Light-O-Rama Forums

Full Little Star burst / firecracker

gtoyeah

This is a product that I purchased from China which was very affordable. Each set has 8 tubes with a total of 240 LEDs. The boards themselves are cut so the single LED can be see on both sides of the tubes. With the product being as cheap as it is, its still holding up. product is brittle and required me to make some slight modifications. I had to add hot glue the the bottom and top of some tubes. To insure no water will damage the boards. The effect you see lasts about 15 seconds. After being on longer then 15 seconds the tubes start to drip at different rates of speed. Im planning on using these on my 2013 Christmas Light O Rama (LOR) programed show. These are not programable bu will be a great addition to the show. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/F7mP3uD97q4

can't see the video. .says it is private. 

Those look at a glance like the ones I just received.. far to slow and to dim for my taste.. but I haven't seen your video yet..  They could be different

Those look at a glance like the ones I just received.. far to slow and to dim for my taste.. but I haven't seen your video yet..  They could be different

Yup, says the video is private...

Tried going direct to Youtube to view and comes back with "Owner of this video has not granted you access to this video".

But they sound just like the same lights I bought 2 years ago called Sno-Fall Lights, as their description is almost identical to what you describe.

They can only be used with a full on command only since they {at least mine do} operate off a 12VDC adapter, however my adapters BOTH failed within a short time after being outside, and yes,the adapters were rated for Outdoor use.  So I found a beefier 12VDC adapter in my parts tote and rewired it for mine,  And it has held up Outdoors with a little modification to make it weatherproof for 3 years now,  

The only issue I don't like about them is when they start up they all flow at the same exact rate and takes a few minutes before they start doing their thing randomly.  And most often the music/sequence was over before they went to their randomness.   So for a short sequence, less than2-1/2 to 3 minutes, they'll all move at the same rate.

So when I use them in a sequence, I leave them on full through every sequence all the way to the very end, this way they never turn off and are constantly on during the show times, even between sequences they continue to stay on when all the other display elements may go dark.   And because of the time it takes them to start their random activity is why I opted to do it this way.  They're a cool effect, but since they have their own circuit board and use an DC adapter you can't dim, fade or use any other options.

However, they may or may not be hackable to use with something like an E28x and other hardware for added control.  I haven't looked into this, so I can't say if this would even be possible.

I bought a set too on ebay.  Yeah, they are really cheaply made, but I liked the effect also.  I'm thinking to add silicone to the tops of all of them and drill a weep hole in the bottom.  That way if some moisture gets in, it can get back out.

The item can be found here.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/200851487963  

I purchased mine on the 8th and it was here by the 22nd.  Pretty good for a slow boat from China.

Yup, says the video is private...

UMMMMM. I dont know why. Im sorry guys. I'll try uploading it again. Im not even sure how to make it, " Private".

Also, maybe you could help me. Im not sure why, but I can see the video fine. On this forum and on my website. Perhaps because I, "made" it. If you could help me. On my website it also shows up there working fine. If you have a moment could someone check and let me know if it shows " private" there too? Thanks guys. Im always learning something.

www.runyanlights.com

Under the tab "updates" 

Tried going direct to Youtube to view and comes back with "Owner of this video has not granted you access to this video".

But they sound just like the same lights I bought 2 years ago called Sno-Fall Lights, as their description is almost identical to what you describe.

They can only be used with a full on command only since they {at least mine do} operate off a 12VDC adapter, however my adapters BOTH failed within a short time after being outside, and yes,the adapters were rated for Outdoor use.  So I found a beefier 12VDC adapter in my parts tote and rewired it for mine,  And it has held up Outdoors with a little modification to make it weatherproof for 3 years now,  

The only issue I don't like about them is when they start up they all flow at the same exact rate and takes a few minutes before they start doing their thing randomly.  And most often the music/sequence was over before they went to their randomness.   So for a short sequence, less than2-1/2 to 3 minutes, they'll all move at the same rate.

So when I use them in a sequence, I leave them on full through every sequence all the way to the very end, this way they never turn off and are constantly on during the show times, even between sequences they continue to stay on when all the other display elements may go dark.   And because of the time it takes them to start their random activity is why I opted to do it this way.  They're a cool effect, but since they have their own circuit board and use an DC adapter you can't dim, fade or use any other options.

However, they may or may not be hackable to use with something like an E28x and other hardware for added control.  I haven't looked into this, so I can't say if this would even be possible.

I would have to agree. As you said you were not happy that they all started and stayed on the same pattern for several seconds. Thats why I liked them. I'll only have them doing this effect for about 10-15 seconds. They are mounted to Plywood with the wires being sealed behind. Its a look Im gong with. And you are right about them not being Hackable. They are poorly made, but with the mods I think I may get a few seasons out of them. I can only hope. =) If not, im not worried. $8 each set. I think I can afford that.

One other thing that I was surprised with is the size of each tube. They are very narrow. About the size of my thumb. Well see what happens. Only time will tell.

