Light-O-Rama Forums

Leaping Deer Project

JF1993

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a really cool project for this winter, but I could use some insight on this idea. I want to make an animated leaping deer that has 6 lighted deer frames facing right and 6 facing left. In order to accomplish such a task I will probably be using some steel cable to hold the shape of the deer and then use some rope lights zip tied to the frames. My question is how to ensure the frames won't flip over. I have a picture at the bottom of my idea, but the deer in the picture only face one direction. Last year at Brookfield Zoo in the Chicago suburbs they had a Christmas light show sort of event at night. In their light show they had leaping tiger frames and other animals. I inspected how they had this set up and they had each frame on a single post. In the photo below the deer are mounted to an arch. I was wondering how I should mount my animated deer. I might even be able to tie them to the house somehow, but I'm looking for a professional opinion on this project. Anyone ever try to make something like this before? If so what would you recommend in this case.

Thanks for reading this post and please leave any suggestions below

SSWW-14.jpg

• Like 1

that looks cool as all --- but not easy or cheapif you want to go the see tru route 3/16 or 1/4 cold roll frame and mini light clips backed up by hot glue.or the non see tru route with black cardo plastic drill or punch holes for the lights hiding the wires on the back side just my idea of how to

If you have a greenhouse supply shop in your area (The commercial Greenhouse type, not hobby houses) see if you can buy some "Hoops" for a "Hoop House" also known as a "cold fame".  It's usually 1.5"-2.0" galvanized steel tubing bent into arches.  You can get just about any size span to fit your needs.  Just drill the tubing to fit your fasteners, such as 1/4-20 carriage bolts, and attach your frames to it.  Just remember, don't go crazy on the holes through the pipe.  Too many holes makes too many weak spots.  A guywire from the middle of the span might not be a bad idea too. 

If your going over a road or drive way, you will need to make and arch. You can guy wire it front and back on both sides to ensure it doesn't fall. You will need to make and arch our of steel rod or something else strong enough to hold up.

If just in the yard and then you can use the pole idea for each one, but you would probably still want to use guy wires.

If you use wire frames you can put lights on both sides or on the outer portion of the frame so you see the lights from both sides.

I like that look. I may have to build one for my yard.

Thanks for all the input. I originally saw something like this in East Peoria's Festival of Lights. I think the individual poles might work, but I would also want to mix a bucket of concrete at the base of each post so that they won't flip over or anything. I might also try using some kind of industrial wire to brace the posts as well. I know PVC pipe isn't expensive and that would probably work. Otherwise I actually do have garden supply store that might have what you were talking about. The deer will be in the yard by the way. The trampoline frame might work as well, but I'm not sure I will be able to find one before winter. 

I like that look. I may have to build one for my yard.

lol If only I had the time. Anyway thanks again everybody and good luck with the pre-planning of your shows.

I have a trampoline frame available, but I think Oregon might be too far for you.

yeah lol. Thanks anyway, I think I'm going with the individual posts idea for this project

I found a roll of thicker wire that I'm planning on using to hold the shape of the rope lights. I got it at a garage sale for $2. Time to get started on these deer!

• 1 month later...

Hey JF. I love your leaping deer, do you mind if I copy ?

Greg Manning

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a really cool project for this winter, but I could use some insight on this idea. I want to make an animated leaping deer that has 6 lighted deer frames facing right and 6 facing left. In order to accomplish such a task I will probably be using some steel cable to hold the shape of the deer and then use some rope lights zip tied to the frames. My question is how to ensure the frames won't flip over. I have a picture at the bottom of my idea, but the deer in the picture only face one direction. Last year at Brookfield Zoo in the Chicago suburbs they had a Christmas light show sort of event at night. In their light show they had leaping tiger frames and other animals. I inspected how they had this set up and they had each frame on a single post. In the photo below the deer are mounted to an arch. I was wondering how I should mount my animated deer. I might even be able to tie them to the house somehow, but I'm looking for a professional opinion on this project. Anyone ever try to make something like this before? If so what would you recommend in this case.

Thanks for reading this post and please leave any suggestions below

SSWW-14.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey JF. I love your leaping deer, do you mind if I copy ?

Greg Manning

Thanks, and go ahead I don't mind.

Just as an added update on this project, I have 3 reindeer constructed. I need a total of 12 leaping deer but 3 is a good start so far. What I've doing is mounting the clear rope light around a wire frame that I bent to form the shape of the deer. After I started my first deer I realized the lights, and wire didn't hold up on their own so I started mounting the lighted deer to a wire garden fence. The fence actually helps a lot in bracing the deer. I'm not sure how I'm going to have them out in the yard yet, but so far the project looks awesome. Pictures are on the way!

JF1993

JF, thank you, once (if ever) I get my version running, will post here (if you don't mind) .

I'm still in the "getting power to the location" point  (front yard is 300 some feet FROM the house) and would cross the driveway. so I have a long way to go (literally and figuratively). (this is why I'm controling 0 lights so far :(

Local utility is installing new pole, transformer, and 200 amp drop for my lights at the back of the front yard, should have live power there in about a month or so.........

Greg

• 3 months later...

JF, thank you, once (if ever) I get my version running, will post here (if you don't mind) .

I'm still in the "getting power to the location" point  (front yard is 300 some feet FROM the house) and would cross the driveway. so I have a long way to go (literally and figuratively). (this is why I'm controling 0 lights so far :(

Local utility is installing new pole, transformer, and 200 amp drop for my lights at the back of the front yard, should have live power there in about a month or so.........

Greg

Sorry I haven't been on the fourms in a long time now. Greg, I would love to see your leaping reindeer when you get them all up and running. I also want to wish you good luck on your lightshow. As a status update I've been stalling on this project, but so far I have 4 of the 12 total reindeer I need to make before the season starts. I should probably get back to programing as well considering I'm falling behind on this sort of thing. In the meantime I will have to get some photos of the reindeer I have so far, but they're starting to look awesome.

Jacob