Light O Rama software package.
I managed to throw together 13 songs, build 4 window boxes, and 6 mini trees. As you can see in this video ( Sorry for poor quality) I was controlling Icicle lights on the roof. I had each window box set up with red, blue and green lights, 6 mini trees with various colors, and 12 candy canes. If you're creative enough you can stretch 16 channels to do way more than I did. For instance I only used 6 channels for 12 candy canes. Candy cane 1 and 12 were on one channel as well as 2 and 11 etc. 

http://youtu.be/uYDRyFTvBFE

Haha, and I just now realize that I've already posted on this topic before. 

Edited by m1ke05
  • Like 1

Sure can. 16 channel is a good way to start. Just get some reg. flood lights in what ever color you desire, some tomato cages and pop them upside dowm and wrap lights around them and that should give you a great start.

Here are a few of my first year 16 channel videos'

Mike, Great work !!! (see the Utube side of things also..)

Greg

I started with 16 channels last year in September, and by all intensive purposes I started way too late. I managed with some creativity to throw together a somewhat decent show. About 30 people showed up for opening night and they all seemed to enjoy it. To be honest if you're going to do this, I wouldn't waste any more time. Had I put more time into the show it would have been spectacular considering most people in neighborhoods throw up a few sets of lights and call it a day. A 16 channel controller can be amazing to watch for most people even if its done half-assed in three months by a rookie like me. 

This is three months of effort never having worked with Light O Rama software. I used 1 CTB16 controller and the Advanced Light O Rama software package.
I managed to throw together 13 songs, build 4 window boxes, and 6 mini trees. As you can see in this video ( Sorry for poor quality) I was controlling Icicle lights on the roof. I had each window box set up with red, blue and green lights, 6 mini trees with various colors, and 12 candy canes. If you're creative enough you can stretch 16 channels to do way more than I did. For instance I only used 6 channels for 12 candy canes. Candy cane 1 and 12 were on one channel as well as 2 and 11 etc. 

http://youtu.be/uYDRyFTvBFE

Haha, and I just now realize that I've already posted on this topic before. 

Mike, Great work !!! (see the Utube side of things also..)

Greg

Thank you Greg. I promise tho, this year will be much improved

Gary, the answer is yes.  This is my 2nd year with LOR.  I too started with Mr. Christmas 3 years ago, and the neighbors thought it was cool... Then my wife started looking online at christmas lights shows, and said "I WANT THOSE ARCH THINGS"... ;)   So after tons of research, it appeared that LOR was the main tool of choice.  I purchased 2 controllers.  One for the arches, and one for the other lights.  Being creative, I found a way to control all of the lights, outside of the arches with 16 channels.  Some was by using the "stacking" method, as mentioned above.  (FYI, There was a really good article from another popular christmas site, in the July 2012 issue of their mag which talked about this exact thing.)  As long as you don't exceed the amp load for each channel, you should be fine.  Best thing to do is try it and see. If you use the visulizer component, it will give you a good idea of what to expect. 

And with a lot of help from this forum, I managed to have a good show which the neighbors thought was "wow",,, well, except for the loud music... (note to self... FM transmitter..).

Seriously, look at some of the sequences available here and other sites, and then make it yours.  You will learn over time. Remember.   

I am now at 64 channels as the wife wanted 2 more arches .... and of course more of everything else... :D

Good luck... It IS addictive...