Light-O-Rama Forums

Artificial Pumpkin Pillars

JF1993

I have two average sized pillars under my pourch roof, and I came up with this crazy idea to try and construct some artificial jack-o-lanterns to cover them up this October. I thought about using some funkins, but after seeing the price per funkin I changed my mind about using them. Anyone ever tried making artificial jack-o-lanterns before? Or has anyone come across a tutorial on how to do this?

Disney-fan-reborn might have some ideas for ya. He has that awesome pumpkin arch.

Disney-Fan made an 8 foot tall arch out of jackolanterns.   If anyone would know where to start it should be him.

Check out one of the Halloween forums, like www.halloweenforum.com the decorators there can give you the details. Look for props made with Monster Mud or paper mache, they're then covered with DryLok, a masonry waterproofer, then painted and finished as you like.  Lots of work and time vs. purchasing a Fumkin, but it'll save you some $$.  Michael's carry a "Fumkin" like carveable pumpkin at cheaper price then the Fumkins.

good luck!

That's interesting, I'll have try a Michael's the next time I see one. Otherwise I have some ideas, but I'll also check with Disney-fan-reborn as well to review the options. Thanks

• 5 months later...

I just had a brilliant idea!!! What do people always get rid of a the end of Halloween? The kids trick or treat buckets. And fortunately most trick or treat buckets generally look the same like pumpkins. So I went down to my local resale shop and they had these pumpkin buckets for a quarter a pop, and they had about 50 different buckets. So my plan is to go out and buy 16 of these guys and then cut a line down the side so I can attach them to my porch posts like a clamp of sorts. Then I bought some extra orange leds from menards last season so I'm going to carefully place those inside the pumpkins to light them up nice and bright. Sounds like a good idea to me, and a cheap one at that. :D

If  you have a Garden Ridge in your town or nearby they are already selling Halloween stuff.  they have pumpkins ranging in size from 8" all the way up to 24" (cheap plastic variety).  depending on the size of the columns they may work.

if that isn't an options the SpiritHalloween may have the same ones to ship.

Edited by caniac

If you use the trick or treat pumpkin buckets, throw some lights in them.  A c7 works really well.  Sometimes you can get the skulls at the dollar stores too.

Sam's Club has some Halloween stuff too.  This year they added led lights, C6 if I remembered right, 100ct green, purple and orange for $10 ea.  This was in Milwaukee.

I just had a brilliant idea!!! What do people always get rid of a the end of Halloween? The kids trick or treat buckets. And fortunately most trick or treat buckets generally look the same like pumpkins. So I went down to my local resale shop and they had these pumpkin buckets for a quarter a pop, and they had about 50 different buckets. So my plan is to go out and buy 16 of these guys and then cut a line down the side so I can attach them to my porch posts like a clamp of sorts. Then I bought some extra orange leds from menards last season so I'm going to carefully place those inside the pumpkins to light them up nice and bright. Sounds like a good idea to me, and a cheap one at that. :D

actually that is a great idea if your columns aren't that big (4" or less) and for penny's on the dollar.   At a quarter a pop I would most likely buy all 50 so that you have extras and can get creative with what you do (also if you mess one up you have a spare).

If you have the time you could make your own pumpkins from foam, seems like alot of work but you can customize sizes.

http://www.spyderwood.com/Styrofoam%20Pumpkins.html

I originally wanted to do foam pumpkins, but after seeing the price people pay for funkins I got scared off. So after a little searching around I came up with this simple idea. Turns out the resale shop got rid of most the pumpkin buckets by the time I got back so I might have to just wait until Walmart brings in the Halloween stuff for 2013.

If you use the trick or treat pumpkin buckets, throw some lights in them.  A c7 works really well.  Sometimes you can get the skulls at the dollar stores too.

I bought two zip-lock bags of c6 bulb candle lights, but since I'm putting these on my front porch posts I think I'll use my extra strings of orange leds. I'm not sure if it will look ok just yet, but it's worth a shot.

I originally wanted to do foam pumpkins, but after seeing the price people pay for funkins I got scared off. So after a little searching around I came up with this simple idea. Turns out the resale shop got rid of most the pumpkin buckets by the time I got back so I might have to just wait until Walmart brings in the Halloween stuff for 2013.

don't wait on walmart, check out some of the other big box stores and/or Michaels.  Big Lots has them now as does Garden Ridge if you have one of those.  might not hurt to check other thrift shops.  Spirit Halloween is another online option as is Oriental Trading company (they carry party goods).

good idea! I'll most likely have to search online since my small town doesn't exactly have many big box stores

good idea! I'll most likely have to search online since my small town doesn't exactly have many big box stores

Oriental Trading just might have the trick or treat buckets in mass quantities though maybe not at 25 cents each but a lot less than big box stores.  Several years back we were working several beer stands at a Jimmy Buffet concert (marching band fundraiser) and they supplied me over two dozen coconut bra's plus twice the amount of grass skirts on short notice and for cheap!!

• 2 months later...

bring up an old thread... i'm hitting walmart tomorrow to get plastic buckets.  should be 1/2 off, so about 50 cents each.  i want to do a pumpkin arch next year.  i saw the pumpkin arch on youtube that was made out of those foam pumpkins from the craft store.  that would be cool, but i dont have a michaels near me.  and i think the plastic ones are still cheaper.