Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Using a Dongle

Mr Sir

Baffled? i am running LOR controllers with a RS485 interface along with an ENTTEC Pro for running some DMX devices as well. The DMX devices work while running the Squence Editor only if the LOR side in the "Network preferences" tab is set to "none". Otherwise, there is no response to the DMX devices with the Sequence Editor. Listener runs ok in ether serario  Note: I did see a red box in the lower right corner of the editor  "Com Error" (no other details)

Bob,  Thanks for the input. the Hardware utility only works for the LOR controllers when the network utility (LOR Tab) has a port associated with the 485 Adaptor, anything else creates a port conflict.

Dennis, here are the setting pic's

thanks guys..

post-12493-0-55872100-1371181984_thumb.j

post-12493-0-69365700-1371181985_thumb.j

post-12493-0-63774600-1371181987_thumb.j

post-12493-0-59342000-1371181988_thumb.j

post-12493-0-28212400-1371181989_thumb.j

post-12493-0-44582400-1371183310_thumb.j

Edited by Mr Sir

Is that port that you're using for your LOR network correct? COM4? Can you control lights with the Hardware Utility when it is set to use that port? I know you said "Hardware utility only works for the LOR controllers when the network utility (LOR Tab) has a port associated with the 485 Adaptor, anything else creates a port conflict", but I want to explicitly be sure: Did you attempt to control the lights using the Hardware Utility? While it was set to that port? If so, did it successfully control the lights?

Also, I notice that you have "Use compatibility mode for old MC-P channel controllers" checked. Do you in fact have old MC-P controllers? I think this is a pretty uncommon thing nowadays - you should only have this checked if you have MC-P controllers that were purchased before November 15, 2003.

• 3 weeks later...

Bob, thanks for your input,  COM 4 is set for the LOR RS232 Adaptor and it works fine with the Hardware Utility (as COM4 only and with the LOR tab as COM4 in the network utility) and with my (5) LOR controllers attached, the lights work fine. Works with the Sequence Editor too (Box in the lower right is blue Com: good) and if I do not run the Listener.

If I do start the listener then the Sequence Editor the box in the lower right is red Com: error and there is no DMX output and no lights output from the controller. The ONLY scenario for DMX output is when the  LOR tab is "None" in the network utility, the listener is running and the box in the lower right of theSequence Editor is orange: no comm port set).

Regards,

Paul

COM 3 is set for the ENTTEC Pro Adaptor, as for the Listener program, I start it with the control panel and then click "ok" when the butrton appears in thr screen. the Listener appears on the tray at the bottom of the screen. see shot #2 in the pic's

Thanks

Are the lines for the two adapters running near each other? Maybe try isolating them further? Maybe try different USB ports?

Also, I just happened to notice that you are using version 3.5.0.  You should probably consider upgrading to at least 3.5.2 (which would be a free upgrade even if your license maxes out at 3.5).  Version 3.5.0 had a bug which caused a memory leak during shows in some cases.

To be clear, I seriously doubt that this has anything to do with the problem you're currently facing, but it might be a good idea anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I dont want to beat this dying horse intirely to death, good sugestions anyway. However, Iv'e have come quite a ways with DMX and LOR enough to benchmark what works but the S3 software is kicking my butt. In a nutshell (Iv'e covered the perticulars) how can the Sequencer run a show off a PC with (1) RS485 adaptor COMM4 connected to (6) LOR Controllers AND (1) ENTTEC Pro adaptor COMM3 connected to (4) DMX devices?  As is, only the Controllers OR the DMX Devices work. 

Does S3 v3.5.0 only work ether/or or both ? 

• The topic was locked