Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing Contest!

George Simmons

Well, The entry's are coming in.....

remember to add if your a newbie or veteran to your email

As for the posters, they are very vivid in color, the picture I posted in this thread doesn't to it actual justice

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PMC

• TonyD

• Brian Mitchell

• George Simmons

.  Brian is a teddy bear kind of guy and I'm more of a prickly cactus.  Although having said that, I've never threatened a blowmold with a power tool! -_-

I tell ya, I'm right on the edge!!  One of these days I'm going to get the biggest drill gun I can find and screw every one of those blowmolds that won't stand up for me!

Brian and George

Yesterday I emailed my contact at TSO and this morning I recieved 2 more posters, so you guys (in lew of pay) for being judges in this contest each get an autographed TSO poster, I will ship to you when you PM me your mailing addresses

-paul

Let's do a 2nd place prize with the 2-TSO posters, that way at least 4 people get a prize,

And we can let the first place winners decide which they want either the gift certificate or the TSO Poster, whats the cash value of the TSO poster? look at the attached picture (the prize I'm giving away doesn't have a frame), I hung mine above my LOR Show Computer, its kinda cool to look at as I'm sequencing new music, but thats just me I like TSO

Edited by PMC

You know Paul?  You're all right, despite what they say about you.  B)

What he said...

Quick Reminder - 8 more days to get your contest entry submitted.

Please note:  This sequencing contest is for fun only and was suggested by a forum member.  It is not being produced by, managed by, judged by, sanctioned by, or in any way influenced by LOR.  Please don't waste the time of anyone at LOR with questions related to the contest that they can't answer.  Any questions or concerns should be expressed publicly in this thread and either Brian, Paul or George will respond.

SEQUENCING CONTEST RULES

One entry per person.

There are two categories:

Newbie – people who have produced one or fewer synchronized displays.

Veteran – people who have produced more than one synchronized display.

Participants must indicate which category they’re entering.  Newbies can enter either category, while veterans can only enter the veteran category.

Each category will be awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.  No other scores will be posted.   Should a category have fewer than 5 entries, there will be only one winner.

Prizes:  Bragging rights only. 

All entries must be received prior to midnight EST on 2/22.

Winners will be announced on or about 2/25.

Entries must be sent to forum member PMC at lorcontest@neatlights.com  (DO NOT send entries to either judge - that will result in disqualification.)  Each entry received will be coded by PMC with an entry number only and then forwarded to the judges.  The master list will remain in PMC’s possession at all times.  The judges will have no knowledge of whose entry they’re grading.  Grading will be on a 1 to 10 scale in each of the following areas:

Creativity

Timing

Flow

Use of color

Musical Interpretation

Overall Watchability

Each entry will be graded separately by each judge.  The combined scores will determine the winners.  In the event of a tie, both entries will be discarded and the next highest scorer will be crowned champion.  (Just kidding – in the unlikely event of a tie we’ll figure something out.)  In any event, the decisions of the judges are final. 

Entrants must use the blank sequence provided.  Entrants may rearrange and/or group the channels in the sequence however they see fit.  Entrants are free to use the Visualizer, however no provisions have been made for that, so you're totally on your own.  Judging will be done using the Animation only.  Entrants are not allowed to modify the Animation. 

The Contest files can be downloaded from this address: http://claremontchristmaslights.com/Contest_Entry.html

Good luck and happy sequencing!

To bad I am in the middle of a major remodel! and tax season (my side job to feed my christmas light addiction)  Heck I can't even exercise now that my house is all tore up (well at least that is the excuse that I am using)  Need to get it done cuz I got BIIIIIGGGG plans for this year's display now that I have 6 more controllers.  Gotta get busy!!!

Almost 900 views of this thread.  I would hope that there are alot of interest in this 'for fun' contest.  I for one would like to hear some criticism from others that know what to look for in the quality of sequencing.  What better way to learn how to improve your sequencing skills?

So for those of you that have looked at this thread and thought about trying it out  ...  Its not too late.

How about a 'roll call'?   Who's participating in this contest?

Almost 900 views of this thread.  I would hope that there are alot of interest in this 'for fun' contest.  I for one would like to hear some criticism from others that know what to look for in the quality of sequencing.  What better way to learn how to improve your sequencing skills?

So for those of you that have looked at this thread and thought about trying it out  ...  Its not too late.

How about a 'roll call'?   Who's participating in this contest?

I am!

I have seen every sequence and know who created them (advantages of hosting the portal email to the other judges, all they see is V1.lms or N4.lms, only I know the names )  and it makes me proud to be a sequencer you guys have created some great work for just over a minute of sequencing, I love how the music came to life and all it did was make me think, I would love to see this in an actual light show, and George did great on picking the song

Ummm...hmmm.......actually.......uh.....I picked and edited the song.   We collaborated on the display setup.   We haggled back and forth a little bit on the props but I think we are both happy with the result. I originally had a megatree in the setup but we both agreed to change it to a Marty fan.

You should have seen my first choice of song.  The rookies would have keeled over in a faint.  The veterans probably would have loved it.

Edited by Brian Mitchell

My wife and I actually Loves the song,  being that we both grew up in the 80's. It totally sounds like 80's music, totally. LOL

Can you tell us the name of the song and artist so that we may use the song for this season's lightshow?  

I love how the music came to life and all it did was make me think, I would love to see this in an actual light show, and George did great on picking the song

We also are curious what this sequence would look like in real life.  Our display uses the same elements so the sequence that we have created would actually look great to watch.

Edited by ORANGEDOG

The song is Black to white by Mr Mister.  It's on the Welcome to the Real World albumn.  An excellent albumn all the way through I might add.

There are several reasons I chose this song for the contest.  I scanned through probably 100 songs till this leapt out at me.  First, it has a rock solid beat that even a rookie can't miss.  B. I doubt that anyone had sequenced it.  3. I love the interplay of all the instruments in the song.  They all take their turns in front to create an energy and strong dynamic.  I think it's just begging to be in a show although edited down from 4:20 to about 3 minutes. 

The other song I presented to George was the first minute and a half of this song.

However he thought it would be too challenging for newbies and I had to agree.

Mine is done and submitted, finally.  And I'm very happy with my results.  It was hard, but eventually I was able to re-arrange the animator to feature a three minute game of pong.  Beep..Booop... Beep.....Boop.....