Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 Configuration

JerryB

Not sure where my problem is so thought I would ask that someone take a look at the E682 configuration to see if I have it wrong :P

I currnetly have only 1 string with 150 2801 pixels on it plugged into cluster 1 plug 1

They work with the test pattern, Lor listener is running with the message "Connection accepted <372>" as the message.

I use a Holidaycoro Actidongle with the green light flashing, my understanding is that means the dongle is getting a valid DMX signal, the lights on the E682 connector are NOT  lit

Here is the configuration screen..

e682_zps21d4f4e4.gif

So does anyone see anything I need to change in the configuration .... or is the problem before the E682 ... and if so any idea where

Are you connecting the E682 to the Holiday Coro dongle?  Or is it connected to a netwrok switch?

Edited by Shubb

Your E682 board should connect straight to the Ethernet connector on your pc or a network switch. It should not be connected to an Actidongle.

Regards,

Alan.

Hmmm this may take a little thought, which with my work schedule isn't easy, by the end of the day my brain wants to shut down :0

My main computer that has LOR on it uses a wireless network connection, which according to the E682 manual would have to be deactivated. Kind of a pain to have to activate and deactivate the network to use the E682.

I got to the configuration screen by hooking the E682 to a second computer, but not one I want to use for the shows. That computer is a laptop that I dont have hooked to the network.

The other problem I have is I can't get to the configuration screen using the default ip address, I have to force it to the 169 ip address

looks like your using an IP range on the e682 that your router isn't in range of.  Reset it back to auto dhcp mode using the directions in the manual and report back. 

Or find the ip range of your network and change the ip to be static in that range.  I see and IP issue which will create LOR not to be able to talk to it.  As well you do have LOR on multicast and not IP specific unicast.  As the E682 firmware you are running is multicast only.

A great many of us over complicate that 1 step.

Also when you cant login is this when its directly to the pc or through a switch/router?

Edited by WilliamS

The problems all seem to actually be someplace in my main computer. Eventhough I don't want to run a show using my laptop (its older and a little limited in memory space) I went and loaded a copy of LOR on it.

Using the E682 configuration I posted the laptop will talk to the E682 and run the lights.

Still can not get the configuration program to come up unless I force the 169 address. When I get back from work I will have to explore that more.

The connection to the laptop is directly from the computer.

The error is in the network mode on the pasted screen.  I would start there.   Some network cards have an issue playing straight to the E68x series.  I do not know the rhyme or reason but some simply do not place nice.  A switch or router usually cleans up the mess as they will have a larger IP range as most computer NIC's upon start up decide what mode they will be in.  In its current mode try to power up the pc with it connected to the E682 then power up the e682 after windows is open.   There are hundreds of variables that can make this not work just to warn you.

I feel it is always better to use a network switch when connecting to the E682.  For whatever reason it connects smoother.

Plus, you need a switch for when you add another 1, or 2 or 6...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You may want to consider upgrading the firnware.  The new version 4 has a much nicer user interface, adds capacity, new modes such as Unicast E1.31 and Art-Net,  and adds several new features.  One new feature is the ability to force a range of over-rides on the IP address at startup, and should cover 99% of IP address ranges found on typical LANs.  Also it's now possible to read out the current IP address of the board using the LEDs, in order to find out the IP address of the board or verify that it's what you think it is.

My main computer that has LOR on it uses a wireless network connection, which according to the E682 manual would have to be deactivated. Kind of a pain to have to activate and deactivate the network to use the E682.

Wait...what?! I will have to not use wireless?

So no way to control the show from my iPad if I have a E682?  Is that true? :o

Depends on what operating system you are using.  Earlier verions of windows would require you to disable wireless while you are makeing a connection to the controller unless you add a 2nd network card.  Windows 7 allows both wired and wireless connections at the same time.

• 2 months later...

Add a static route.  

Here is what I did.  My home network is 192.168.x.x.  This is how I get on the internet.  

I added a second network card and gave it an ip 10.190.1.1.  This is my E1.31 network.  

My E1.31 has the ip of 10.190.1.206

So I have two networks on one computer how does my computer know which route send what traffic.  This is where static routes come into play.  

So I added a route Start\Run CMD

route add (destination IP) MASK (subnet Mask)  (Gateway) Metric (#)

so mine looked something like this.

route add 10.190.1.206 MASK 255.255.255.255 10.190.1.1 METRIC 1 -p

This will allow me to access my E1.31 webpage no matter which adapter connected first on bootup.  Now you have the issue of controlling a show which uses multicast so you need to add a static multicast  route so multicast traffic goes to your 10.190.x.x network.  

Route add 224.0.0.0 MASK 240.0.0.0 10.190.1.206 METRIC 1 -p

I will post a screen shot later.  

• 1 year later...

The other Item I did was to just give the Laptop/PC a Static Address. If you want it to still use wireless, do the IPCONFIG /All Command in a Command Prompt

Note the DNS Addresses and Gateway and base IP ... Configure the static with a different # but on the same network you want the E682 on. I had to configure my E682 for a 10.X network and statically assigned the address to the NIC in the computer.

Kip