Light-O-Rama Forums

Which RGB System?

jem5136

Hi all. I am going to convert most of my display to RGB this year, and I have been looking and searching about different systems for RGB lights. I have looked at all kinds and I I've really found are systems that work for everyone else, but there's something that won't work for me.

I've been thinking about using the Lynx Smart String system, but I don't know if they are the best, or just another system that I could use. What I am wanting is a system that is simple to use and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

So basically what I am asking is which system should I us and something that just simply works? As of right now I am using LOR S3 and then I'll run my regular controllers as DMX controllers to run with that system if I have to; or I'll use xLights to run the controllers.

What does everyone have to say? I am just looking into new controllers and new options for the show.

Thanks everyone!!

Jesse

Hi all. I am going to convert most of my display to RGB this year, and I have been looking and searching about different systems for RGB lights. I have looked at all kinds and I I've really found are systems that work for everyone else, but there's something that won't work for me.

What systems have you looked at and why will they not work for you?

I'm in the same boat.  It appears that the two main systems (1.31) are:

http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-p12r/

http://www.sandevices.com/E681info.html

Thats like asking what truck should I buy Chevy, Dodge, or Ford?  Everyone will have a bias of some sort.  Everyone will have a rational reason to hwhy they did it their way.  

Software wise as much as I think about it, Im hanging onto LOR.   I know the software, BobO and Sean make some amazing tools to make it work harder for all of us to use for free.   If your jumping into RBG then the Advanced license is a no brainer as to run any 1.31 hardware you will need it.

As for pixel controllers, I used the Sandevices boards with 0 issues and once setup they just keep doing as they are suppose to.  With the upcoming release they have 12 universes of control or 2040 total pixels.  Thats a lot of frikin pixels once you start adding up the show.  Again the setup is a bit forign thats why some use the J1sys boards.  I look at it like a VCR in the 80's.  No one really knows still how to set a clock on one, but once its setup you dont mess with it again.  The J1 boards are very popular as well.  Ill let somone who has them chime in.   I see no faults with them, in fact I was going to pick up 2 of them until the E681/2 hybrid upgrades came out.   That sealed it up for me.  Andy used J1 boards and his show is amazing, he has many videos on the setup.

Start reading now, theres a ton out there.  Also ask all the questions you can.

• Like 1

If your talking about systems then the system you want is E1.31, as far as the controllers are concerned there are a few E1.31 controllers from different talented designers all will work within the same E1.31 system so you can mix and match. I use J1SYS and Sandevices plus some other things within my system and they all work happily together. What you need to do is work out what you want to achieve and then look at what controller/s will work for you best as they are all different is some way, but they all drive pixels. If your looking at something that is simple to setup then the J1SYS may be a better choice, If your looking for something that is cheap and in kit form then the E682 may be a better choice, If you want to build a mega tree or the location of different elements within your display can all determine the best fit. Sandevices also sell a plug and play syestem that can be found here but you pay extra for that, so cheap and easy is relative, the more easier it becomes (ie. plug and play) the more expensive it will become

But people must also remember that LOR sells RGB lights as well so you also have to make a decision on if you want to spend the time and effort learning DIY options and be prepared to work on issues if they arrise, LOR will offer a much easier path into pixels but at a cost but your dealing with a reputable company that has good warranty and support. 

So before you commit to anything you need to take a look at what the important factors are and what level of learning and building your prepared to put in. In the end which ever way you go you will be happy because you will get colourful blinky flashy.

I've been thinking about using the Lynx Smart String system, but I don't know if they are the best, or just another system that I could use. What I am wanting is a system that is simple to use and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

So basically what I am asking is which system should I us and something that just simply works? As of right now I am using LOR S3 and then I'll run my regular controllers as DMX controllers to run with that system if I have to; or I'll use xLights to run the controllers.

What does everyone have to say? I am just looking into new controllers and new options for the show.

Thanks everyone!!

Jesse

Jesse, I've used several Lynx products this year, from normal 16 channel AC to 4 universes of pixels fed from a hub using Pixelnet. Worked well, but you have to build it all your self. If your soldering and kit skills are up to it, there isn't a less expensive way to move into high channel count RGB. If you have any specific questions about Lynx products, shoot me a PM. 

I used LOR with 100% E1.31 output and was talking to a total of 7 universes. Technically, I could have fit it all into 4 universes (<2048 channels) but it was convenient to organize it the way I did. If you use the Lynx Smart String controllers and pixelnet, then the Lynx E1.31 dongle will output 32 universes (16,000) channels of data using Multicast. Didn't even phase my home network. 

I also used a second E1.31 device from J1Sys (the ECG-DR4) to put out 4 universes of DMX. With the DR4, you can open the case and use jumpers to move the DMX output from pins 1 and 2 over to pins 4 and 5, making it directly compatible with LOR in DMX mode.

Jesse, I've used several Lynx products this year, from normal 16 channel AC to 4 universes of pixels fed from a hub using Pixelnet. Worked well, but you have to build it all your self. If your soldering and kit skills are up to it, there isn't a less expensive way to move into high channel count RGB. If you have any specific questions about Lynx products, shoot me a PM. 

I used LOR with 100% E1.31 output and was talking to a total of 7 universes. Technically, I could have fit it all into 4 universes (<2048 channels) but it was convenient to organize it the way I did. If you use the Lynx Smart String controllers and pixelnet, then the Lynx E1.31 dongle will output 32 universes (16,000) channels of data using Multicast. Didn't even phase my home network. 

