Light-O-Rama Forums

Assigning Network for CCP

sharpsvillelights

Just got my first 4 CCP's. I did the Auto Configure in the Hardware utility using Comm 5 for one CCP at a time.  Each CCP was detected and then I changed the unit ID of that CCP to the desired controller number.  I did this for each CCP then did a refresh on Comm5 and all four CCP's were found.  I daisy chained the 4 CCP's with network cables and screwed the backs on the controllers.  Mission completed.

Then I hooked up one of my existing 22 LOR 1602 controllesr and did a refresh on Comm 5 it was not recognized by the Hardware utility.  Since this is the first time using multiple networks, I am assuming that Comm 5 is where all the LOR 1602's were defined.  I verified this in Sequence editor going to preferences, networks and saw the Comm 5 was assigned as the main network.

My Questions are:

- Is the default network in LOR hardware utility always Comm 5?

- When setting up the CCP's, should I have selected another comm port (like 3) when I set them up?

- What is the easiest way to bring back all 22 of the LOR 1602 contollers and still retain the 4 CCP's?

Note:  I want the 4 CCP's on an auxillary netword and the 1602 controllers on the main network.

Well, I figured out what I did.  I hav two USB 485B devices.   The older one I used for the 22 LOR controllers.   

When I configured the CCP's I plugged them into the newer USB485B and did the autoconfigure on Comm 5.  So now the newer USB485b sees this device as Comm5 and the older one see no Comm port.

So what is the easiest way of getting the newer USB485B assigned to Comm3 and associate each CCP to it and then get the older USB485b assigned to Comm 5 and associate each of the 22 LOR 1602's to it?

The later versions of the software has a Network Configuration program. You can use it to set/configure the networks.

• 3 months later...

I plan on using 3 Gen3 controllers and 6 CCP controllers this year and was hoping by using 500 speed that I could get away with using just one network. I have the latest version 3.10.6 Advanced.  Is this possible? Next year I know I'll have to add another network for the two more CCP controllers.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

• I just got my globe and started working on the CCD100 pixels. I used the hardware utility to configure. These two units will be on and Aux. network. I have built a test sequence for my globe and assigned the channels (Duel Normal) These controllers will be 7 and 8, but the id's will be 10,11,12,13as my prop also has those channels. When I try to run a sequence, I have a blue box in the lower right corner of my visualizer, sequence plays, but no lights. They do test in the hardware utility. Comm is set to 9 on the controller and sequence editor, But, I can't figure out why no lights. The control lights are checked in the sequence editor. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Don,or any of the great members,

A basic question. I will be running 8 1602 commercial grade controllers using every channel. This is 3 more than last year. In addition, I am adding 12 CCRs for a tree. I presume I should run at least one auxiliary network, correct?

And if only one is sufficient, would it be wise to run the 12 CCR's together and the 8 regular units together. I know they can mix in any fashion, so is it better to split 6 CCRs with some combination of the regular 1602 controllers, and 6 with the remaining 1602s.

It is my understanding that for best results, you'll want to run the CCRs at high speed and your 1602's at normal speed.  So combining CCRs with regular controllers probably not ideal.  Specs say you can run all 12 CCRs at high speed with new High Speed 485, but I believe Brian still recommends keeping at a max of 6 controllers per high speed 485.   So, you'd probably want to add 2 Aux networks.  This is the way I'm headed, but haven't run live yet.  Just last night I configured all 12 controllers and installed the latest firmware for them. 

Thanks Scott .....I was thinking along those lines. Thought perhaps 6 CCR's and a few 1602's on main network and 6 with the rest of the 1602's on an auxiliary, since this will be my first year using aux network I was hoping to keep it at two. I'd probably want a back up 485 anyway so I guess I'll order two high speed versions. I need to upgrade my software too - think I am only at 3.8

Thanks Scott .....I was thinking along those lines. Thought perhaps 6 CCR's and a few 1602's on main network and 6 with the rest of the 1602's on an auxiliary, since this will be my first year using aux network I was hoping to keep it at two. I'd probably want a back up 485 anyway so I guess I'll order two high speed versions. I need to upgrade my software too - think I am only at 3.8

Before getting a license upgrade, see this thread: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/27289-light-o-rama-version-3106/?p=260097

Thanks Ken.  I wish I'd looked into that myself.  Unfortunately, I upgraded my S3 software and THEN upgraded my Superstar from 4 to 24.   

• The topic was locked