Light-O-Rama Forums

Wrapping Columns

kryolla

I have 2 columns on my front porch that I would like to wrap. I dont know if I want it wrapped like a weber tree or more like an arch. What type of LED lights should I use and what spacing? Thanks

How big are your posts? AND you pretty much need to wrap like an arch, a spiral where you can not see the back of the spiral because the pole is solid, would defeat the purpose and lose some of it coolness...imho Also, look at what kind of lights you are using in the same vicinity, mini's, m5, c6, etc...

The posts are 2ft in circumference and 7ft tall. If im going to wrap them like an arch should I use c7 and wrap them loosely because if I wrap them tight that'll be a lot of lights. Thanka

The posts are 2ft in circumference and 7ft tall. If im going to wrap them like an arch should I use c7 and wrap them loosely because if I wrap them tight that'll be a lot of lights. Thanka

look at the effect, I tried loosely on my fire sticks but from a distance I just didn't like the look.  My thought would be to wrap one loose and one tight then light them up one evening and decide for yourself.  Stand where most of your viewers would be.

I agree with Caniac on this one, I have a palm tree that is 20 inches in circumference, I uses minilights to wrap it, as it was 8 sections with 3 - 100 light strands per section, its tight, and it looks really good. I fear a loose wrap will wish you had tightened it up. But nothing substitutes for actually doing a wrap and seeing for yourself!

Thanks guys I'll try 3 100 light string per section and see how much of the column it takes up. I only wanted to make it 4 sections. If that doesnt work I might just retrofit my garland with 4 short led string like 35 count and have it chase.

Thanks guys I'll try 3 100 light string per section and see how much of the column it takes up. I only wanted to make it 4 sections. If that doesnt work I might just retrofit my garland with 4 short led string like 35 count and have it chase.

I wouldn't wrap the whole column for your test, just do two sections per column and then look at it from where your viewers will be looking at it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think im going to get some smart rgb strips and mount them vertically. Do you guys know the max spacing I can have between the strips to get a good spiral effect? This will determine the amount of strips I need for a 180 degree or 270. Thanks

I think im going to get some smart rgb strips and mount them vertically. Do you guys know the max spacing I can have between the strips to get a good spiral effect? This will determine the amount of strips I need for a 180 degree or 270. Thanks

again this depends on multiple factors, ideally setting up one and looking at it from where your guest will view would be the best way to go.  if your viewing area is 5ft from the column then you might need to have them closer than if it was say 20ft.  I would also have to assume the shape of the columns might come into play as well as the color.

There really isn't a clear cut answer without know exactly what you are working with, in my case my columns are cedar stained so putting them tighter (1 inch) apart would have to be my preferred way of doing it (also the street is 12ft from the column also requiring a tighter method).  there is also no reflection to help the situation like you might have with white large round columns.

Edited by caniac

thanks Im  going to make a mock up of this either in my garage or basement. I can cut 1 strip into 3 pieces with each piece having 16 sections. Total of 10 pieces will give me 480 channels 1 universe so Im going to start with that. Since my column is 2 ft circumference and 180 will be 1ft im going to spread it out across that and see how it looks.

Edited by kryolla

I just ordered 5 strips from Ray Wu so it looks like I'll have my columns do all those cool effects with these smart strips. I think I'll have a pretty good display this christmas as long as the wife doesnt know how much im spending

I have heard of what sounds like good advice. Havent the money to do any test this year. But is like z = y. Or in simple lanuage the distance between pixels in the vertical axis is the distance you want between pixels in the horz. axis. Now for an example I am working with a few strips that have 3 LEDs that work together over about 3.5". So my strips would be about 3.5" apart. Now there are strips out there that have LEDs every inch. For a strip like that I believe your suppose to put the next strip over 1 inch, LED to LED.

thanks Max-Paul I played around with nutcracker and wasnt impressed with the matrix / grid so I have to do some more research and see how people set up a 180 degree mega tree with these strips. Also because its a column I might have to make the spacing tighter than 3.5. Everyone makes fun of me saying christmas isnt for a long time and I keep telling them I need all this time to prepare but hopefully next year I wont have to spend so much time

• 2 months later...

I have 4 square columns on my front porch that I am going to wrap. 
Each column is 8ft tall and each side of the square is 6in for a total of
2ft.  I have been looking at tree trunk wraps that are 8ft x 2ft to wrap
each with.  I have not decided if I should start at either the top or the
bottom and spiral them, or if I should just find the center and wrap from the
front to the back like you would do with a regular net light on a bush. 
If anyone has any experience or advice on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

I have 4 square columns on my front porch that I am going to wrap. 

Each column is 8ft tall and each side of the square is 6in for a total of

2ft.  I have been looking at tree trunk wraps that are 8ft x 2ft to wrap

each with.  I have not decided if I should start at either the top or the

bottom and spiral them, or if I should just find the center and wrap from the

front to the back like you would do with a regular net light on a bush. 

If anyone has any experience or advice on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

it sorta depends on how you are going to treat it when sequencing or if you will leave it static as well as if it will be ican/LED or RGB.  If the choice were mine and I had the lights on hand to do it then I would turn them into 7 channel light sticks (seven sections of lights per column).

it sorta depends on how you are going to treat it when sequencing or if you will leave it static as well as if it will be ican/LED or RGB.  If the choice were mine and I had the lights on hand to do it then I would turn them into 7 channel light sticks (seven sections of lights per column).

This is my first year and not having very much experience, they will all be static, ican and on the same channel.  This is why I hoped the tree wraps would work.  Trust me when I say your advice will help me a great deal in the future.

Interesting question.  I have columns as well, have to measure diameter, but they're sort of thick.  They're round and painted white.  Mine will be completely static.  We've always wrapped them top to bottom by just wrapping strings of minis around them in a downward spiral.  I think we use about 200 lights per.  But I'm open to a different way of wrapping...using incan minis.

I will throw in a "look at me" on this one.

We wrap 5 4x6 poles across our porch (we leave out the end 2... downspouts... arghhh)

Using the "arch" concept, there are 5 sections on each pole, and each pole alternates between either red and clear or green and clear (candy cane...ish)...

You can see what we did and get a basic look at

http://moodychristmas.weebly.com

There are some pictures and some video where you will see it. Sandra and I refer to them as Bellagio Poles... fire sticks.... bunch 'o lights on a pole ... etc ... call them what you will .. they still have a great effect.

Bob

I will throw in a "look at me" on this one.

We wrap 5 4x6 poles across our porch (we leave out the end 2... downspouts... arghhh)

Using the "arch" concept, there are 5 sections on each pole, and each pole alternates between either red and clear or green and clear (candy cane...ish)...

You can see what we did and get a basic look at

http://moodychristmas.weebly.com

There are some pictures and some video where you will see it. Sandra and I refer to them as Bellagio Poles... fire sticks.... bunch 'o lights on a pole ... etc ... call them what you will .. they still have a great effect.

Bob

I really like the way your columns look.  Would you be able to estimate the number of lights on each one?

Each column has 5 100-count incan strings.

Each string is wrapped in an 11" space as I recall

Bob