Light-O-Rama Forums

Wire Trees - Does anyone build their own 'sturdy' ones?

LORi P

Here's the video I promised

http://vimeo.com/60775188

I figured out the center posts.  I'll make the corrections to the design this weekend.

-RainyOregonChristmas

Great job and very nice design.

One very minor suggestion, I think the limbs should be

pointing up a little bit.

Matt, nice design. A few questions.

1. RGB Pixels or just lights? How would they be strung, Just on the branch tips?

2. Can you finish one or 2 to bring to C.L.A.P? Preferrably with pixels ;)

3. Where were you that there were SHADOWS on the ground in your video? :P

For 2013 I won't have the band width to complete anything like this, but 2014............

Matt, nice design. A few questions.

1. RGB Pixels or just lights? How would they be strung, Just on the branch tips?

2. Can you finish one or 2 to bring to C.L.A.P? Preferrably with pixels ;)

3. Where were you that there were SHADOWS on the ground in your video? :P

For 2013 I won't have the band width to complete anything like this, but 2014............

Scott, yup was planning on bending them up slightly, but hadn't finished the tree, so hadn't done the finishing touches.

Zman, I was designing these trees to be overbuilt and built to last, but the idea was yes, for pixels.  I was thinking of branch tips, and maybe some on the branches themselves.  I got some rainbow pixels I can string up on the trees for CLAP.  I actually REALLY want to

see it all lit up. 

Believe it or not that sunny day was last weekend.  It was t-shirt and short weather.  A balmy 50 something.

Matt, very nice mock up design!! I really like where you are going with this!!! 

Quick question... which pixels are you thinking about using? Strips, modules or nodes??

With a 100' of rod, is this thing going to be shipable? Why not use pixels, smart or dumb, on the China trees?

Haven't looked into the shipping yet, need to finish one and see how small of a box I can cram it into.  After finishing I'll also make a blue print available for those who want to DIY.  The reason I was offering to make them was to make it was its cheaper for an overall cost of materials, construction and paint when done in a batch. 

The sole idea behind this project was to create a mini tree that was better built, and would last longer than a China made tree.  Up further in the thread, you'll see that people are frustrated with how fast the cheap trees fall apart and their lack of ability to hold larger weights.  That's the whole reason this project is going on. 

This is just the first of two designs I am working on.  This one is made completely out of mild steel and is welded so it could be reproduced easily by DIY folks.  The second one has branch brackets that are made out of milled aircraft aluminum.  The brackets are made to hold the branches out when the tree is upright, then when the tree is taken down, the branches can be folded up compactly. That tree requires enough milling that I need to work on it a little to make sure the brackets don't make the cost of the trees too crazy.  Really, to make those trees, I'll need to secure my own mill, I've got access to one to figure out some prototyping, but as far as for production runs, that ones not available.  And sending it out to a job shop would be overly expensive.  When I have my own mill, I will make the brackets in my garage for a minimal cost. 

As far as the lights, it would be up to the individual sequencer.  It would be up to them if they wanted smart, dumb or incan.  I was not planning on shipping these trees lit.  Too many of us have very specific opinions on what lights we prefer.  I just wanted to provide the canvas.  Easily though, we could have anyone of our many light suppliers make custom lengths of lights to fit the trees. 

With a 100' of rod, is this thing going to be shippable? Why not use pixels, smart or dumb, on the China trees?

A few of us have talked about an alternative to the China tree's.  I for one am frustrated with what we get from over there that is good for once season at best.  What Matt is working on is something that would pretty much last a lifetime and be easy to store.  I for one would pay extra for something that will last.

What I was trying to get at in my previous post was,  if you use pixel strings, that would be considerably lighter than super strings.  I don't have any of these china trees, just throwing some ideas out for consideration.

I had two 7' good quality artificial trees last year with 3 guy wires that looked great.  But four colors, snow and wind was able to topple it and ruin the bases.  Trying to set it back up and add a fourth guy wire wasn't much fun and couldn't get it straight.

Are you using all 1/4" steel rod?  Would 1/8" rod  for the little branches work?  Your idea definately has me thinking though  :D

I figured out the center posts.  I'll make the corrections to the design this weekend.

-RainyOregonChristmas

Thanks rainy-

Looks great.  I would even prefer that the main branches to not have the little "v"s of branches on them.  It looks the same in the dark.... takes less metal, lesswork, and adds less weight.  (And makes the painting easier!)

Have you had a chance to work on the folding design??

Thanks!

-RainyOregonChristmas

Looks great, going old school would be cool to have a different channel per layer of branches so that in addition to lighting the whole tree you can do some up and down effects.

Wow nice work. I for one would be interested. I'd rather pay more for something I knew was good year after year.

Have you ever done some work with just hoops? In case you wanted to just string top to bottom and the hoops stacked with spacers and graduated in circumference? I'd like that as well. Seems like that would be pretty easy and the ones I have got are soooo flimsy.

Herb

Ok, so it was starting to rain by the time I finished the tree tonight.  So I didn't take any more pictures, I'll post some when I can get them taken.  The final tree is about 5 1/2 feet tall with seven sets of branches going up the tree.  Each set of branches is two inches smaller than the one below it.  That gives it a nice conical shape. I've left the twigs on the branches as additional mounting points so that they can be used with many different types of lights.  As far as the issues with material diameters for the center post, I've tried many different items, but was stuck as every thing that looked good or worked well together was a special order that would take a few weeks to arrive and some of it was over $3 per foot.  Where I am at now, is I have a proof of concept, I proved it can be done and works well together.  The problem is for a DIY project, gathering all the required materials may be an issue for some. 

Where can this project go from here, that's up to the group.  If there is enough interest I would love to take this to a local wire shop that specializes in fabrication of these types of items and have them make a batch of trees.  I'll talk to them and see if they can get them within our price point with shipping costs as a major part of the consideration. 

For those still interested in a DIY of this project, I'll draw up a schematic and make it available for those interested. 

Since I'm thinking of having these fabricated for those interested, at this point, I think it is time to take that part off the forum to make sure it is in compliance with the new vendor rules.  PM me and I'll add you to an email list if you are interested in having these trees made for you.

LORi, as far as the fold up design, I'm working on the logistics of that part now.  I'm going with 2"dia. aluminum round bar for the stock material cut into 1" thick wafers.  Then I'm milling 6 slots .270" wide and .500" deep radiating out from a center through bore that will most likely be .900 in dia.  I'll also drill a cross hole in the .270 slot so that the branches can be pinned in it.  I'll post a pic of it when I'm finished.

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas

• 1 month later...

Wow nice work. I for one would be interested. I'd rather pay more for something I knew was good year after year.

Have you ever done some work with just hoops? In case you wanted to just string top to bottom and the hoops stacked with spacers and graduated in circumference? I'd like that as well. Seems like that would be pretty easy and the ones I have got are soooo flimsy.

Herb

Herb,

I have drafted up a design for you for a graduated hoop style tree.  I'd like to prototype one for you to consider. (no obligation)  Do you have an idea of what you would like to see for hoop diameters.  Are you looking at like 6,10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, and 34 inch diameter hoops.  That would increase the size of the hoops the same as the "Rainy Tree."  I would build this one a little differently than my current tree.  I would also use Aluminum barstock and strapping with stainless fasteners to insure longevity.  I would also expect the cost of this one to be less than the Rainy tree as the machining is a lot less intense.  I think it would look awesome with RGB strips.  I could imagine chasing the different layers up and down, and chasing the lights around each hoop like a flying saucer. 

I may have a chance to prototype one in a week or two, we'll see.