Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie going All-In

Bizywk

I need an azmuth or sanity check if I could.  

We're assembling a first year display for this fall/winter.  Fixed budget, so we're probably skipping a few learning steps in order to shortcut hardware escalation by buying the good stuff - once.   We're planning on between 32 and 48 LOR channels for our first display, and going to immediately add a number of smart pixel strings and a number of DMX floods.  We dont have the S3 software yet, but plan to go straight to the Advanced version to support the DMX flood fill lighting capability. 

Do we also need to pop for an SSS license if we want to start individual pixel addressing?  I cant afford LOR's CCR solution, but I think I can swing it with a simple lower cost smart string/controller fed by a LOR to DMX dongle.

Programming is my biggest concern because we haven't had any experience, and right now we dont even have the software or hardware in yet to start testing.  Ive been through the tutorials and have an understanding, but until we get the real software and test hardware, we cant get a full grasp of the tasks that lay ahead.

It seems like a lot to bite off at one time, but I've run the numbers and while it adds a ton to the up front cost, it truly is the most cost effective route over the longer term.   I'm concerned that we wont even be able to buy a seed sequence or two because of the complexity so we're really on our own.

Are we thinking crazy thoughts here?

You can download the software for free and start playing with it now.  You won't be able to control lights until you pay for a license.  I can't help you with the pixel part,  I haven't gotten there yet.  I use regular led strings and RGB dumb ribbon.

Welcome aboard!

I need an azmuth or sanity check if I could.  

We're assembling a first year display for this fall/winter.  Fixed budget, so we're probably skipping a few learning steps in order to shortcut hardware escalation by buying the good stuff - once.   We're planning on between 32 and 48 LOR channels for our first display, and going to immediately add a number of smart pixel strings and a number of DMX floods.  We dont have the S3 software yet, but plan to go straight to the Advanced version to support the DMX flood fill lighting capability. 

Do we also need to pop for an SSS license if we want to start individual pixel addressing?  I cant afford LOR's CCR solution, but I think I can swing it with a simple lower cost smart string/controller fed by a LOR to DMX dongle.

Programming is my biggest concern because we haven't had any experience, and right now we dont even have the software or hardware in yet to start testing.  Ive been through the tutorials and have an understanding, but until we get the real software and test hardware, we cant get a full grasp of the tasks that lay ahead.

It seems like a lot to bite off at one time, but I've run the numbers and while it adds a ton to the up front cost, it truly is the most cost effective route over the longer term.   I'm concerned that we wont even be able to buy a seed sequence or two because of the complexity so we're really on our own.

Are we thinking crazy thoughts here?

I your asking if were crazy?  Your on the wrong forum :D Guess it's debatable that were all crazy cuz we all do it (LOL) .

Seriously, you don't have to pay full retail for controllers if you don't want to you could watch for other members selling good used controllers or take advantage of the LOR spring and summer sales....... 

You can download the S3 software and play with it at no cost to familiarize yourself  with it.......and don't purchase any sequences there are plenty of free sequences out there to use and adapt to your layout also you don't have to purchase a license untill next Nov. right before your display goes on.

Go slow this is a fun hobby the last thing you want is to get stressed out over it

I echo the comments above, you can download and experiment with the S3 software without purchasing a license. As for sequencing your RGB lights, you would of course use the SuperStar Software. If you are using DMX RGB lights then you will need to create a Visualization of them in the Visualizer and then import the visualization into SuperStar. SuperStar will get the channel and configuration information from the Visualization.

To learn more about the Visualizer, look at the forum for the Visualizer.

To learn more about sequencing with SuperStar there are some video tutorials. Go to the lightorama main page, click on "Support" then click on "Video Tutorials", the SuperStar tutorials are at the bottom. Start by watching the one that covers "Scenes" then watch the one on "Morphs." You will first need to download the S3 software, you can do the tutorials using the free demo version of SuperStar.

if you are planning on 48 channels I would get 64...

I bought 32 channels my first year and even before they arrived, I realized I needed/wanted 32 more...

plus, if you even have basic soldering skills you could buy the kits and save even more money...

1+ on all of the above advice. I do like to build my boards and you do save some if you have time to build them. Diffanantly go RIght Now and download the Demo software and start playing.  Take time to get your Visuallizer just the way you want it. with this tool you don't really need the Hardware and Licence till set up time. gives you more time to save. Also sit down and write out your plan and stick to it  Atleast for this year when you start changing your plans it gets confusing fast. Also keep an eye out for Etension cord deals I like the indoor type and SPT wire your going to need a lot. As far as programing RGB take this from a rookie in that field. but my research show that SS is great but you don't have to have it. a little more patience and some work there are other ways to get this done that are free.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

"you don't need superstar for programming RGB for your first year i did all mine with s3"

Sort of. RGB Dumb strips are fine in S3. It's when you move to pixel based lights that you will need Super Star. Which I think is what he was asking. With pixel based lights you'll go mad if you try to sequence all those channels in S3 alone. You can do it, but I dont recommend it. One 50 count RGB pixel string is a 150 channels of DMX alone. Super Star will allow you to do cooler things in MUCH shorter amounts of time.

Go to my E1.31 thread and download my ZIP file. Read the instructions and it will get you started in no time.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26449-easy-pixel-setup-zip-for-4-universes-of-12x50-count-strings/

2012 was our first show. I did 32 channels of plain old lights. I think starting with 32-48 channels is a good choice, and starting months in advance for the pixel stuff is smart also.

I would look into the E1.31 stuff. You can keep costs down if you start small. But your still looking at an E1.31 controller, pixel based lights, wire, programming and time.

Also look into voltage drop and distance from controller to first pixel. It's not as easy as wire to wherever and go. There are rules of thumb to follow.

One nice thing about the CCR's and CCB's is that they are a complete solution out of the box. DIY keeps costs down, but it's a much bigger learning curve and time investment. I estimated close to $700 to do a DIY E1.31 mega tree.

You could try about 100 pixel lights (2 strings of 50 - 300 channels - 1 universe) at an investment of about $200. That's roughly 30 or so feet of pixels about 4 inches apart and a good place to start if you're going the DIY route your first year.

Dib~

Edited by funkymzk

Here's Kents display that did over 900 pixels in S3 alone.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26293-2012-rgb-highlight-video/

He was pretty clever in how he approached the sequencing in S3. Just tried it. So I stand corrected. At this point I guess it comes to  "it's all about how much time you want to invest"

But one fact holds true. Super star was built for this.

Dib~

I am really impressedwith Kents display. He is very skilled at using S3 to sequence RGB lights. Each song uses a different style, and is creatively done!

My goal of course is to make all those kinds of effects easier to do with SuperStar. Thanks for sharing, it helps give me ideas of the kinds of things that can be done with RGB lights.

There's a lot of sage advice here.  Thank-you all for your help.    I really appreciate it.