Light-O-Rama Forums

10w RGB Flood Light - Reverse Engineering

Dave H1

Rather than reverse eng,  How about a DMX 10W  12volt RGB Flood already set up?

Ray Woo has them  (24.00 (plus shipping of course)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10W-RGB-DMX-flood-light-DC12V-input/550394253.html

Shipping at $26.00 now makes this item $50.00.

The OP mentioned in post #1 about Ray having them but was looking for a more economical solution.

Jim,

Can you provide pics of your setup with the RGB and white LEDs in one housing?

Thanks,

I'll try to get a couple pics in a day or so.  It's currently snowing out.  I need to modify one before I take a pic of it.  It's functional, but not the best workmanship at the time I made these.

The 20W RGB leds I bought last year were for someone else for a totally different project, so I didn't get to compare them side-by-side with my current setup.

I'll try to get a couple pics in a day or so.  It's currently snowing out.  I need to modify one before I take a pic of it.  It's functional, but not the best workmanship at the time I made these.

The 20W RGB leds I bought last year were for someone else for a totally different project, so I didn't get to compare them side-by-side with my current setup.

I understand on the snow, we just bearly dodged a blizzard which got Woodward OK pretty bad.

But when you get a chance, I would love to see what you did.

I understand on the snow, we just bearly dodged a blizzard which got Woodward OK pretty bad.

But when you get a chance, I would love to see what you did.

I second that request

I found some older pics, same 10W leds r, g, b.  This was before I added the white.  Unfortunately I don't have a pic as what white looked like using RGB.  If I remember right, blue was a little strong.  Plus I figured it would be better to run a 10W white than 30W RGB.  The house pics is one 10W led lighting up the side of the house.  My current setup has three fixtures much closer to the house allowing more than one color to show on the house or chase across.  With the fixtures close to the house, I rarely go above 20% except on white when I want a blast of light B)

For some stupid reason on my current fixtures I used JB Weld instead of screws to mount the leds, works, but looks like crap.

The fixtures themselves are from used fuser rollers from the production equipment I work on.  I have a metal lathe that works great for making these.  I'm thinking about maybe selling some this year if there is interest.  I need to get more 20W RGB leds and figure out which rollers will work best and how available that particular roller will be.

http://s329.beta.photobucket.com/user/scubado65/library/#/user/scubado65/library/RGB%20Flood%20lights?&_suid=1361926512380006613747585083651

Edited by scubado

Thanks Jim,

I saw two video clips of the green LEDs against the side of the house (no pics that I noticed). Looks really good.

Also, do you have pics of the lights/housing assy and what the fuser rollers are that you are using? (not sure what fuser rollers are)

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Santas Helper

Where'd you find the videos?  The page I posted just has pics.  The fuser rollers are heated with halogen lamps they fuse toner on the paper.  Some machines have a very thin walled roller that is worthless to me, but some machines have thick walled rollers that are great to work with.  Plus each model series has different size rollers.  If I were to use just the 20W RGB led, I could make some fairly small fixtures that would really pack a punch.  I can also make them into spots by recessing the light in the tube.  I'll try to get a pic of some of the rollers I use tomorrow.

Edited by scubado

Jim,

Are there resistors incorporated into your floods?

Do these LEDs require any constant current limiting devices?

They appear to be pretty straight forward.  Do you have any comparison between the RGB chips and the individual color chips?

Where'd you find the videos?  The page I posted just has pics.  The fuser rollers are heated with halogen lamps they fuse toner on the paper.  Some machines have a very thin walled roller that is worthless to me, but some machines have thick walled rollers that are great to work with.  Plus each model series has different size rollers.  If I were to use just the 20W RGB led, I could make some fairly small fixtures that would really pack a punch.  I can also make them into spots by recessing the light in the tube.  I'll try to get a pic of some of the rollers I use tomorrow.

Jim, there were two videos showing 3 green floods going back and forth in random sequence. Then there were other pics showing hacked extension cords, your Marty fan and other personal stuff.

But now it just shows the 4 pics. It must have been a Photobucket hick-up.

I like the idea and as Dave asked, I'm curious myself.

Thanks again,

Edited by Santas Helper

Yes, I use thermo compound.  The leds are mounted on 1/4" think aluminum inside the aluminum housing.  The whole thing acts as a heat sink and will melt the snow off of them.  They are tough leds too.  When I used to scuba dive, I used similar fixtures under water for my camera.  One fixture leaked and flooded the led, didn't stop it from working.  I also have one that uplights my Birch tree everynight for three years.  It might get replaced this year with RGB and 20W white.

I use two 10ohm 5W resistors in parrallel for red I may have switched to something else, but I can't find what I'm currently using.

I use a 2ohm 1W resistor for blue

I don't recall having any issues with green running on 12V straight

10W white can survive on 12V straight, but adding a 1ohm resistor would be a good idea or use the same as the blue.

20W white handles my van straight with no problems, for over a year now and my vehicle is used for work.

I ordered 2  20W RGB leds this morning.  It'll probably take a couple weeks to get here.

Keep us posted Jim,

I'm curious to see the difference in the 10w vrs 20w

I just started reading this thread......So is the remote control flood not as good as the one that scubado recomends or is it because its only 10W?   Sorry for the dumb questions ....just trying to understand all this. and find a low cost solution

were they the flood units or just the chips??

Just the chips. I make own fixtures.

gmac: The remote control is useless for this hobby.  You can buy them to get the chip with housing, but you have to bypass the controller.

I just started reading this thread......So is the remote control flood not as good as the one that scubado recomends or is it because its only 10W?   Sorry for the dumb questions ....just trying to understand all this. and find a low cost solution

Gmac,

As Jim pointed out, the remote is useless when wanting to control them yourself but I must say, for the cost you get a very bright RGB LED chip in a weather proof housing which is great if you don't want to mess with making your own. I'm leaning this way for ease and cost. And the dang things put out some serious light in all colors.

But Jim here has a pretty good idea of making his own housing which I want to see and hear more of.