Light-O-Rama Forums

Which controller 2get LOR1602w or CTB16pc, money doesn't mater! Newbie help

Big Sanch Mafia

Hi everyone,

First post here, happy to be a part of this addiction. I've been doing my research and reading a bunch. But I have a simple question.. Well hopefully. I have funds for either controller just wondering which one makes the most sense?

I plan to eventually have 3-4 controllers in the coming years, but starting out I will get just one and learn the system. I wanted to ask you all if I should go with 1602w or is it not needed. I'm thinking more down the road too. I don't want to go the cheap route now if I need to upgrade later.

What are the major differences? It would be great if there was a comparison somewhere.

I appreciate your help and feedback. Any other advice is appreciated.

- BSM

Look here for a comparison chart.

All LOR products can be used at the same time, connected to the same network. You won't need to upgrade controllers just to use a newly released LOR product.

I've got a mix of the Showtime pro boards and Showtime PC series controllers. Everything works as expected.

If you ended up doing a commercial installation, or moving your display to a public location (park, etc.) then you would more than likely need to go with the Showtime Pro, as they are UL rated.

"Money doesn't matter"

Famous last words!!

If it is for a residential display get two of the PC controllers to start.  The cost difference between the commercial and residential is pretty large so you can get a lot more of the PC controllers for less money.

Edited by Shubb

I agree with everything Shubb said. 

The only exception would be if you weren't planning on using a PC to run your show.

Edited by George Simmons

I agree with everything Shubb said. 

The only exception would be if you weren't planning on using a PC to run your show.

Should probably clarify that.  If you are planning to synch a show to music (as most do) then you will either need a PC or a Director of some sort.  If only planning to run animation (non-musical), then a Showtime Pro controller can run in stand-alone mode.

Should probably clarify that.  If you are planning to synch a show to music (as most do) then you will either need a PC or a Director of some sort.  If only planning to run animation (non-musical), then a Showtime Pro controller can run in stand-alone mode.

Thanks for all the help everyone... I do plan on synching to music and I planned on using a PC. It sounds like I should go with ctb16???

"Money doesn't matter"

Famous last words!!

If it is for a residential display get two of the PC controllers to start.  The cost difference between the commercial and residential is pretty large so you can get a lot more of the PC controllers for less money.

Haha.. That money comment was just related to the controllers. I have enough $$ in my budget to plan for either one.

This would only be for residential.

Look here for a comparison chart.

All LOR products can be used at the same time, connected to the same network. You won't need to upgrade controllers just to use a newly released LOR product.

I've got a mix of the Showtime pro boards and Showtime PC series controllers. Everything works as expected.

If you ended up doing a commercial installation, or moving your display to a public location (park, etc.) then you would more than likely need to go with the Showtime Pro, as they are UL rated.

Thanks for the chart and advice Don.

get the pc model and svae your money for more lights and all the extension cords you will need.Thats what shocked me my first time,I spent as much if not more on all the extras that go along with the controllers

IMHO if money is no issue, I would at least by 2 controllers now. you will quickly say I should have bought 2. Just saying