Light-O-Rama Forums

Clip Boards

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

Not sure where to post this, is there any talk on fixing the clip boards on LOR sequencer, as soon as you add 3 items to the clip board it makes it very difficult to read, for the people that are venturing into pixels this proves to be a real problem??

Can I ask you mean by "add 3 items to the clipboard"?

Because there is 26 of them added below and, at least to me, they are readable.

lor-se-clipboards.PNG

Like this?

lor-se-clipboards-2.PNG

Personally, I shorten things to take up less space. Green=Gn or Grn Twinkle=Twk or Twkl

Guess I'm looking at it from a glass half full perspective.

I only see a problem if the name is too long (over 20 characters) and goes to a second line...then it cuts off the top and bottom of each line

Edited by jimswinder

Want to clarify this statement?

Not sure how you perceived anything above to be something other than that.  I didn't realize that if somebody points out a legitimate issue that could be improved upon in the software that it would be viewed as possessing a "glass half empty" viewpoint by a LOR Partner and/or forum admin. Seems pretty negative to me. :rolleyes:  Surely LOR is wanting to continue to make improvements in their software and is open to such input.  Guess I'm looking at it from a glass half full perspective.

• Like 1

Didn't see anything in the "half full" comment except that the clip board seems to work okay as shown in the example. However as commented, when the name gets long it wraps and is difficult to read. We been looking into making some enhancements and will take this into consideration. 

Dan

Like this?

lor-se-clipboards-2.PNG

Personally, I shorten things to take up less space. Green=Gn or Grn Twinkle=Twk or Twkl

This has been a problem for a long time. You are intentionally minimizing the fact that long names are not readable.   Of course we all know there is a work around of using names short enough to not trigger the problem.

Easiest fix again this would depend on the length you make the names would be the ability to exapnd the bar and make it fit a longer name.  Same with the channel/group names, drag it out to fit the full name when it begins to hide becuase of the length of the name.   The ability to make that tool bar wider would solve that or better organization so that it can add lines to the text instead of cramming them all together.   I think the wider tool bar would prove more useful.

Guest Don Gillespie

I think the wider tool bar would prove more useful.

This would more than likley solve the problem, and prove to be very helpful for the guys using pixels, or even the ability to expand the tool bar on your own and when finished reduce it back to normal size.

Edited by Don Gillespie

Didn't see anything in the "half full" comment except that the clip board seems to work okay as shown in the example. However as commented, when the name gets long it wraps and is difficult to read. We been looking into making some enhancements and will take this into consideration. 

Dan

Dan if I can offer one more suggestion, not sure if it has been offered up already or not.

If a clip file is imported, the behavior of the tool should be to immediately make that the active or default clip. Importing then having to go through a secondary operation to use that clip is frustrating. IMHO if you are importing it, you are going to probably use it right away or soon thereafter. I use Bob's Flip utility a LOT and this is my gripe against the Clip tool.

Guest Don Gillespie

The longer names may be a problem however the real problem is when you load the clip board, using nutcracker elements they become extremely difficult to read, the area that I am talking about is in the yellow or gold area, after it is loaded,

One thing to note is that if you hover your mouse over the name of the clipboard, a tooltip with the full name will appear.  I'm not saying this is the perfect solution, but it might help mitigate the issue.

Guest Don Gillespie

Want to clarify this statement?

Not sure how you perceived anything above to be something other than that.  I didn't realize that if somebody points out a legitimate issue that could be improved upon in the software that it would be viewed as possessing a "glass half empty" viewpoint by a LOR Partner and/or forum admin. Seems pretty negative to me. :rolleyes:  Surely LOR is wanting to continue to make improvements in their software and is open to such input.  Guess I'm looking at it from a glass half full perspective.

Turns out Surfing4dough I won't be needing the use of the clip boards anymore, decided to go a different route, but I have to agree with you the answer given by the lor partner and admin was typical in his responses, if he didn't understand the question maybe he shouldn't have answered it. just saying. thanks Bob for your reply that makes sense.

Turns out Surfing4dough I won't be needing the use of the clip boards anymore, decided to go a different route... 

Another one bites the dust, eh...

It's really gonna start getting lonely around here pretty soon with so many of you pixel guys (and girls) heading for greener pastures...

Dan if I can offer one more suggestion, not sure if it has been offered up already or not.

If a clip file is imported, the behavior of the tool should be to immediately make that the active or default clip. Importing then having to go through a secondary operation to use that clip is frustrating. IMHO if you are importing it, you are going to probably use it right away or soon thereafter. I use Bob's Flip utility a LOT and this is my gripe against the Clip tool.

zman, thanks for the suggestion. It makes a lot of sense.  

• 2 weeks later...

You know I'm pretty new to the LOR software. I have been using it for about 3 years now and one thing that I like about it is it is still a single screen interface. LOR software works for lights like a MIDI / Audio editing program works for sound. 20 years ago I started using a MIDI / Audio editing program that was simple called Cakewalk now called Sonar. In the beginning the interface was simple short and easy and fit on one screen. today you have to use 2 screens at a minimum to keep from having to minimizing one screen to get to another. this stated issue in LOR is the kind of thing that brings about change that takes up screen space. I am just saying I seen this happen before. soon the tool bar will be half the size of the screen to accommodate the larger names. then if you open the animation window it takes up another quarter to a half screen, then if your are using the visualizer, it takes up screen space. so something will have to be minimized to be able to look at the main screen when playing back. So now you unpin the tool bar until it's needed again and so on and so forth. I'm just saying Keep it simple. My 2 cents.

For some of us, it's already a 2-screen situation if you want to have the sequence editor at a functional size and view the Visualizer at the same time - unless you want to be digging around for minimized windows all night long.

• Like 1

For some of us, it's already a 2-screen situation if you want to have the sequence editor at a functional size and view the Visualizer at the same time - unless you want to be digging around for minimized windows all night long.

Yes I figured some of you would be there now. I guess I need to catch up with some of you guys George. lol

I have gotten very used to three screens for sequencing. My main 32" for the SE, a 21" for the animation window and another 21" for the visualizer.  Since I do multiple houses it doesn't always make sense to take the time to re-do the set up into the animation.

I would love to be able to run multiple visualizers.

• Like 1