Light-O-Rama Forums

How to acquire thousands of lights and not go broke?

jjirik

I guess this is a pretty basic question.  I just bought a couple of controllers and now I need thousands and thousands of lights.  Any suggestions on how to get the best deal on these now (not on sale after the holiday)?  I found dhgate.com which sells wholesale quantities apparently direct from china- but didn't know if this is really a good option.

Any help is appreciated!

Most of the reputable dealers have already had their sales for this year...they have a "Pre-Sale", so they know what to buy from China.

You could buy directly from China but your shipping costs would be pretty high...due to your low volume.

Best bet now, if you do need them for this year, is just shop around...

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1

Welcome!

Try these two sites

http://www.holiday-light-express.com/

http://www.christmas-leds.com/default_v3.aspx?CategoryID=0

Both have sales going on right now.

Personally i'm a repeat buyer with HLE and never had a problem. Alot of the LOR old timers have mentioned C-L.com and they have great prices as well.

Hope this helps,

Mike

p.s. what's great about these two site is that you can order, pay half now and the other half when they ship out. That gives you some time to buy controllers, and lots and lots of extention cords.

Had a laugh when I first read the title to your thread. My first thought was that you need to find a rich cougar or if so inclined a sugar daddy. But with all joking aside. You might also check out CDI. They will be having a July sale so an email a week ago told me. But one thing to keep in mind. CDI only sells by the case (usually 12 strings per case).

• Like 1

Had a laugh when I first read the title to your thread. My first thought was that you need to find a rich cougar or if so inclined a sugar daddy. But with all joking aside. You might also check out CDI. They will be having a July sale so an email a week ago told me. But one thing to keep in mind. CDI only sells by the case (usually 12 strings per case).

Or steal them!

But seriously it depends what broke is to you at this point in time.

Buy what you can afford every year.

I have some extra strings of NEW Commerical Grade Incandescent Minis for Sale that I will never use. They are still in the cases and
they are all on green wire. They are a little over 48 foot long and the spacing
is 6 inches between the bulbs. When I used mine I made supper stings out of them
and I doubled up the strings and made the spacing 3 inches between the
bulbs.

The bulbs are replaceable and the type that lock into the
string.
I have the following.

52 strings of Blue
134 strings of
Green
86 strings of Red.

The price per string is $2.50 each plus
shipping.

If you would like any, please PM me and I'll fill the request
in the order that I get the pm's.

Wow, and my first answer was "get a good job".  I'm so old-fashioned ;)

Or perhaps list what kind of lights you are looking for, as people are changing displays every year, they may have some unused or lightly used lights they would part with for cheap.  For example, I will have some c6 LED's that are only used 1 season in Florida that are in great shape, some haven't been used at all, that I would be willing to sell. 

What is an IM?

IM = Instant Message is that the wrong term if so sorry 

I see what i meant was PM 

Edited by MCas4380

I have some extra strings of NEW Commerical Grade Incandescent Minis for Sale that I will never use. They are still in the cases and

they are all on green wire. They are a little over 48 foot long and the spacing

is 6 inches between the bulbs. When I used mine I made supper stings out of them

and I doubled up the strings and made the spacing 3 inches between the

bulbs.

The bulbs are replaceable and the type that lock into the

string.

I have the following.

52 strings of Blue

134 strings of

Green

86 strings of Red.

The price per string is $2.50 each plus

shipping.

If you would like any, please PM me and I'll fill the request

in the order that I get the pm's.

UPDATE.

Lights I still have.

32 strings of Blue

92 strings of

Green

54 strings of Red.

I have found GE led lights at an auction. They were where stores pulled them  off the shelf, and returns. I had to spend $200.00, and I got about 50 boxes of white minis, 10 boxes of white c-9, 10 boxes of color mini, and a lot of rope led in different colors. This is my first year and had planned on using old minis that I had. Found the auction at www.auctionzip.com and www.bidfta.com . There were large skids that were 4'x4'x4' that went for more that were full to the brim. The only problem is it was a gamble not being able to try the lights first, and not knowing what color you were going to get.

I have found GE led lights at an auction. They were where stores pulled them  off the shelf, and returns. I had to spend $200.00, and I got about 50 boxes of white minis, 10 boxes of white c-9, 10 boxes of color mini, and a lot of rope led in different colors. This is my first year and had planned on using old minis that I had. Found the auction at www.auctionzip.com and www.bidfta.com . There were large skids that were 4'x4'x4' that went for more that were full to the brim. The only problem is it was a gamble not being able to try the lights first, and not knowing what color you were going to get.

Welcome to the madness!

A good time to buy also is the week of Christmas until after New Years. Most stores try to sell off what they have left at a discount.

Where do you live Mike? I think the majority of us will tell you that our local stores are not stocking up like they used to do back 3 or more years ago (meaning the last 2 or so years the shelves are empty before the 25th).

Where do you live Mike? I think the majority of us will tell you that our local stores are not stocking up like they used to do back 3 or more years ago (meaning the last 2 or so years the shelves are empty before the 25th).

Hi Max- Paul

You Sr. are correct over the last couple years it seems that the shelves have had less on them.

I'm sure you and other forum members including myself love the hunt, store hopping to find what ever they have left on sale. The day after Christmas I was on graveyard shift but that didn't stop me. I stopped by two home depot's right after work in long beach, I didn't find anything. I made a mad dash home and stopped by two target's, Lowe's, home depot, two CVS's and two walgreens. I was able too find 24 boxes of pure white C9's at $5.99each. Walgreens compared to HD & L. is a gold mine, they had a lot of lights left.

I live in the city of Eastvale CA. that morning I went from Signal Hill, Norco, Mira Loma, Eastvale and finally Ontario.

About 4 years ago I was able to make some great purchases at Target, 2 shopping carts worth to be exact.  Last year there was zero lights left.  Same with HD and Lowes.

I do enjoy the yearly light hunt but the last couple years there was no joy.

jjirik  -   CDI (http://www.creativedisplays.com/read.asp?docid=514) and and HLE (http://www.holiday-light-express.com/).  I have done business with both and are very reliable.   HLE does have a sale going on now for delivery around July.  Very attractive pricing and had some LED icicles in green that I could not find anywhere else.

If you haven't already done so, order your extention cord wire and vampire plugs NOW.   I used WLC Ventures http://www.wlcventures.com/  for the last 3 years.

Good Luck!