Light-O-Rama Forums

DC board in standalone without using switch?

christmas chris

I plan on using my 16 channel DC board for a train in my display. I want to save the sequence to it, and run it in standalone mode, but the manual only lists using a switch or run at power on as options for starting the sequence. Surely this board can be programmed to start at a certain time? I don't want to have to go out in the yard at 6 every night and push a switch. It will have batteries on board.

The DC board does not have a clock inside it, so it can't be programmed for start and stop times.

If you already have a LOR display, why not control the DC board that way?

What type of power does the train need?

Or does your train contain it's own lighting display?

Edited by Ken Benedict

Train will be battery powered and moving.

Seems like LOR should have put a clock on that board. Would open a lot of possibilities for it. Can load a sequence to run on it's own, but can't start on it's own....

Am sure they would like to sell me a light linker set for it.

Guess I will have to figure out a way to switch it on remotely.

Likely no real time clock on the DC board because a high percentage of people do not need it.

How are you starting the train?  Are you powering the LOR board from train power or on stand alone batteries?  I have a couple ideas with various assumptions made (and stated):

Assuming that the power to the train is coming from the track and that in turn is controlled by a timer external to the layout, and the LOR board is powered locally by battery.  You could detect track power to control a relay that closes a contact to either connect the battery to the LOR board and the board is programmed to start the show on powerup, or the relay contact closure triggers the input on the board to start the show.

Oh, I see that the train will be battery powered.  I guess that gets back to the "how are you starting the train" question.

The rest of these assume that both the train and LOR show are powered from batteries on board the train.  It should not matter if it's the same battery, or separate batteries from the train and the light show.  Generally I would recommend separate batteries.

You could use a photocell to detect dark and use that to trigger an input on the DC card.

You could detect power to the locomotive motor and use that to key a relay that triggers an input on the DC card.

BTW, what size is the train?  I assume that if you can fit a LOR DC board on board, it's not Z, HO, G or O gauge!

• The topic was locked