Light-O-Rama Forums

2012 RGB Highlight Video

Kent Stutzman

No, I didn't do full versions of all the songs.  I spliced together about 15 seconds of 60 or so songs into a couple collages.  Worked really well to try lots of different effects.  How else can you sneak in "I Am the Walrus" and "Helter Skelter" into a Christmas display.

Kent

That is a great idea. I like to do mostly Christmas songs, but playing 15 seconds of some great non Christmas songs here and there is a wonderful idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

Edited by dougd

Very Very nice.......Reading your first post I assume all that was sequenced with LOR & SS?

Yes to LOR S3.  Didn't use SS.  Next year I will be upgrading the megatree to RGB so I plan to user Nutcracker and SS.

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the details Kent, your setup is exactly what I had planned for this year!   Right down to the two E682's and Ray's 2811s - the difference between these and the 3001's is simply amazing..

Kent where did you get the C9's  covers would you have a link   Well i'm going to try this rgb lighting this year after reading so much about it  got to decide on which board to use  also can you tell me if  3inch spacing would be to much for out lining a house  and windows  really enjoyed your video excellent work  thank you  Blair   

Kent where did you get the C9's  covers would you have a link   Well i'm going to try this rgb lighting this year after reading so much about it  got to decide on which board to use  also can you tell me if  3inch spacing would be to much for out lining a house  and windows  really enjoyed your video excellent work  thank you  Blair   

They will have come from Ray's store:   http://www.aliexpress.com/store/701799/search?SearchText=c9+covers

WOW what a show.. Doing some new additions this year so hope I can made a few of you features work.

Jeff

Hi Sysco,

Yes the link Beefer provided for the C9 covers is where I got them. 

I debated between using smart strips or pixel bulbs to outline the house.  I personally liked the individual bulb look better than the strips which, to me, look like a neon sign.  Not putting them down, just me personal preference.  That said, I did my house with 6 inch spaced C9's which, from across the street (60 feet), come close to looking solid, unless you are looking at the string at a 90 degree angle.  I'm also cheap (boy am I in the wrong hobby) and pixels are cheaper than strips and the wider you space them, the cheaper they get.  I probably would have been just as happy with 8 or 9 inch spacing.

If you do 3 inch spacing, especially with C9s, its going to look pretty solid.  If you order from Ray, he can sort of create whatever spacing you like at no additional charge.  I say "sort of" because, at least for me, he treated spacing as the length of the wire between the bulbs.   If you tell him 6" spacing then you will likely get 6" wires between.  If you order the newer flat pixels where the wires are connected at both ends, they will likely be about 6 5/8" from bulb to bulb.  If you get the older more traditional pixels where the wires come in together from the bottom, then they will be about 5 1/4" (your results may vary).  Definitely order samples and hope the real order comes in like the samples, and have a contingency plan if they don't.

As for which controller to use, I did have an issue with one of the 682's occasionally freezing the lights for a few seconds and Jim was very helpful and quick at getting me a replacement.  Other than that, they work as expected.  I don't have experience with J1Sys or other controllers.

Hope this helps.

Kent

Just got back from Vegas and seeing the Beatles "LOVE" Cirque du Soleil...

your Beatles songs reminded of it...

If any of you are going to Vegas it is a MUST see show...some great lighting effects...

If any of you are going to Vegas it is a MUST see show...some great lighting effects...

Yeah, I heard they used my show (just kidding lawyers).  But if they have RGB lights simulating VU meters to Get Back, then I will be suspicous.

Kent

So i have not started playing with Smart RGB strips yet, But was this painful to program or pretty basic? How many universes did you need to use?

So i have not started playing with Smart RGB strips yet, But was this painful to program or pretty basic? How many universes did you need to use?

Hard question to answer.  What's painful to one may be pleasure to another.  Let's just say, I went the DIY route and spent most of the year learning and sequencing and building and wiring.  I enjoyed it, but it was a lot of work.  Seeing the end result was very rewarding and am looking for more effects next year.  CCB is a more expensive but less time consuming.  The sequencing time is about the same, regardless of the option chosen.  If you are an electrical engineer, it is probably pretty easy.  If you have never worked on electrical projects and don't know why it takes two wires to power a light bulb, then you will probably find it difficult. 

Hope this helps.

Kent

• Like 1

.If you have never worked on electrical projects and don't know why it takes two wires to power a light bulb, then you will probably find it difficult. 

Hope this helps.

It takes TWO wires?!?!?! 

Oh S$!  :wacko:

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1

Thanks. 

The house has 2 E682 cards and another E681 mostly off camera to the right in the yard.  There are 18 strands with 50 pixels with 6 inch spacing with the 3001 chip from Ray Wu.  Unfortunately, the 3001s needed power injection at both ends.  The sample 2811 pixels didn't have that problem so, the next batch of pixels I get for next year will be 2811s.

I have 450 linear feet of 1X3" boards with 1/2" holes every 6 inches to keep the pixels straight and keep the exact count of bulbs in each segment.  The boards were a lot of work this year, but should be easy next year.

Kent

Kent

do you have any photos of the pixels on the boards you can post ?

Thanks

Kent

do you have any photos of the pixels on the boards you can post ?

Thanks

Also, On the 1x3 boards you used were they cut from plywood or 1x3 pine ??    cuz i tried attaching my C9 lights to 1x3 pine boards (also primed them first)  and they warped almost to 45 degree by the end of the season 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. 

The house has 2 E682 cards and another E681 mostly off camera to the right in the yard.  There are 18 strands with 50 pixels with 6 inch spacing with the 3001 chip from Ray Wu.  Unfortunately, the 3001s needed power injection at both ends.  The sample 2811 pixels didn't have that problem so, the next batch of pixels I get for next year will be 2811s.

I have 450 linear feet of 1X3" boards with 1/2" holes every 6 inches to keep the pixels straight and keep the exact count of bulbs in each segment.  The boards were a lot of work this year, but should be easy next year.

Kent

What material did you use to make the boards, and how did you fix them to the house (without upsetting the missus!!)

What material did you use to make the boards, and how did you fix them to the house (without upsetting the missus!!)

1" x 3" by 8' pine boards from a lumberyard for about $1.40 per board.  I wouldn't use plywood because it splinters and drilling 900 holes in it would tear it up more so moisture would warp/ruin it quickly.  Most of the boards are on top of the roof so gravity held them in place.  It helps that I live in southern California so the roof isn't too steep.  I was fortunate that the earthquakes didn't shake them off though.  I did add about 8 deck screws to the moulding around the garage door to hold up the boards on the walls.  Boards along the ground to the right of the garage are on bricks.  I gave the boards a couple coats of paint to help as a moisture barrier, and had no problems with warping, but So. Cal. doesn't get much rain. 

I'll try to dig up some pictures.

Kent

• Like 1