I would have to agree. As you said you were not happy that they all started and stayed on the same pattern for several seconds. Thats why I liked them. I'll only have them doing this effect for about 10-15 seconds. They are mounted to Plywood with the wires being sealed behind. Its a look Im gong with. And you are right about them not being Hackable. They are poorly made, but with the mods I think I may get a few seasons out of them. I can only hope. =) If not, im not worried. $8 each set. I think I can afford that.

One other thing that I was surprised with is the size of each tube. They are very narrow. About the size of my thumb. Well see what happens. Only time will tell.

LOL.........You and I must be the only ones who like them, but with your effect on the plywood I really think they look cool In fact I'm going to order some from ebay tomorrow..........hope you don't mind if i copy your idea........would you share you ideas for doing mods on them

I took another look at your video, did you get those on ebay cuz in the video they look longer than what i saw on ebay, could you tell me how long they are or if you put 2 end to end..sorry but I really like the effect

Hmm, I may have to steal, uhm borrow, your idea.  Using them that way really looks cool.  Mine are not as long as the ones you have, they are much shorter.  And when I bought them I definitely paid way too much for them!   The ones I have are 10 per strand and I bought two strands of them back in 2010 and paid I think just a bit over $200 for those things.

Where did you buy yours from for $8/each? 

Definitely would love to get the longer ones and use them like you have in your video. 

I think mine are like around maybe 8"-10" long, yours look to be almost 3 times the length of what I have.  But they are the same size diameter wise, about the width of a thumb or slightly smaller.    But I've never had any issues with my light tubes, just the adapters for each string died within 4 days of being outside, and since I bought them off season, they were out of warranty, so had to locate a new 12VDC adapter and modify it, which has worked for going on 3 years now.  My tubes were sealed very well, have never discolored or cracked and are very bright.  The only flaw they do have is the last LED flickers when the last LED is reached.  Just a quick blink, but still too noticable to use in the way you have yours set up, and I don't recall seeing an addition flash at the end on yours.

Learned a new way and technique on how to use those icicle or sno-fall lights as mine are called in a better and more efficient way, but with that last LED flash before it starts over just wouldn't look good, at least I wouldn't think so.

I never even thought about doing something like that with them as short bursts for effects.  Definitely a very cool effect.

Yes. I did purchase them from eBay. They are 50cm or about 29 inches each tube. If you need photos or any thing else let me know. Thanks again.

Not sure if these links work...

30CM/50CM Meteor Shower Fairy Light 144/240 LED 8P Cable Wedding Party Christmas

Look at this on eBay:

http://bit.ly/WExKQ4

Looks like be raised the price. Wow. Guess I got a great deal before. Either way this is still a good deal. The only thing to keep in mind is that shipping took a LONG time. Guessing....5-6 weeks.

Not sure if these links work... 30CM/50CM Meteor Shower Fairy Light 144/240 LED 8P Cable Wedding Party Christmas Look at this on eBay: http://bit.ly/WExKQ4 Looks like be raised the price. Wow. Guess I got a great deal before. Either way this is still a good deal. The only thing to keep in mind is that shipping took a LONG time. Guessing....5-6 weeks.

Damn, They just DROPPED the price.  I paid $3.30 more for shipping. (The lights were the same price as this when I bought.)

I got the 30CM ones.. they took 45 days to get here.  I was not too happy about that but they seemed to be trustworth.. at the 40 day mark they didn't even show as being in the country so I asked for a refund.  They were very nice about it and accomodated me...  When they finally did arrive I contacted them and repaid them.  All in all, except for the very last email I got from some one named Vincent, I was happy with the service.  

I was not equally happy with the lights.  I was hoping for fast and brighter.. but at $15 I guess I got what I paid for..

I have about 70 12" tubes up in two large trees and drip at a faster rate.  You can't tell if they start to randomize.  They are cool to drip to the beat on fast songs.  Also very cool and visitor favorite when the display is in static mode.  I have some 35" tubes that I use for a burst.  I welded some 1/4" rod to a steel plate and wire tied the tubes to the rods.  They stand out well up in the air and nothing going on behind them.

I have about 70 12" tubes up in two large trees and drip at a faster rate. You can't tell if they start to randomize. They are cool to drip to the beat on fast songs. Also very cool and visitor favorite when the display is in static mode. I have some 35" tubes that I use for a burst. I welded some 1/4" rod to a steel plate and wire tied the tubes to the rods. They stand out well up in the air and nothing going on behind them.

Perhaps any pictures/video?

Yes. I did purchase them from eBay. They are 50cm or about 29 inches each tube. If you need photos or any thing else let me know. Thanks again.

A few pics Or Videos would be nice so I can steal copy, Errrr   duplicate your idea Thanks 

Edited by gmac

A few pics Or Videos would be nice so I can steal copy, Errrr   duplicate your idea Thanks 

Sure I can post a quick video of how I made it. Its very easy. In the video I can explain what materials I used. Im sure that someone else could come up with a "better" way, but this works for me. Stay tuned till tonight....