Light-O-Rama Forums

what's new with lor

sysco

LOR is a great technology company rather than a great marketing driven company.  Don't plan on what MAY or is Projected to be available, plan on what is avilable now.  We have seen this issue a number of times in the past few years.  Having spent a number of years in the sofware developmnent company I can assure you that time projections NEVER pan out as expected.  (One fix breaks three things that worked before).

I found last year that attemping to make major changes to to late in the year ONLY result in disaster.  There becomes a time (just about arouind the corner) where any new inovations should be relegated to next year.  Changeing sofrware has a learing curve (often big),  LOR will either catch up with our needs or will fall back to a hardware only company or dislove away, which I HOPE does NOT occur. 

Point is Dan will decide when and where,  as a community we will decide if the availablity and funcitons meed our needs.  LOR has had a few major (?) product and availability issues in the past couple of years.  Experiance proves that failing to meet an expection can really hurt a companys confidence.  No wonder no more info has been released untill it is almost cut in stone. It is NO wonder that Dan is a little gun shy.

We all can look forward to what is next but whining about when and what does not get results.

Edited by jerrymac
  • Like 2

I understand the desire for information from the consumer. I also understand the need to keep some new developments somewhat under wraps until they are ready for release. 

I normally spend most of my time on the DIY sites and knowing what people are working on is usually not a problem.  People will show just ideas or mocked up concepts and in general, what they’re working on.

I know it doesn’t work that way with a business.  But a ‘Hey were looking to come out with ‘X’ sometime in the following year or two’. would be nice but I understand why they won’t too.

They are coming out with "X"?!?!?! Cool

When?

I am planning on using "X" this year so I need to know when "X" will be released....

Just being sarcasitic.

If LOR stopped doing software/hardware updates they still would have a lot of customers (including me).

Well its obvious we are all fishing to find out what "X" is and Dan is not biting.

We all must be using the wrong bait to catch a Dan.

I don't think anybody here is asking for Dan to do anything other than what he said he was going to do over 2 months ago (quoted below).  From what I have read in this thread, I don't see how it is felt that anybody is "being kinda  mean" or has "beat em up on the forum."  Dan indicated he was going to make an announcement soon, specifically on the pixel aspect of the company.  I think you just have loyal customers that are wanting to give LOR an opportunity to keep their business, but at the same time they recognize that by a certain time of year that the show must go on with or without LOR.  Without even the slightest hint about what is in the pipeline, people just assume that LOR is going to continue to lose ground compared to what is already out there for the pixel aspect of the hobby.   Most involved in this hobby definitely understand that most decorators definitely what to keep up with  (or ahead of) the Joneses, so once they realize that LOR S3 isn't going to cut it for heavy pixel sequencing, they will quickly move on to another software that is already out there that is prepared to handle pixels better (and it is unlikely they will return).  LOR would be wise to make an attempt to retain these users, even if it is just with some vague updates on what their plans are.  I would be willing to bet that a good portion of those >10% that are using pixels now are some of the most helpful and/or bright people in this hobby, and I would think that LOR/Dan would want to keep their expertise present here on the LOR forums.  Hey, but what do I know...I just play with Christmas lights.

We will be making some announcements soon. One of the reasons we have held back is that we have been guilty when it comes to being overly optimistic on schedules. Once I have a good handle on what will and will not be released this year I will let you know. We certainly are working on hardware and software that support and simplify the use of pixels. We expect the number of LOR customers using pixels to top 10% this year and pixels will be one of the fastest growing areas so we are increasing the portion of our resources allocated to such products. 

Dan

I agree with Surfing.. I don't think anyone is beating them up.. For me personally I just want some indication as to whats coming.  I for one am out of time for making a decision.  (perhaps a bit passed that time)

With the lack of good information, I have had to decide what to do for my jump into pixels.   Monday I will be buying a "different" software package to run with my existing LOR.  I waited as long as I felt I could and still get done what I need to do.  I actually hope I didn't wait too long. 

LOR is a good product line with limitations which make it a bit short for what is coming right now.  However, Dan said that about 10% of LOR customers will use pixels this year.. for LOR it may just not be an economical issue to push thru a better system of pixel programming.  What they have is still great and I will continue to use them until it no longer makes sense.. .should that time come. 

I still have lots and lots of LOR items that work just fine.. I just can't do the high count pixel thing with LOR very well.  Could be just me... I am adding about 9500 pixels this year with just two props.  I gotta figure this all out quick!  ha ha

Came across this while searching for new lightorama products. There is a test site that shows up in a google search for LOR, easy to find, it has a page called Dan's Desk and has an outline of 2013 products. Not sure if it is true or accuarate information and not sure LOR wants me to post the site, but a simple google search for "lightorama what's coming in 2013" shows you the site.

I'm not sue what the "this isn't the real thing"  or "sequences for sale  NOT"  is all about on that page.

Edited by shfr26

Dan is a very smart businessman ...........Not saying anything untill he has everything firmed up and also creating a bigger anticipatiion from all of us and I expect the BIG unveiling will be at Chrismas Expo in Gatlinburg.

Dan is a very smart businessman ...........Not saying anything untill he has everything firmed up and also creating a bigger anticipatiion from all of us and I expect the BIG unveiling will be at Chrismas Expo in Gatlinburg.

Perhaps you are right.. he might be waiting.. of course it would have been nice to tell us all that instead of an announcement soon...   Too late for me unfortunately.   I am spending some of my new controller $$ on other software...

Dan used to share a lot of insight into what they were working on. But it started getting ugly when he did that. He would no sooner mention they were working on something and five minutes later someone had it built into their show and started demanding a release date.

I don’t know what the answer is. You can only put so many resources on a project and be able to turn a profit. It seems like waiting till they have a working product is actually less drama (on the forum) than letting out the little secrets like he used to do. But I do understand that these days companies can suffer badly if they don’t feed customers insatiable need for constant upgrades. I don’t like it, but I understand it.

Perhaps you are right.. he might be waiting.. of course it would have been nice to tell us all that instead of an announcement soon...   Too late for me unfortunately.   I am spending some of my new controller $$ on other software...

What software package did you decide to go with? I bought light factory personal, and am also testing HLS.

• 3 weeks later...

Ron - To provide a direct link to a specific post, click on the little triangle thingie just to right of the post# and it will open up with an http link. Copy that link and paste it into a reply and it will take people directly to that post #. Like Dan's reply about the new DC controller card.

FYI

Learn something new everyday. Now we will see how long I can remember it.

Thanks

Thomas