Light-O-Rama Forums

27 Channel DMX Board question

RoboticBrad

I know this question isn't directly related to LOR, but indirectly since I will be running it on LOR software. I'm purchasing a 27 channel dmx board for use with my mini trees and rgb light nodes. I'm curious about powering them and whether or not the controller can handle it. This is the controller...  http://www.holidaycoro.com/27-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/24.htm?Click=700 and these are the light nodes... http://www.holidaycoro.com/RGB-8mm-LED-Waterproof-Node-12v-p/58.htm?Click=700

I'm puzzled because on the controller page there's a video showing that 50 light nodes all lit white will run approximately 2.6 amps, so running 9 strings (all 27 channels) each 50 light nodes long would in theory be about 23.4 amps total. The specs on the board says 15 amps is the max, so then how is this video... http://youtu.be/5fMXZsO6PIg  possible without overloading the controller?

I plan on having 9 mini trees each with 40-50 rgb nodes and I don't want to overload the controller, I know I can buy another 27 channel dmx board and have 5 on 1 and 4 on the other, but I'm trying to save every penny I can, and if it's working in this video, wouldn't it work for me?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, I'm just getting into all this for my first year and have lots to learn. Thanks for your time.

Quick math says you can run 28 nodes per tree and be safe.

Or a heavier duty 60 channel board, where you could spread your load out.

Or a 48 channel board, which might work for you.

Do your magic math and see what works best.

Edited by Ken Benedict

That's the same calculation I came up with but how often are you going to run all white?

Probably not running all white for long, but I'm just not sure how that works... If that puts me over on amps then what happens with the board? I guess I just need to order another 27 channel board. Thanks Ken for the other links but I could buy nearly 5 of these 27 channel boards for the price of the 48 channel board.

I like the 27ch board because the 9 RGB groups from a single small board, but unfortunately it's not very powerful at 15amps. Trying to run 9 50-node strings or 9 5m strips will not work. I use them for smaller lightning options. Go with Ken's suggestion or LOR now has a 8 RGB 60amp board.

I think I've decided to split the load between 2 of the 27 channel controllers. I agree with you that 9 50 node strings will not do. They're just mini trees, but still better safe than sorry. Thanks for the advice!

A 50 node string draws what.... .02amps x 150 LEDs = 3 amps.  That is about 1 amp per color when on full white.  If you modify the power lands on the PCB with a piece of solder braid and some solder you should be able to drive that without issue.. (there is a thread about that mod here somewhere)  Just a thought..

Then again, 2 of the controllers is only an added cost of less then $100 when you figure in the enclosure and connectors and so on.. so it is not "that expensive"... and you would have a back up should you need it. 

• 2 weeks later...

The 27 channel controller has actually been tested to double the 15amp limit and worked fine.  The limit is on the traces of the reverse side of the board.  We list 15amp as a limit because we want to allow "head room" for customers that may overload past the 15amp limit.  As others have mentioned, these limits are also at full on white output, so it's very unlikely that you are running the trees in white for tens of minutes at a time.  If you want to be "safe", I would run them at 15amp.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

the board is capable of handling 1 amp per channel, so 27 amp is the utimate max.

but you have to upgrade the traces with some copper wire

see for a picture    http://www.fotodick.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2076

scrol down fot the picture, espescially the trace with the arrow pointed at is important, it is the narrowest one.

With the copper wire you reduce the resistance  of the traces, thus the voltage drop on the printerd wire board.

Dick

The Netherlands

Thanks for that tip Dick!  I have one of those controllers but not using it yet.  However I will keep that in mind when I do.

I couldn't read a word of that page, but the picture told it all.

• The topic was locked