Light-O-Rama Forums

What Else to get going?

LSUSaintsMan

The controller and the software is all I have. The typical setup shows a DMX in between the computer and the controller. Do I need that and where can I get it? Is that something that is only needed with the RGB strips I keep reading about.

Actually 1 RJ-11 telephone jack, and two RJ-45 jacks. But they are not ethernet. Cant drill that into you enough. When working with LOR stuff, there is no ethernet. And dumb pixel strips you will need the D.C. controller and a power supply rated to match the dumb strips. How do you plan to get the music out to the viewers? Weather proof speakers? Or a small FM transmitter? One or both will be needed. When most people start off in the past. They where using ican lamps or LEDs, so one of the stock answers were a lot of extension cord or roll your own with SPT bulk roll of wire and vampire plugs and sockets to make your own cords.

Oh, and if your using LOR controllers you will need the USB to RS-485 dongle / adapter between the computer and the first controller.

Download the software now for free. This will not control a controller, but you need to get to work learning the software. And you can create sequences and save them. Then when you buy the lic for the software, you can then use those sequences to control lights. Get it now, there is a learning curve. Heck I have been doing this for over 4 yrs now. And I just got taught a new trick tonight.

Eddy,

I think this is the page he's looking at.

This link that Don posted shows how the LOR system connects up. So if you have the software and a controller then you will need the LOR dongle. I wouldnt even consider DMX at this stage, so stick with LOR as this is your easiest path

Thanks. The dongle is what I was seeing. I can purchase the generic starter pack and should be good to go. Again thanks and I'm sure ill be posting plenty-o-questions over the next 11 months.

• The topic was locked