I also used a second E1.31 device from J1Sys (the ECG-DR4) to put out 4 universes of DMX. With the DR4, you can open the case and use jumpers to move the DMX output from pins 1 and 2 over to pins 4 and 5, making it directly compatible with LOR in DMX mode.

The issue with a lynx system for RGB pixels is you are locking yourself in to using pixelnet pixels so in the end this option can be more expensive then most other options even though its supposed to be DIY with building your own controllers.

First of all, I wanted to say why I posted this... I just want to weigh out my options before I spend a bunch of time and money on something that may or may not work!! So, I have been wanting everyone to post what they are using and their opinions about what they're using.

For the replies: I have heard a little bit about SanDevices and J1SYS, but I am wanting to do more research about them. Like I said in my first post, I am wanting to use E1.31 to control all of my pixels, but I will use something else if I have to. Right now I have been looking into the Lynx SS strings, but I don't want to use them because I cannot use them in a local setting, which is where my display might end up.

I've seen others use both systems with LOR and have perfect endings with them; but it's not something I want to venture into without knowing anything. So I'm wandering who has what and what they like about it.

Right now I need something that can be using in a local setting without any problems, I want something that works without having to jump through hoops, and I want something that will last for a while. Also, I've considered using LOR items in my display (such as the CCRs, etc.) but they are just too far out of my price range to cover my entire display and they cost a little too much for my pockets.

Another thing I wanted to chime in on was what other have said, and not just on this forum; but the fact that I am either going to use or might have to use some kind of soldering station. Believe it or not, that would be more than ok, I've used one in the past for a couple of years, and so far everything is working good. I like soldering....js :D

in terms of 1.31 Sansdevices and J1SYS are the two names you will see most often.  Both work without flaws it all depends on how you need to setup the show.

in terms of 1.31 Sansdevices and J1SYS are the two names you will see most often.  Both work without flaws it all depends on how you need to setup the show.

This is what I have been thinking. I am willing to configure anything in LOR, I just want to know what everyone does with both devices and how they work. But I'm wondering though, how the wiring for both of the devices looks like? Do I have to wire each string or just the controller? I'm not exactly sure how each one of these works yet unless I get my hands on both systems and get to try each one out lol

Like William said, you cant go wrong with either Sandevices or J1SYS. Both boards were run by many displays this past year and have showed they work wonderfully with S3. There is a small learning curve but pretty much all you need are pixels, power supply, and one of the above controllers.

Jesse,

It took me less than 20 minutes to setup E1.31 and the P12r the other night. I do have a 682 coming to run my roof this year. Thanks for all the programming you did for me last year and the show was a hit. Now I am stepping it up a notch or two.. You got my number if you have other questions.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Messer

Like William said, you cant go wrong with either Sandevices or J1SYS. Both boards were run by many displays this past year and have showed they work wonderfully with S3. There is a small learning curve but pretty much all you need are pixels, power supply, and one of the above controllers.

I think this is pretty much what I have narrowed everything down to and I just need the pixels, a couple more power supplies and a bunch of controllers! :D I am just wondering what everyone thinks about their RGB controllers, which one works best, the wiring and all that for each of the controllers. That's why I started this thread.

Jesse,

It took me less than 20 minutes to setup E1.31 and the P12r the other night. I do have a 682 coming to run my roof this year. Thanks for all the programming you did for me last year and the show was a hit. Now I am stepping it up a notch or two.. You got my number if you have other questions.

Jeff

I will text you here in a minute.

I would suggesting going here, sign up, and download the terrific primer on a variety of things including 1.31

I've been signed up on here for a while, but I pretty much just sit around and watch what goes on and I don't really start my own threads there like I should. Probably a thread that's a little more involved in RGB.

Everyone thinks that the controller they use is the best. I have heard NO ONE say they wish they had bought the other guys stuff.

• Like 2

Everyone thinks that the controller they use is the best. I have heard NO ONE say they wish they had bought the other guys stuff.

Such a true statement, many will only ever try one or the other and be happy that it does what they want. Every ones opinions is subjective based on their own experiences so if your looking at someone to tell you what to get then that will be based on their own reasonings and experience. personally i prefer the J1SYS due to the ease of the setup and it does what i want. The sandevices is more feature rich but then thats only an advantage if you are ever going to use those features and many most probable wont, Most just want something that drives their pixels for a good price and both the J1SYS and Sandevices will do that, you just need to decide which one fits your needs best.

If you go to ACL I suggest visiting there chat room and asking your questions very helpful.

Edited by MCas4380

Ok, so I have been looking a little bit between both J1SYS and SanDevices, and I am wondering about the J1SYS. Does anyone have photos of their set up that they have had so I can see what each system looks like?

I'm wondering about what the system looks like when it's hooked up and what all I need for it. What is the wiring situation and what all do I have to purchase to make sure everything works? Also, what type of pixels can I use for each system and how much do they cost?

If anyone can post photos, it would be helpful to see what everything looks like when it comes together.

BTW, I think I am leaning toward the J1SYS as of right now, but we'll see what happens.

I don't have any pics yet. But I went with j1sys p12r & the p2. Only other things you will need to make them work if running more than 1 controller is a network switch & pixels. I'll get with Harrison5050 and see if he can chime in to help clarify some here.

I heard my name :P

Check out my youtube channel in my sig for several videos on the J1sys boards. I will be adding 3 more videos this weekend if time/wife allows. Hoping to get the P12R video up and the D2 video up by Sunday night. I also want to hook everything up P12, D2, and multiple P2's all in one video so everyone can see how it all comes together and hit play for some blinky.

If I could offer you one peice of advice for the future it would be........ J1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sysJ1sys! :lol: