Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BryanV1

[CLOSED] VB02 Error savcing file

Report Number: VB02

Module:Sequence Editor

Software Version: 3.10

OS Version: Windows 7 Home Premium  64 bit

Description:when attempting to save a large file (509 MB) for the second time I got an error Saying  Error Saving File... do you want to try to save to another file name?  Detail: Invalid procedure call or argument.  When I click on the yes it opens a window to enter the new file name, after entering a new name then click on save nothing happens.  If I select one of the file names listed (other than the files present name) it starts to save the file to that name but eventually I got the same error as above.

Repeatability: Have not been able to reproduce the problem as yet.

There are a few different ways to save a file.  Do you remember how you did it? Here are the options:

• File menu / Save
  • File menu / Save As
  • Toolbar's Save button
  • Closing a sequence with unsaved changes will ask you if you want to save first
  • Closing the Sequence Editor while a sequence with unsaved changes is open will ask you if you want to save first

Thanks.

A couple more questions:

(1) Was it a musical sequence or an animation sequence?

(2) Did you at any point get a message about the version of software used to previously save the sequence?

OK, I suspect that this is actually a longstanding issue, rather than something new to the beta.  In the past, we've seen in rare cases a similar "invalid procedure call or argument" error when attempting to save a sequence.  We have never been able to reproduce the issue ourselves, but I believe it has to do with a certain standard Microsoft library (perhaps related to how it is installed on the machine).  I have just made a change so that we no longer rely upon that standard Microsoft library when attempting to save.

So, hopefully, starting with the next release, this problem will no longer occur.  Until then, though, here's a workaround that has helped some (but not all) people who have had this issue in the past:

(1) Stop all running programs, including LOR programs.

(2) Open up a command prompt window.  You can typically find the icon to start one up under the "Accessories" menu of your computer's Start menu.

If you are running an operating system where it matters, do so "as administrator" - that is, instead of starting the command prompt window by double-clicking on the command prompt icon, right-click on the icon, and select "Run as Administrator" from the popup menu.

(3) in the command prompt window that opens up, type the following two lines:

cd c:\windows\system32

regsvr32 scrrun.dll

Please note the following about those two lines:

A. There is a space on the first line between "cd" and "c:\windows\system32".

B. There is a space on the second line between "regsvr32" and "scrrun.dll".

C. There are no other spaces anywhere else on either line.

D. The slashes in the first line are backslashes ("\"), not forward slashes ("/").

After typing those two lines, a message box should pop open, saying something like "RegisterDllServer32 in scrrun.dll succeeded".  I'm not sure if that's the exact phrasing, but it should definitely say "succeeded" or "successful" or something like that.  If it does not, please let me know exactly what it says, word for word, in full.

After that, open up the Sequence Editor and try again.

I followed the instructions above and got the succeeded message.  However, after opening LOR sequence editor and the file I ran it and viewed the animation.  After that I attempted to save the file and got the same error.  I also noted that the file is overloading animation.

What do you mean "overloading animation"?

The song keeps playing but the animation first starts skipping data then eventually it just stops and the music continues on.  After that I am unable to save the sequence.

Closing this due to confirmation that it was fixed in 3.10.2 from another user in this other thread.  BryanV1 (or anybody else who had the problem), if it doesn't work for you, please let us know.  Thanks.