Light-O-Rama Forums

Where do you get your songs?

Softball Shawn

I am just starting out and am having issues importing songs into the LOR software. I have tried purchasing the song with both iTunes and Amazon but cannot get LOR software to open it without an error. Any ideas for a newbie?

I am just starting out and am having issues importing songs into the LOR software. I have tried purchasing the song with both iTunes and Amazon but cannot get LOR software to open it without an error. Any ideas for a newbie?

Welcome Shawn!

Try the video tutorial section at the very top of this page.

Check out the starting a sequence section.

From one ex coronian(current Eastvalian) to another good luck and have fun.

Edited by Mike C.

What error message are you getting? When you say 'open it without an error' does this mean you are opening the Sequence Editor -> File -> New -> Musical Sequence and selecting the audio file from the pop-up screen, at which time you get an error message?

What format are you trying to use? Keep in mind that LOR does not support the iTunes format. Audio purchased there would need to be converted into a .WAV, .MP3, or other supported audio format.

What error message are you getting? When you say 'open it without an error' does this mean you are opening the Sequence Editor -> File -> New -> Musical Sequence and selecting the audio file from the pop-up screen, at which time you get an error message?

What format are you trying to use? Keep in mind that LOR does not support the iTunes format. Audio purchased there would need to be converted into a .WAV, .MP3, or other supported audio format.

Don, I do believe LOR now supports iTunes audio. I purchased a song a few weeks ago and started to sequence without converting it first. I believe it was added after the last update. It might be a version thing. I'm currently using 3.9 Advanced.

I have a number of compact disks with Christmas music on them.  I have had them for many years.  I just rip the songs from the CD's with windows media player.  I use the LOR recommended format, and have never had a problem.

Jerry

Thanks all, I did not know iTunes was not supported.

Mike, when Christmas comes around I need to drive by and see your setup, I am always in Eastvale. My daughter plays for Eastvale Girls Softball.

for us, with amazon if it went through the amazon downloader tool it wouldnt work so we had to download another program, run the song through it and save it and all was good.  we used audacity.

Mike, when Christmas comes around I need to drive by and see your setup, I am always in Eastvale. My daughter plays for Eastvale Girls Softball.

That isn't correct, in iTunes you have to select the song and "create an MP3" from it.  Make sure it is set at 128kps.  Most if not all my music is from iTunes.

if your iTunes doesn't have that in the drop down list then search "creating MP3's".  I do this all the time.

Edited by caniac

iTunes by default creates the music as an MP4, it DOES have a utility to create an MP3 from that and does so pretty fast.

Sounds good i'll have to do the same when you're up and running. We're over by the Easvale Elementary School on Quarter Horse Dr.

That;s why I'm not fond of iTunes, they should allow one to DEFAULT to THEIR preferred format and bit rate, every song I've gotten from iTune had to be coverted to an MP3, but why should we have to go through additional steps to get it in a format we want? 

I've complained to iTunes about it, but still they continue to force the MP4 as the standard. 

None of my MP3 players, car stereo or computers will even play MP4's, so it truly annoys me having to remember to convert every song I buy through iTunes and is why I try and use CDBaby, Amazon or anyone else that allows me to set my defaults to MP3, CBR and 192kbps.   

I use the DC-MP3 Showtime Director {original one, not the G3} and have never had any issues with this setting.  128kbps just ends up not sounding very good too me. 

That;s why I'm not fond of iTunes, they should allow one to DEFAULT to THEIR preferred format and bit rate, every song I've gotten from iTune had to be coverted to an MP3, but why should we have to go through additional steps to get it in a format we want? 

I've complained to iTunes about it, but still they continue to force the MP4 as the standard. 

None of my MP3 players, car stereo or computers will even play MP4's, so it truly annoys me having to remember to convert every song I buy through iTunes and is why I try and use CDBaby, Amazon or anyone else that allows me to set my defaults to MP3, CBR and 192kbps.   

I use the DC-MP3 Showtime Director {original one, not the G3} and have never had any issues with this setting.  128kbps just ends up not sounding very good too me. 

you are complaining about something that is a 5 second process to do.  I am ok with their default format, keeps the record companies happy.

The problem is that every time you convert to a lossy format quality is lost.

If you convert from one lossy format to another lossy format, further sound quality is lost.

The problem is that every time you convert to a lossy format quality is lost.

If you convert from one lossy format to another lossy format, further sound quality is lost.

that would matter if we were pushing this thru some sort of 64 channel sound system with concert quality speakers but most of us are just doing stereo if that so it is barely noticeable.

I thought there was a statement in one of the latest S3 releases saying that it now can handle M4a files... I just tried with S3 3.9.0 and an iTunes file did load and I could use the Tapper Wizard for timing. Unfortunately no Beat Wizard and no Waveform Display working.

The other big catch is that iTunes uses variable bit rate.

If you are concerned about audio quality you could use PCM Wave files instead by ripping songs of a CD.

On the other side - there are many more components involved in the sound in the end - just consider that an analog FM Transmitter usually cuts off above 15 kHz and the majority of the transmitters used in our hobby do not offer enough adjustment possibilities to make it sound good...

I thought there was a statement in one of the latest S3 releases saying that it now can handle M4a files... I just tried with S3 3.9.0 and an iTunes file did load and I could use the Tapper Wizard for timing. Unfortunately no Beat Wizard and no Waveform Display working. The other big catch is that iTunes uses variable bit rate. If you are concerned about audio quality you could use PCM Wave files instead by ripping songs of a CD. On the other side - there are many more components involved in the sound in the end - just consider that an analog FM Transmitter usually cuts off above 15 kHz and the majority of the transmitters used in our hobby do not offer enough adjustment possibilities to make it sound good...

Well what do you know, I missed that this past season.

In the What's New for 3.8 it says "M4A media files are now supported in musical sequences."